April 25, 2024, 08:49:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Did you test this?
No thanks - 7 (38.9%)
Yes - 7 (38.9%)
Yes, using it regularly - 3 (16.7%)
Yes, explicitly testing some pull requests - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please test (if you dare): next-test 2013-04-12  (Read 2934 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 07:43:02 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2013, 10:04:38 PM by Luke-Jr

next-test is a branch of the master bitcoind & Bitcoin-Qt code with as many pull requests merged as possible, to aid in testing them. This branch can be used to test many pull requests in your daily Bitcoin use. The goal is to help pull requests get the testing they need to be merged into the main tree, so once you test a change, please comment in the relevant pull request (ideally with details).

Please note these might possibly corrupt your wallet. No warranty of any kind of provided. BACKUP YOUR WALLET

Today's next-test includes the following pull requests (green are merged now; red are disputed):

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2013, 08:03:54 PM

For the record:

I think testing a gazillion pulls at once is madness, because if something doesn't work it can be incredibly difficult to figure out which of the gazillion changes made it break.  Assuming that just once change made it break and not some subtle interaction between two or three or six changes...

If you want to help test, I think it would be much more helpful if you find a feature you care about, grab the binaries that the pull-tester creates, test thoroughly, and then report results in the pull request on github.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:24:05 PM

If you want to help test, I think it would be much more helpful if you find a feature you care about, grab the binaries that the pull-tester creates, test thoroughly, and then report results in the pull request on github.
Indeed, thorough testing of individual pull requests is by far better (and safer).

kerogre256

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:45:05 PM

For the record:

I think testing a gazillion pulls at once is madness, because if something doesn't work it can be incredibly difficult to figure out which of the gazillion changes made it break.  Assuming that just once change made it break and not some subtle interaction between two or three or six changes...

Agree too many things ....
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:46:20 PM

I'm not really sure how you devs are organized, but at another project I'm working on we have a patchbot. Translated to this here, it would make a new build every time a new changeset is posted to a pull request. Then it runs the test suite. If it passes, it reports back to the pull request and provides a link to download this specific binary.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:48:40 PM

I'm not really sure how you devs are organized, but at another project I'm working on we have a patchbot. Translated to this here, it would make a new build every time a new changeset is posted to a pull request. Then it runs the test suite. If it passes, it reports back to the pull request and provides a link to download this specific binary.
That's exactly what the Pull Tester Gavin mentioned does already...

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:50:19 PM

If you look at the pull requests this seems to be the case with bitcoin too... however the bot doesn't seem to build trunk + all pull requests at once, only trunk + single pull request.

I'm not too sure what to test with these binaries though, maybe if I "need" 2-3 features I can save on building time?

On a different note, is there a buildbot that one can run and that would somehow help devs? I don't mind donating some CPU time and space for a VM that builds and tests builds automatically in the background if it means having a better/more stable client...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 08:54:59 PM

If you look at the pull requests this seems to be the case with bitcoin too... however the bot doesn't seem to build trunk + all pull requests at once, only trunk + single pull request.
Yes, combining many pull requests is not trivial and requires a real human to do.

I'm not too sure what to test with these binaries though, maybe if I "need" 2-3 features I can save on building time?
Well, the idea is you can run it as your ordinary everyday client (with the awareness that it has a lot of untested and potentially broken code) and maybe hopefully stumble upon some bug we're not thinking to test for explicitly.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:20:55 PM

I'd recommend to implement something along the lines of "non-final builds of bitcoin-qt need to have mainnet explicitly enabled, just like official releases need to enable testnet explicitly".

Might make it easier for people to try out stuff like this and minimizing potential losses of "real" coins.

A con would be of course that then there would be an artificial ecosystem and bugs with mainnet (like the "database heavy blocks" hard fork recently) might be lost. The main focus on these releases seems to be something else though anyways (checking if several pull requests cause strange effects with each other).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 09:32:24 PM

Since this is posted in the general forum board, can someone explain to me like I'm five:

Are there Windows installers available with only one thing changed, or at most a group of strongly related changes? Any chance developers can decide on high-priority pull requests, and build multiple installers for people to test on their machines?

If so, is there a list of recommended things to try when testing?

Where to get testnet coins?

Does it even make sense to spend human users' time testing this, as opposed to automating testing in some way?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 10:04:56 PM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: