Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:43:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin thread on OCN, 27 pages in 12 hours  (Read 13392 times)
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 06:59:19 PM

We have a new contender for 'post of the thread'

What I don't think the fanbois of this are comprehending is that this system allows the person that can credit bitcoins the ability to rape and pillage everyone else in the system. It's a new twist on the old pump and dump stock scheme. The guy at the top could be selling bitcoins like mad and making a killing. There's zero transparency in the system and that's dangerous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 07:00:40 PM

The worst part is that that was only a few posts after my info post...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 10:48:35 PM

Must be Chinese.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 11:06:22 PM

Nah, he said economics.

And anyone that wants to help keep me in that forum to explain things to people, I'd appreciate donations Cheesy

Whole lotta herp and derp and lots of work to straighten out people from thinking bitcoin is a scam.
Anonymous

April 27, 2011, 11:19:41 PM

You think this is bad you should have seen the aussie thread about bitcoin on our largest tech and internet related site. For people who claim to like technology they are pretty much luddites when it comes to bitcoin.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 11:34:19 PM

You think this is bad you should have seen the aussie thread about bitcoin on our largest tech and internet related site. For people who claim to like technology they are pretty much luddites when it comes to bitcoin.

This is what I've experienced as well. I would think people see "revolution", instead they see "scam". I wonder what this says about society? Probably nothing.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:13:45 AM

This is what I've experienced as well. I would think people see "revolution", instead they see "scam". I wonder what this says about society? Probably nothing.

Well, it would be weird if bitcoin don't have any critics or that people would figure out that this is the best thing since sliced  bread.

Ricochet

Activity: 373

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:19:54 AM

To be fair, at first glance Bitcoin *does* seem like a bit of a scam, especially if it's introduced in the "use CPU cycles to generate free money!" stance.  It's only once you realize that its purpose is to be an alternate currency, not a pyramid-based get-rich-quick scheme, that you truly appreciate it for what it is.  It only takes a tiny bit of reading to get to this point, but let's face it, the majority of the people involved here (gamers) don't exactly have the attention span to really care.  And honestly, I'm okay with that.  They're not ready for it, and so we shouldn't try to force it upon them.

They'll come around eventually.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 12:22:02 AM

And here's a bunch of people who don't get it, but seem to be optimistic and trusting by nature.

http://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28335

edit: maybe they get it, but they aren't focusing on it.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:28:04 AM

Bitcoin is too good to be true. But not in the way these gamers are assuming. Econmically speaking it is truly a godsend and quantum leap in monetary technology.

It is amazing to see how similar the reaction was in the poker thread and the whirlpool-techo thread. Eventually they'll come around like this;

- first they'll make up their mind, open-source=good (i,e, not a scam)
- second, they'll see other people are trading it=good (i'm not the only idiot on this planet, sheeple)
- third, they'll see that it is going up in value=good (i'm really not an idiot but a genius because I can make money, sheeple2)

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:37:26 AM

I wonder how the recent revelation that Gavin Anderson is doing a presentation on Bitcoin for the CIA would trip up these mental giants, but I'm not willing to join the fray to try it.

Honestly, I would have expected the membership on an overclocking forum to be a bit more tech savvy.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
rezin777

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:38:40 AM

Of course, I don't expect people to quit their jobs and remortgage the family farm to invest in bitcoins, but have the decency to read about something before throwing around wild accusations. What am I thinking, the typical reaction is exactly what I should expect.
rezin777

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:41:18 AM

Honestly, I would have expected the membership on an overclocking forum to be a bit more tech savvy.

This is what I thought as well, but apparently these overclocking forums are mostly a bunch of kids trying to get crysis to run smoothly.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 12:45:25 AM

This is what I thought as well, but apparently these overclocking forums are mostly a bunch of kids trying to get crysis to run smoothly.

Grin

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 12:47:56 AM

Bitcoin is too good to be true. But not in the way these gamers are assuming. Econmically speaking it is truly a godsend and quantum leap in monetary technology.

It is amazing to see how similar the reaction was in the poker thread and the whirlpool-techo thread. Eventually they'll come around like this;

- first they'll make up their mind, open-source=good (i,e, not a scam)
- second, they'll see other people are trading it=good (i'm not the only idiot on this planet, sheeple)
- third, they'll see that it is going up in value=good (i'm really not an idiot but a genius because I can make money, sheeple2)

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

If only there was a way to get paid for figuring this out early...

AmpEater

Activity: 232

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 01:04:40 AM

"Honestly, I would have expected the membership on an overclocking forum to be a bit more tech savvy."

You said it brother. I seriously didn't see a single google-search informed opinion the whole time. One damn google search
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 06:21:10 AM

Ho-lee-crap!

BTC generating difficulty is about to skyrocket.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 10:50:27 PM

Now up to 139 pages.

Though I see a lot of NVIDIA users dropping out.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 11:54:19 PM

Now up to 139 pages.

Interesting, I wonder if bitcoin will force nvidia to put out a gpu that can do integer as well as ati/amd now?

If punter comes to buy gpu card and says "how is it for gaming?" ... gets the yada-yada-yada from sales guy and then he says "and how is it for bitcoin mining?"

... nvidia blank-stare Huh

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 11:59:53 PM

Now up to 139 pages.

Interesting, I wonder if bitcoin will force nvidia to put a gpu that can do integer as well as ati/amd now?

If punter comes to buy gpu card and says "how is it for gaming?" ... gets the yada-yada-yada from sales guy and then he says "and how is it for bitcoin mining?"

... nvidia blank-stare Huh
I'm from OCN.

Even more interesting is the complete LACK of 5xxx series GPU's for sale on the forums currently, vs the dozens of NVIDIA 4xx and 5xx series GPU's for sale.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: