Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:04:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: inmotion hosting company turns away bitcoin site.  (Read 3128 times)
roller24 (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:15:23 PM

I was looking into hosting company today, to host mall.bitcoinmegamart.com
Flat out denied me, stating that they don't host bitcoin sites.
is there a valid reason for this? Now I want to host my 5 non bitcoin sites there and run cgminer.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:17:42 PM

Not sure why a business would want to turn down a paying customer. If they are too good for your money there are lots of other companies that aren't. 

bluelithium

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:19:11 PM

is there a valid reason for this? Now I want to host my 5 non bitcoin sites there and run cgminer.

You may like to try our plans => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=617213.0

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 10:25:45 PM

maybe because they think if your hosting a bitcoin site, hackers will do everything possible from social engineering (annoying host with fake email stories) brute forcing FTP passwords (hacking) or plain ddosing the site out of bitterness or jealousy that you have coins and the hacker doesnt.

after all its the hosts servers hackers would be abusing, not yours. all you own is a few files, and its not in the hosts benefit to ramp up such security for just a few dollar a month payment to protect a dozen files.

try a bigger more secure hosting service.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
roller24 (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 11:30:13 PM

Let's leave the IRS out of this..
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 02:15:23 AM

Try supporting hosts that take btc payments.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:23:22 AM

I think franky1 is onto something there.  If they don't have a rock-solid secure infrastructure insofar as security is concerned they more than likely don't want to invite the bitcoin hacker talent anywhere near their systems.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:10:06 AM

Get yourself a VPS if you plan to host a few sites, put CPanel on top of it for convenience or any other control panel and you're good to go. The host will not have to secure your VPS, and if your VPS is hacked, the host's other data is not compromised.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 08:06:47 AM

Try supporting hosts that take btc payments.

it has been 'hinted' that some hosting services run by people that accept bitcoin are where the real hacking has happened.. (inside job). if your running a service that has a hot wallet, use a host that does not know about bitcoin but has the security infrustructure to surpress bruteforcing/ddos attempts.

the 'hinting' suggests that btc hosts get greedy and look in on your code and take a few coins out of the hot wallet. then claim that thir servers were hacked, leaving you to explain it to customers.

the "we were hacked" excuse does not fly with me, either the webwallet service stole it, or their hosting providor did. there are not that many cases of outsid hacking that are to blame for funds disapearing.

so try to avoid putting webwallets/hotwallets on hosting plans where the server owner knows too much about bitcoin, where the ease of access for the server owner is too tempting to not steal from you.

my advice summary:
use well know and reputable non bitcoin related hosts that have actual security to avoid hacking. do not try these less unknown services that seem to be set up in bitcoin enthusiasts basements with no security. then have code that does not do the actual bitcoin withdrawals on the server, but does withdraw requests to a database. and then have a off-server system(24-7 internet connection hotwallet) that reads this database once every few seconds. to then verify the request and does the withdrawal off-server. thus the server does not communicate to the off-server system. the off-server observes the server, meaning no IP address will be in your code for the off-server hotwallet. (use server for information display only(front-end/balance display/sql trading engine)) (use off-server system for verification, updates and hotwallet withdrawals(24/7 internet connection)) and still have a cold wallet that not on the internet 24-7 for upto 90% of coin storage

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
roller24 (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:57:49 PM

some sound advice, thanks all
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 11:59:21 PM

What was the nature of your bitcoin business may I ask?  Just wondering if perhaps they just had more of an issue with content rather than bitcoin itself?

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 02:03:36 AM

How about that it is their comapny and they can do what they like?

Free market, anyone?

Been gone for a while due to health issues but everything is OK now.

Just kind of took a break from the madness of crypto!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
factor280

Activity: 326

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 02:13:54 AM

Sounds like a rookie mistake. Why would they turn down a paying customer?

Sig Space for Rent! PM Me.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 02:27:15 AM

Free market, anyone?

In the final analysis this is essentially correct. They are a private enterprise that can turn away anyone they want. I just don't see the point in turning away income.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 03:05:31 AM

Free market, anyone?

In the final analysis this is essentially correct. They are a private enterprise that can turn away anyone they want. I just don't see the point in turning away income.

Eh, potential liability problems, etc.

Who cares?

Just go someplace else!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
juju

Activity: 381

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 04:02:27 AM

Its because your not just hosting files, your running cgminer on their servers, this is CPU intensive and your server most likely has very limited CPU resources. I know Digital Ocean will not let you run mining software if you specifically request mining as the reasoning for allocating more Virtual Machines.

Who gives a fuck really they should lose your business, just choose another site, I think I remember reading that some hosting providers even accept Bitcoin now.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 04:09:09 AM

I use http://www.bitronictech.net

I pay in bitcoins, the rates are good and the service is the best I have ever had with a hosting company.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
roller24 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:09:35 AM

What was the nature of your bitcoin business may I ask?  Just wondering if perhaps they just had more of an issue with content rather than bitcoin itself?
it's in my signature, it's a bitcoinstore, just put it in production. Ive been working on the site for a while, it's got a long way to go.
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:23:48 AM

it's in my signature, it's a bitcoinstore, just put it in production. Ive been working on the site for a while, it's got a long way to go.

Interesting.  Just reviewed your product categories (you have alotta them) and didn't see anything on there content wise that would give them an excuse to ban your site.  Except for maybe the stuffed bears Wink

Nice looking site, I see you currently support both PayPal and bitcoin.  Any plans on adding support for alt coins in the near future?

rext

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 06:36:57 AM

I'm sure there are other companies that will take your business.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 09:44:45 AM

This is why, a lot of webhosts will deny you if you want to run a miner on their servers, they're trying to keep down the costs, otherwise I couldn't think of any other reason, if you look at Bitcoin based webhosts they'll usually tell you if they're okay or not with running a miner on their servers.
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 05:10:09 PM

Sounds like it was shared hosting. For $50 bucks a month you can get a dedicated Dual Xeon X5650 server from Dacentec and do whatever you please. & they accept Bitcoin
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: