Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:48:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Marshals: One Auction Bidder Claimed All 30,000 Silk Road Bitcoins  (Read 1932 times)
_smudger_ (OP)

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:19:05 PM

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/02/someone-just-paid-19m-for-29656-5-bitcoins-seized-by-the-u-s-government/

"Although the exact amount paid by the bidder is unclear, Wired and others estimate that $19 million was paid — an estimate which aligns with the current bitcoin to USD exchange rate."

Noruka

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:42:15 PM

Ya know what is funny? That Coindesk article has links to source docs for some of its assertions, but it does not reference any statement by USMS themselves about the results.

Are they just making stuff up? If not, why not disclose the source? It's not like they are the paragon of investigative reporting.

They (US gov) gives the option for the buyer of any of their auctioned off seized or foreclosed properly to remain anonymous they desire. The fact the property which is BTC doesn't make a difference in that, unfortunately. The BTC community would like to have it disclosed, but the gov. could care less.

DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:34:19 AM

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/02/someone-just-paid-19m-for-29656-5-bitcoins-seized-by-the-u-s-government/

"Although the exact amount paid by the bidder is unclear, Wired and others estimate that $19 million was paid — an estimate which aligns with the current bitcoin to USD exchange rate."
The articles that I have read say that the value of the coins is presently $19 million and the price paid is unclear.

This spot for rent.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:35:46 AM

Ya know what is funny? That Coindesk article has links to source docs for some of its assertions, but it does not reference any statement by USMS themselves about the results.

Are they just making stuff up? If not, why not disclose the source? It's not like they are the paragon of investigative reporting.

They (US gov) gives the option for the buyer of any of their auctioned off seized or foreclosed properly to remain anonymous they desire. The fact the property which is BTC doesn't make a difference in that, unfortunately. The BTC community would like to have it disclosed, but the gov. could care less.

Well, looks genuine. Story from others is that Tim Draper won the lot. My skepticism was unfounded.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:40:09 AM

California has now legalized bitcoin, and I'm pretty sure other states will eventually follow.

I seem to be clarifying this over and over. The CA situation is unique. They had an old law on the books that made certain types of payments illegal. Bitcoin just happened to fit in this category. The new law merely exempted Bitcoin from this absurd law.

Other states (most? all?) have more reasonable laws, and therefore do not require this exemption.

In the united States of america, if something is not explicitly _illegal_, then it is _legal_.

IOW, it is perfectly legal on (most? all?) other states without them needing to pass such a law.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: