Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:00:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinReturn - Discussion of Current Issues and Possible Future Actions  (Read 6070 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
SamboNZ (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:43:14 AM

Check the state laws about recording people, some state allow it with out consent some do not.

Thanks.  I imagine the PI would know this tho.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 01:45:22 AM

If you do approach him, make sure u have a video camera recording of anything thing he says.
Under either of the 2 scenarios (scam or SEC trouble) I highly doubt he would say anything in person or on camera if ya caught up w/ him. IMO, if it was SEC trouble then they should just pay the fine and refund us our money and then carry on their private trading outfit amongst themselves. How long do they think they're gonna lay low and avoid penalty if they're already on the radar? I bet this was all well and fine until they either got spooked or notified and then they just stopped the trading and won't resume or pay divs/refunds which would prove their involvement. So, they dipped on us and outside of siccing the authorities on them the show is over.

Well, whatever the scenario, I want to give them a chance to explain and I think we need to at least try to get some kind of answer.  Refusing to answer at all might actually still tell us something.
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:32:53 AM

Just a quick update on progress (or more accurately; lack thereof unfortunately).

Tom's ID Verification
I am waiting to hear back from one of the parties who can provide this service, and then I can make a decision on the best option moving forward.  Regardless, I will make a decision tomorrow night (my time; 24hrs from now) and then get this moving.  Once I give the go-ahead, we should hopefully get some results back fairly quickly (within 48hrs).

Domain Contact Information
The domain privacy company have now said that they require some kind of 'legal notification' before they will reveal any information, which is both disappointing, and contrary to what is written on their website.  So unfortunately we'll have to put this on the back-burner for now.

I'll keep you posted on my progress (or further lack thereof!) Smiley
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 10:55:49 AM

I have decided that a Private Investigator located near the address on Tom's license is the best option for verifying his ID and have sent off the license details to him.  Hopefully we will hear back from him soon.
deadwood

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 07:36:48 AM

Here's my two cents:

1. Kudos with being responsible with the ID. A witch hunt is definitely something we don't need right now.
2. A PI is an infinitely better idea than just going over there yourself for reasons others have stated (mostly, a PI should know some of the laws about recording people or dealing with them in general. That's why they're PIs). I liked the flowers idea though.
3. This might still be a scam, long con, or whatever, but it is also likely that the guys had good intentions  but at some point something happened - human error, computer crash, whatever - that lost them their bankroll and the easiest way out was to just up and quit. It's not like everyone who had $50 invested there will fly over and put pressure on the agencies that can shed light on this situation - and I frankly don't even know which they would be. The police? This isn't theft, it's closer to fraud, but did you guys sign a contract?
Anyway, I'm not trying to start a flame war about which laws this might fall under, I'm just saying it might be a bit difficult to solve in court.

However, good luck with the proceedings and do keep us posted. I am not against chipping in to hire a PI - though at this point this is just for closure for me.

Thank you!
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:22:29 AM

Thanks Deadwood, I pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

No contract was signed.

I'll definitely keep you posted on how things are going.
weatherman

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:35:15 AM

Just a quick update on progress (or more accurately; lack thereof unfortunately).

Tom's ID Verification
I am waiting to hear back from one of the parties who can provide this service, and then I can make a decision on the best option moving forward.  Regardless, I will make a decision tomorrow night (my time; 24hrs from now) and then get this moving.  Once I give the go-ahead, we should hopefully get some results back fairly quickly (within 48hrs).

Domain Contact Information
The domain privacy company have now said that they require some kind of 'legal notification' before they will reveal any information, which is both disappointing, and contrary to what is written on their website.  So unfortunately we'll have to put this on the back-burner for now.

I'll keep you posted on my progress (or further lack thereof!) Smiley

So whats the update mate?
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:51:57 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2014, 10:53:56 AM by SamboNZ

Unfortunately the PI hasn't returned my emails since my last post here, which is odd, because previously he was very responsive.  I will try to get hold of him by phone tomorrow morning my time (+12hrs from now).  Unfortunately the timezone difference between me and him means that there is only 2-3hrs of overlap when I can ring him during business hours.

If this PI doesn't respond soon, I'll fall back to the other one I checked out earlier.  He's more expensive, but hopefully also more responsive!
StakeHunter

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:51:01 PM

I for one did not sell at a loss and still hold all my shares. So I am very interested as to your progress.
Any information is better than none. And I support your methods.
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:53:21 PM

Thanks StakeHunter, I appreciate the feedback.  Hopefully we can get some confirmation on the ID soon!!
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:19:16 PM

Just rang the PI - No answer.  Left a voicemail for him to contact me.
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:26:35 AM

I just received a reply from the PI I sent the license information to.  He has sent the information to the DMV and expects to receive a reply 'next week'.  I have asked him if it is possible for him to give me a more specific timeframe and I will report back when he replies.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:00:43 PM

It is a holiday weekend so I don't imagine the DMV will open until Monday at least. Yes, I'm stating the obvious. Cheesy
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:17:24 PM

Got another reply back from the PI regarding timing for the information regarding the license; "should be Monday".

He also sent the following:
I did some research through the databases we use that contain personal identifiers, address, and lots of other information on people here.  Nothing comes up on him with that birth date and nothing on his name in this state at all.  This is quite unusual for a 29-year-old guy and indicates he his not living a middle class lifestyle with credit cards, etc...

A search of database records on this address revealed no ties to a Thomas Mica.

No criminal records were found in the state on anyone named Thomas Mica.

No corporations or other business entities connected to his name in this state.

I did some extensive searching on the Internet I am finding nothing at all pertaining to a Thomas Mica in this region of the country.

So not a particularly good sign, but we'll see what comes back from the DMV.
RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 12:21:06 AM

It does not have to be a workday to get a DMV check. I can get one 24hrs a day.

SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 01:08:36 AM

Well, that's what he told me.  Maybe this is due to the holiday weekend as Chef Ramsay suggested?
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:08:28 PM

It's beginning to look like a back bencher case of the Usual Suspects. Not a whole lot of coinage at stake here but perhaps they timed this thing right up until the next bull run so they can have a stake to cash out. Undecided
bcmine

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1055

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 06:01:17 PM

It's beginning to look ....

I think thats the final puzzle in their game.

1. ipo shares every second day and paying a third of it in dividends for two months. ---> typical ponzi stated from johny08 in april
2. after that, they sold a bunch of shares for 100 btc and a month later they left. People were buying like crazy, what was not looking trustworth...

SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:31:06 PM

No update from the PI today.  I have emailed to confirm.
SamboNZ (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:20:45 AM

Ok, heard back from PI; it appears that he has a specific contact that he deals with at the DMV, who may be on leave at present.  He will give it another day and then try someone else.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: