Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:22:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you consider when calculating a value of a coin?  (Read 665 times)
MTJ151 (OP)

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:27:36 AM

I've noticed lots of people saying 'this coin is cheap atm' or 'it's overpriced atm'.

All in all, I believe that only thing that gives these 'numbers in computers' any value is the agreement between everyone that they are actually worth something. Similar to fiat mostly being numbers on a computers in a bank or just paper. However, I can also see that people have put much time, effort and energy into the production of cryptocurrencies and feel the the value cryptos it is more 'real' then fiat because it's backed by that time effort & energy.

Different factors obviously effect the value of a coin. From what I can tell, the price of a coin can depend on a lot of things. From the coin supply and mining factors to whether or not there is a pump or dump happening. Even emotions seem to make a difference.

I made this post because I am curious about how people decide on the value of a coin. Do some people use a particular calculation to say a coin should be worth more/less and ignore other factors? Maybe you consider things like community to be the most important when deciding value? Perhaps some people just follow their emotions? A little bit of everything maybe?

Do we mostly use a particular way or does everyone do it their own way?

How do you feel your method works out for you?

Please discuss!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:29:16 AM

solid dev team . high daily volume (like millions not thousands) and fair distribution

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
Willisius

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

I'm really quite sane!

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:01:16 AM

Look in the OP. The chance that it is a worthless pump-->dump-->abandoned-by-dev coin increases with each of the following words/phrases being present: revolutionary, investment opportunity, premine for development/promotion, the next bitcoin, the next dogecoin.

You're right, coins have no intrinsic value and they are priced at whatever someone is willing to pay. People saying a coin is "cheap atm" or "overpriced atm" are attempting to lure you into helping them make a profit. It's hard to judge to value of a coin, but I think that CoinGecko does a good job of weighing in the important factors.
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 03:07:17 AM

Look in the OP. The chance that it is a worthless pump-->dump-->abandoned-by-dev coin increases with each of the following words/phrases being present: revolutionary, investment opportunity, premine for development/promotion, the next bitcoin, the next dogecoin.

You're right, coins have no intrinsic value and they are priced at whatever someone is willing to pay. People saying a coin is "cheap atm" or "overpriced atm" are attempting to lure you into helping them make a profit. It's hard to judge to value of a coin, but I think that CoinGecko does a good job of weighing in the important factors.

was going to take coingecko seriously till I saw doge higher then litecoin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
MTJ151 (OP)

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:07:38 PM

Had not seen coingecko before... looks good!

Poor doge is not doing too well at the moment though Sad
Draksum

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:15:19 PM

been watching DOGE go downhill in value with a heavy heart, hope it bounces back
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: