Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:56:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This Bitfinex Credit Bubble cannot end well  (Read 62038 times)
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:06:27 AM

"Effectively insured." No, they do not guarantee lenders a damn thing. And do the math, 15% insurance off swap fees vs. actual swaps....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coinfan

Activity: 653
Merit: 217

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:47:21 AM

The words were reiterated a few days ago, but are just words:

"No we continue to cover the default of traders. Hence our changes to ensure no default happens" (http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/2akrbp/psa_bfx_is_making_some_changes_to_margin_trading/ciw69d5).

In the end, the guaranty against default is reversing trades.

But if there were defaults, despite a reversal of trades, and they didn't honored this promise, they would have problems to stay in business. The damaged to their reputation would be heavy.

Therefore, in face of the losses, they will balance what is best: to pay and keep in business; or, end the business and run away.

If I recall well, it was in April 2013, because of the crash and connection problems with Gox, since it wasn't possible to liquidate positions, they end up paying the lenders losses, even without any promise in that sense. Of course, it was a relatively small value. Now we are talking about millions of potential losses.

SCAM ALERT: All order books of The Rock Trading Exchange (www.therocktrading.com) are created by their bot and they use them to scam customers. They are also trying to steal 35519 euros. Read an updated summary on the OP
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Coinfan

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:10:18 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2014, 04:26:56 AM by Coinfan

Speaking about running away and since this thread is becoming the unofficial (and unmoderated) thread on Bitfinex...

The Hong-Kong corporation registry allows searching on a corporation (https://www.eregistry.gov.hk/icris-ext/apps/por01a/index#) and getting all the information they have on the partners, but it seems Bitfinex (iFinex Inc.) no longer is incorporated there, now it's at the British Virgin Islands (BVI), as they state in their home page.

The BVI Registrar website (http://www.bvifsc.vg/) only has information about regulated entities, not about the other more than a million corporations they incorporated.

However, some members have checked the Hong-Kong registry before the information was deleted. It doesn't seem proper to publish it, but I wonder if someone is willing to share it in a PM?

SCAM ALERT: All order books of The Rock Trading Exchange (www.therocktrading.com) are created by their bot and they use them to scam customers. They are also trying to steal 35519 euros. Read an updated summary on the OP
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 04:53:05 AM

However, some members have checked the Hong-Kong registry before the information was deleted. It doesn't seem proper to publish it, but I wonder if someone is willing to share it in a PM?

What's the problem with publishing it exactly? If it was public information, I don't see why it would be an issue. In fact, I'm not sure why they would delete it. I know when I search dissolved/suspended corporations in my work, the records are retained. Out of curiosity, what are you looking for?

Coinfan

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 11:08:14 PM

Clearly, right or wrong, Bitfinex doesn't want that information published or they would publish it.

I think customers have a right to know, even if they don't like. Other people, no. It's not hard to get the information, but it's harder than if it's published on a forum post. I wouldn't like to see my name published on a forum in association with bitcoin.

Since I'm a customer, my goal is to know the full name of all owners of Bitfinex and any other relevant information. I hope I won't ever need it, but...

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:24:22 AM

Clearly, right or wrong, Bitfinex doesn't want that information published or they would publish it.

I think customers have a right to know, even if they don't like. Other people, no. It's not hard to get the information, but it's harder than if it's published on a forum post. I wouldn't like to see my name published on a forum in association with bitcoin.

Since I'm a customer, my goal is to know the full name of all owners of Bitfinex and any other relevant information. I hope I won't ever need it, but...

But you dont have a public bitcoin business so you could have an expectation of privacy.  IMHO officers of bitcoin businesses should be public knowledge... might discourage cut and run.
hollowframe

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 02:22:27 AM

We might increase leverage in the future if we see our swap market is cooling off a little.
For the time being we believe it's a good idea, for the sake of traders, liquidity providers and the bitcoin market to slow down a little the growth of our swap total market.

I hope this helps.

Have a good day

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

"Earlier today, Mt. Gox halted trading, saying the market needed to "cool down""

I knew i heard that phrase somewhere else before...  Cheesy

Hehe, I don't know about the validity of that analogy, but this is a pretty clear acknowledgement by Bitfinex that swaps/leverage have gotten out of hand vs. liquidity.

"cool down" is a very common phrase... bitfinex is guaranteeing the lender's principal, AND it schedules the margin calls.  In other words, bitfinex can choose to not execute a forced sale if it wants.  So clearly they aren't going to do margin calls so fast that they flash crash to the point where principal is lost because that will be suicide.  Its therefore unlikely we'll get a deep flash crash on bitfinex alone... but a flash crash (or even something smaller than a crash) on other exchanges could trigger a big flash crash on bitfinex.
I don't think they guarantee the lenders' principle. Do you have a link/quote to back this up? AFAIK lenders are putting their money at risk, although they do have ways that should protect your money.

You used to be able to choose "insured" or "uninsured" swaps.  They sent an announcement around a month or so ago increasing their take and saying that they will all be "insured" now.  You are right, what exactly that means is perhaps unclear.
Unless the swaps would be "insured" by some 3rd party insurance company that has the ability to pay out an insurance contract in the event that the market were to crash/spike and they were unable to close out the margin positions in time (I would doubt they have this kind of insurance) then you would basically be betting that they have the financial ability to cover any trading losses in excess of 100% and without being able to audit their financial records, this (IMO) means very little.
Marbit

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 03:34:34 AM

You used to be able to choose "insured" or "uninsured" swaps.  They sent an announcement around a month or so ago increasing their take and saying that they will all be "insured" now.  You are right, what exactly that means is perhaps unclear.
Unless the swaps would be "insured" by some 3rd party insurance company that has the ability to pay out an insurance contract in the event that the market were to crash/spike and they were unable to close out the margin positions in time (I would doubt they have this kind of insurance) then you would basically be betting that they have the financial ability to cover any trading losses in excess of 100% and without being able to audit their financial records, this (IMO) means very little.

BFX takes 15% of swap interest that would otherwise be paid to lenders, to build an insurance fund. As far as I know, they have not made any obligation to pay beyond that fund. I assure you it does not amount to $32 million... Wink
hollowframe

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:36:48 AM

You used to be able to choose "insured" or "uninsured" swaps.  They sent an announcement around a month or so ago increasing their take and saying that they will all be "insured" now.  You are right, what exactly that means is perhaps unclear.

BFX takes 15% of swap interest that would otherwise be paid to lenders, to build an insurance fund. As far as I know, they have not made any obligation to pay beyond that fund. I assure you it does not amount to $32 million... Wink
I don't think it says specifically that this is used to pay for their insurance fund. How I read it, this is more their commission and will be their profits and could very well have been paid out to their owners already.

You are correct in that with current interest rates, there is no way that the 15% would be able to cover 100% losses from all margin trades, however would probably be enough to payout if losses were not too severe, that is assuming this is what those funds are being used for.
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:33:03 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2014, 05:44:35 AM by ask

I have a solution for Bitfinex issue:

- on 21th Bitfinex or some of their friends sells 5000 BTC at market price, bitcoin price drops to 500 USD
- new rules starts immediatelly afterwards
- price continues to drop, margin calls accelerates price drop
- at 1 USD a big chunk of money is waiting to buy everything (part of money from 5000 previously sold bitcoins)
- remaining money is used to push bitcoin price higher above 700 USD - and new baloooon is triggered

All those 5 steps are done within a minute. Only bitcoins changed their owners...
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:58:59 AM

- on 21th Bitfinex or some of their friends sells 5000 BTC at market price, bitcoin price drops to 500 USD
- at 1 USD a big chunk of money is waiting to buy everything (part of money from 5000 previously sold bitcoins)
- remaining money is used to push bitcoin price higher above 700 USD - and new baloooon is triggered

All those 5 steps are done within a minute. Only bitcoins changed their owners...

Don't give them ideas...
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 10:13:10 AM

Don't give them ideas...

They can actually sell coins from hot wallet which don't belong to them, actually they belong to their customers. It is a scenario which has  100% probability to be successful.

Market is not regulated...
DavidHume

Activity: 235
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 04:41:30 AM

Don't give them ideas...

They can actually sell coins from hot wallet which don't belong to them, actually they belong to their customers. It is a scenario which has  100% probability to be successful.

Long term businessman don't kill the goose which laid the golden eggs.

lay785

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 06:55:17 AM

Don't give them ideas...

They can actually sell coins from hot wallet which don't belong to them, actually they belong to their customers. It is a scenario which has  100% probability to be successful.

Except for gox
Leina

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:11:08 AM

Don't give them ideas...

Except for gox

Mark Karpeles is a software developer. Not a good businessman as some posters here already pointed out.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:13:34 AM

believe me they do, look how many "features" did they deploy after they kicked me out 

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:52:47 AM

believe me they do, look how many "features" did they deploy after they kicked me out 

What's your story with Bfx?

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
BitBits

Activity: 144

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 07:00:42 PM

A former disgruntled employee, who made it his business to bash Bitfinex with every opportunity (...for about some year now I think)

Empty
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 08:05:28 PM

early i joined bitfinex like a adviser in 2012 and since what i put on the table did push bitfinex up from deep shit  R promised to give me 25% of shares from bitfinex and when he registered the company on early 2013 but he dint and i dint get any document of that, then my theoretical 25% share got diluted to 20% to make room for additional investors, then using the excuse that i dint want to put money for bitfinex loses, i dint recognize the loses because there was no external audit and R already edited the database giving money to special friends so he turn around and said well i was not a share holder just like a adviser like i was in 2012 so he kicked me out

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
Newbie1022

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 09:54:00 PM

What do we think gang? Is ol' faithful going to blow Monday or are we going to get enough of an uptick from the Dell news once people wake up in China that it is going to save the riskiest players? I recently adjusted my position entering back in on the Dell news this morning, but still entering some flash crash catching bids on the exchanges in case she blows. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts and analysis. You all have been around the block longer than I have.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: