Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:49:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use Log-scale Bitcoin charts everywhere!  (Read 3273 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:08:54 AM

Another issue is that since the demise of MtGox, when people do use a log chart, it's usually the Bitstamp chart which only goes back to late 2012, totally missing the previous history, including the Great Bubble of June 2011 and extended period of under-valuation through 2012.
+1

There have been log charts created that use Gox data and switch to Stamp data some time last summer when the price on the two exchanges was at par, but they are few and far between.

from http://blockchained.com (my site)
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitdraw

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 04:12:32 PM

bitcoin growth is mainly driven by the network effect, which to me indicates a more exponential style curve.

in general log scale is the thing to use for exponential growth, so i also apply this to btc.
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:39:37 PM

Similar is the issue with the price. People think that Bitcoin is not divisible. I offered 0.1 Bitcoins to my other friend (6 months ago) as a gift and he refused because it seemed to him as a joke and argued that he would like to own exactly 1 Bitcoin or none at all.

To me, this is the bigger issue. We need to switch to mBTC so people won't feel small getting $5 worth of bitcoin.

I've been telling the powers that be (Mt. Gox, Bitstamp, Coinbase, Bitpay, Bitcoin Foundation, etc.) this for a long time but nobody listens.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:41:31 PM

As much as I agree that log scale charts are the proper way to view Bitcoin price history, using it as a marketing tactic to dupe newcomers into buying up the price ranks up there with mBTC/bits (wherever the hell "bits" came from) and "place bids with sideline funds to create the appearance of support to push the price higher" as my biggest peeves in this community.

Glad there is still some sensible folk around here. Everybody seems so intent on finding ways to pump the price all the time. This whole BITS thing..... Undecided they literally want to dupe newbies into thinking they are getting more than they are.

No, bits (smaller units with a name that can be remembered by any layman) is needed to make prices of goods easier to read and understand, and to overcome the irrational fear of indivisible bitcoin. Has nothing to do with pumping or luring newbies. If all it takes for newbies to invest is to give them few gazillion of new shiny coins, then dogecoin would've been through the roof, but it's not, just jumping up a little Wink

Well, DOGE did shoot through the roof for a while before collapsing back down to reality. Wink

I'm not sure I understand why this is necessary to for laymen to understand/read/use, especially considering BTC has already achieved such acceptance as a unit.
Because most people are unbelievably stupid. Perception is 99% of marketing. What it can actually do comes secondary. Those of us here, now, are mostly among the 1%. For the rest, there are cheap tricks and media hype.

Unfortunately, THIS.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 07:38:50 PM

As much as I agree that log scale charts are the proper way to view Bitcoin price history, using it as a marketing tactic to dupe newcomers into buying up the price ranks up there with mBTC/bits (wherever the hell "bits" came from) and "place bids with sideline funds to create the appearance of support to push the price higher" as my biggest peeves in this community.

Glad there is still some sensible folk around here. Everybody seems so intent on finding ways to pump the price all the time. This whole BITS thing..... Undecided they literally want to dupe newbies into thinking they are getting more than they are.

No, bits (smaller units with a name that can be remembered by any layman) is needed to make prices of goods easier to read and understand, and to overcome the irrational fear of indivisible bitcoin. Has nothing to do with pumping or luring newbies. If all it takes for newbies to invest is to give them few gazillion of new shiny coins, then dogecoin would've been through the roof, but it's not, just jumping up a little Wink

Well, DOGE did shoot through the roof for a while before collapsing back down to reality. Wink

I'm not sure I understand why this is necessary to for laymen to understand/read/use, especially considering BTC has already achieved such acceptance as a unit.
Because most people are unbelievably stupid. Perception is 99% of marketing. What it can actually do comes secondary. Those of us here, now, are mostly among the 1%. For the rest, there are cheap tricks and media hype.

Unfortunately, THIS.

Maybe not stupid, but for sure most humans are mentally lazy, and always select a path that involves minimum amount of mental work aka thinking. So having prices in units that they are used to is an immense help for most people to not reject bitcoin as something too hard for perception. Seeing "0.00176 bitcoins" requires you to count digits after the period and do mental acrobatics to arrive at the actual value you can compare with; if on the other hand you see "1760 bits" you can immediately put it in a "about 2000 bits" category where you will have other things that cost the same to compare to; so the shopping becomes easy, and that's what most people need. less thinking, more shopping Smiley

Of course, it will be more convinient to nominate houses and yachts in BTC for quite some time; there's nothing wrong with having two units, most currencies do.

i am satoshi
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: