Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:18:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Linux 2.0 alpha 3 - Fully Working Paper Wallet Creator  (Read 1230 times)
onelineproof (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2014, 02:33:31 AM

Hi,

I'm happy to announce the Pirate Linux is now a fully functioning Bitcoin paper wallet creator. Since my old posts (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60542.0), Pirate Linux is no longer based on Ubuntu, but rather based on Hardened Gentoo. Paper wallet creation isn't the main purpose of the project, but this alpha release is designed especially to have a fully functioning paper wallet creator that you can boot up live and easily create a paper wallet for cold storage. I am not claiming that it is perfect, but I think this is currently the most secure paper wallet creator that exists. Unlike other paper wallet creators, it does not use Ubuntu, and it does not use a browser (coded in pure C). Also, there is an encryption feature that I think is superior to the overly-complex BIP-38 method. The passphrase (allowing the alphanumeric, space, and hypen characters) (base-64) gets converted to base-256, and this is used as a one-time-pad that gets added byte-wise to the secret part of the private key in base-256 representation, so the encryption is perfectly secure, with no loss of randomness.

Guide with screenshots and more information: https://piratelinux.org/?page_id=774

Some interesting parts from the guide:

As you can see, the first page contains the QR code of the encrypted private key (encrypted to your passphrase), the address written on top, and the encrypted private key written on the bottom. The second page contains the QR code of your passphrase together with the written version of your encrypted private key and the written version of your passphrase. The first page is meant to be stored in a safe location, such as in a physical safe at home (can be covered in plastic). The second page is more compact, and is meant to be cut out into the size of a business card, and kept in your pocket when you travel. For example, if you are moving to a different home, you will need to take the first page with you, but this can be scanned or searched at an airport, so it is safer to have it password protected, and in case you forget the password, you can have it in your pocket.

Cwallet will output each address and private key in Bitcoin’s base-58 format. It will also check to make sure that the private key correctly corresponds to the address by performing a multiplication in Elliptic Curve space. When converting between different bases, a reverse conversion is made to verify that the conversion went well. When inputting a private key, its hash portion is checked to make sure that it correctly corresponds to its content portion. Each conversion from a public key to an address is computed twice and both versions are compared for consistency; as is each conversion from a base-256 private key to Bitcoin’s base-58 private key. Pdflatex is used create the PDF file as it is a clean and well tested method of creating PDF documents. We use qrencode with the highest error correction level. A passphrase may be given to encrypt the private key with a one-time-pad derived from the passphrase. The program is written in C, the dependencies are minimal, with the core functions contained within less than 1000 lines of code. This makes it very easy to audit Cwallet for correctness and security.

Also, stay tuned for the next release of Pirate Linux (in a month), which will bring more advanced anonymity features as well as dark-wallet setup to go through Tor...

The uncorrupted Bitmark protocol: https://github.com/bitmark-protocol/bitmark
Email <my username>@gmail.com 0xB6AC822C451D63046A2849E97DB7011CD53B564

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:30:50 AM

I am not claiming that it is perfect, but I think this is currently the most secure paper wallet creator that exists.

Except for Mycelium Entropy of course Wink
onelineproof (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 11:16:44 PM

I am not claiming that it is perfect, but I think this is currently the most secure paper wallet creator that exists.

Except for Mycelium Entropy of course Wink

First, Mycelium Entropy seems still to be in development...

Second, it does not have as many features. You cannot passphrase-encrypt the key, for example.

If you want something more compact, then I can envision Cwallet being installed to small device like a phone or tablet, and work just like a hardware wallet, also with the ability to print to paper.

Mikez

Activity: 508

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:56:07 AM

Quite interesting! Will give it a shot tomorrow.
I'm curious, why the switch from Ubuntu?

onelineproof (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 05:05:03 AM

Quite interesting! Will give it a shot tomorrow.
I'm curious, why the switch from Ubuntu?

Thanks for trying it. Feedback is always welcome.

I used to like Ubuntu since it seemed to do what any other Linux distro can do, but is easy to use and has a large support community. But that's until I discovered Gentoo. Gentoo takes open source to a whole new level. When you install a package, you are not just pulling in a binary, you are pulling in the source code and it gets compiled (and its dependencies) automatically on your machine. Like this you do not have to worry about backdoored/corrupted binaries. What you see (in the source code) is what you get. So it fits more in line with my philosophy (transparency) as well as the philosophy of the Pirate Party. Some may say it is a hard distro to use, but I think the main part that takes a considerable amount of patience is installing it. Once it's installed, it's quite easy to maintain. With Pirate Linux everything is set up and ready to go. You can even build the entire distro from source using my build script (on github), without having to manually configure anything.

trasla

Activity: 707

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:28:07 AM

First, Mycelium Entropy seems still to be in development...
Second, it does not have as many features. You cannot passphrase-encrypt the key, for example.

There are working devices existing, the indiegogo stuff is there in order to fund mass production, to get a lower price per device.
And you are correct, at the moment it does not support passphrase-encryption.
But since the software will be open source, you (or anybody) could easily change the behavior and flash it onto the device.

Anyway, for questions / concerns regarding ME, we should probably move over here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: