Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:14:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709798 times)
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 11:46:34 AM

SO has their been any news from Bitmain regarding the s1 upgrades yet or this still a no go. As I see can only order from them for them in pairs of 2s and wanted to maybe buy 3 units and also buy upgrade modules for old s1s that are now beginning to collect dust.

Your are MUCH better offer selling your S1s and buying S3s than waiting for these "upgrades" that may or may not actually happen. I know these DIY projects appeal to us all but financially a miner that is just sitting around is losing money.

I disagree.

If you can still ROI with your S1 then run them as long as they ROI, once they do no longer ROI to to less GH/s per watt compare to the S3, you have to do the math if the S3 is a good purchase or not.

Right now if you get free electric energy it takes 84 days to ROI using this data as input
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator
9% difficulty increase
2% pool fee
440 GH/s hash rate
at 0.68BTC is $395 dollars
340 watts at the wall
0 electric cost

This is a best case scenario,
now with 0.1 Dollars per kwatt
it takes 97 days to ROI

at 0.2 dollar per kwatt
164 days to ROI

at 0.25 dollars per kwatt it does not ROI.

once it is time to buy a miner do the math, if it ROI in 30 days or less, then it is a great buy, up to 60 days it is a good purchase, beyond that it is high risk, specially if the calculator tells you there is no ROI.

Right now Bitmain is priced the best in regards that all the other miners do not ROI, but Bitmain really needs to lower the price for us to make money, the calculator does not lie, the problem if see if the same problem I see with other hardware vendors if the miners where priced to ROI less say in 45 days then they would prefer to mine themselves, and they do, so that is why it takes so long to ROI, and any miner that ROIs in more than 60 days it is very high risk.

We need decentralizacion we have that on the software en p2pool, however we do not have that in the hardware, and time goes by bitcoin mining has become more and more centralized, I believe this will not last forever at some time in near future it will begin to decentralized again.

The mining problem is a big one, here is why, Bitcoin is a great financial revolucion, and to support that revolucion one of the best ways it is mining because it secures the network by having mining decentralized, and the very large mining pools are not to be trusted, some of the very guys that run very large mining pools are taking about implementing the idea of clean coin for their own profit furthermore they sell all the coins they mine that is a very clear indication that they do not believe in the bitcoin revolution, only on bitcoin profits. therefore it is important for us to mine, it is very important that the average person supporting this revolution mines, however mining at a loss is no fun, or if ROI takes 200 days then there is absolutely no way be will  get bitcoin decentralized in the short term.

One thing for sure stay away from pre-orders that are longer than a week, and only pre-order something that is already in production.

Bitmains model of selling within 48 hours was great, I do not know why they changed to preorders like the rest.

my advice, before ordering any miner use the calculator above, and stay away from all calculators that do not take into consideration  the difficulty increase, your profit is not liner, it is logarithmic.

The profit of a miner is the summation of a convergent geometric series, most people on these forum do not know what that is, and you do not need to know either, it is something the guys that wrote these calculators had to know, just use the calculator and you will be fine, most do not even use the calculators, otherwise how do you explain Neptunes selling a $4 per GH/s, or BFL even at much higher prices.

The only reason the SP30 does not look good, it is a preorder months in advance, and it is very hard to predict anything with accuracy that much in advance.

At some point in time once enough S3 are sold, the S3 will have to drop down in price severely do to market reasons, there are many miners including myself waiting to make a large purchase on a miner that can ROI in 30 to 45 days, and all the ones that have purchased at higher prices will not have any more rooms on their houses due to limits on electric energy available and due to the heat generated by the miners.

If Bitmain sold the S3 so it would ROI in 30 days, they would make a huge profic for themselves and for the miners and also help to decentralized the hardware mining distribution, but I do not see that happening, as of now if you have free energy it would take 3 monts to ROI, and if paying 25 cents or more per kilowatt there is no ROI.

Otherwise it is a matter of time before someone  new steps in the hardware game.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:11:21 PM

My advice, before ordering any miner use the calculator above, and stay away from all calculators that do not take into consideration  the difficulty increase, your profit is not liner, it is logarithmic.

Great analysis, everything you wrote is right on the spot.

Keep in mind there has been a few weeks already that many KnC Jupiters were shut down, they produce less BTC than their power consumption in areas with expensive electricity, look for other threads that report this. Don't let yourself get caught in this situation, do your homework carefully. That being said S3's look like best offer on the market right now.
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 12:42:55 PM

I am still looking to see if anybody else here has seen this when they try to log into their S3?

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:448: Failed to execute function dispatcher target for entry '/'.
The called action terminated with an exception:
/usr/lib/lua/luci/sauth.lua:87: Session data invalid!
stack traceback:
   [C]: in function 'assert'
   /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:448: in function 'dispatch'
   /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:195: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:194>

I had logged  on the miner a few times with no problem and this is what comes up when I try and log on now. The miner is still mining and if I log into it thru Putty I can still get into the frequency, so it seems the password is still working  but i'm afraid of rebooting or using the reset button until I know I will not brick the miner. Bitmain has PM me that he turned it over to his engineer and I hope to hear something soon but was wondering if anybody else has seen this problem.
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:01:21 PM

I am still looking to see if anybody else here has seen this when they try to log into their S3?

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:448: Failed to execute function dispatcher target for entry '/'.
stack traceback:
   /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:195: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:194>

I had logged  on the miner a few times with no problem and this is what comes up when I try and log on now. The miner is still mining and if I log into it thru Putty I can still get into the frequency, so it seems the password is still working  but i'm afraid of rebooting or using the reset button until I know I will not brick the miner. Bitmain has PM me that he turned it over to his engineer and I hope to hear something soon but was wondering if anybody else has seen this problem.

Tried /etc/init.d/uhttpd restart
It might give the process a kick to get it running again... The error you're seeing is to do with the web interface on the S3 screwing up when trying to handle the authentication, according to one bug report, when one process is writing to the session data at the same time another is reading it out. Does the error happen every single time, or just every so often?

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
PlanetCrypto

Activity: 462

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:12:11 PM

What 7.5-8.0 TH/s looks like.
Dissipating ~24,000 BTU.
Most PSU's = EVGA 1300's, powers 3 S3's each with current to spare.
Bitmain Rocks!

Just curious, where do you get your power cables?

They are supplied with / included with the EVGA 1300's.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Lowell904

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:16:11 PM

I just noticed that and deleted my post.
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:20:40 PM

stack traceback:

Tried /etc/init.d/uhttpd restart
It might give the process a kick to get it running again... The error you're seeing is to do with the web interface on the S3 screwing up when trying to handle the authentication, according to one bug report, when one process is writing to the session data at the same time another is reading it out. Does the error happen every single time, or just every so often?
Thanks for the reply I have sent you a PM so not to clog up this thread.
Junkbarman

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:21:10 PM

@Planetcrypto that "Fan Door" is faking hilarious. Does it exhaust straight outside?
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:22:12 PM

What 7.5-8.0 TH/s looks like.
Dissipating ~24,000 BTU.
Most PSU's = EVGA 1300's, powers 3 S3's each with current to spare.
Bitmain Rocks!

Hot Damn! Nice setup!

Thanks Man
Have prettied up the wiring since I took that pic.
"Why Waltz when you can Rock'N'Roll."

Dude, you have 24 units. You should be getting over 10TH/s, do the math. Try using only 2 cables per unit, you will likely see a big improvement.

The first rack are S1's, the second rack are S3's.
As of last night, the 12 S1's are hashing @ 2,265 GH/s, and the 12 S3's are Hashing @ 5,228 HG/s for a total of 7,494 GH/s.
After that measurement, I overclocked the S3's to 237.5MHz and am monitoring them to see which ones are capable of this increase.
This morning it seems I have 2 "problem children" that don't like the increased clock rate.
But am hashing around 7.9 TH/s.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:26:40 PM

@Planetcrypto that "Fan Door" is faking hilarious. Does it exhaust straight outside?

Exhausts directly to the outside.
There is so much airflow that even in a Thunder Storm there is no water infiltration into the building.
And I don't have to sweep the floor. All the dirt ends up in a pile just below the bottom fans.

Cheapest solution to having the gear survive a Minnesota Summer.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
aurel57
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:27:21 PM

As of last night, the 12 S1's are hashing @ 2,265 GH/s, and the 12 S3's are Hashing @ 5,228 HG/s for a total of 7,494 GH/s.
After that measurement, I overclocked the S3's to 237.5MHz and am monitoring them to see which ones are capable of this increase.
This morning it seems I have 2 "problem children" that don't like the increased clock rate.

what do you pay per KW?
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:33:08 PM

Pics of the "Wall-O-Fans"/Fan Door may be found here:  http://xmpp.planetcrypto.net/images/

Next to Duc Tape, single-component polyurethane foam sealant is the neatest invention since sliced bread.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:41:10 PM

what do you pay per KW?

Less than .0986/KWH.
We are building/installing a solar farm to supply the energy required.
Payback/breakeven on the solar farm is 24-26 months and is grid tied, so under Minnesota Statutes any excess generation the power company must pay us for.
By the end of the year, the power company (Lake Country Power) will be our backup power source.
And if w ever decide to cease mining operations the solar farm ends up becoming a nice little revenue stream.
It is a fact in America that the cost of electricity NEVER goes down and tends to track with the cost of living.
The secret is to be on the supply side of the equation versus the consumption side of the equation.
And with installed solar at less than $1.00/W this is a reality.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
atledenin

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 01:48:40 PM

Every half hr, lol, thats waaaay too often.

Once a day or every 12 hrs should suffice.

is 12,00 * * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
the command for restarting every 12 hours, then?

could someone comment if this is OK to put this in <System> tasks instead of ssh-ing?

The timing in cron works like this -

*     *     *   *    *        command to be executed
-     -     -   -    -
|     |     |   |    |
|     |     |   |    +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
|     |     |   +------- month (1 - 12)
|     |     +--------- day of        month (1 - 31)
|     +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)

So you could set the reboot for 1am and 1pm by doing 0 1,13 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer restart

Yes, you can add it via the web interface.   Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 02:18:31 PM

what do you pay per KW?

Less than .0986/KWH.
Payback/breakeven on the solar farm is 24-26 months and is grid tied, so under Minnesota Statutes any excess generation the power company must pay us for.
By the end of the year, the power company (Lake Country Power) will be our backup power source.
And if w ever decide to cease mining operations the solar farm ends up becoming a nice little revenue stream.
It is a fact in America that the cost of electricity NEVER goes down and tends to track with the cost of living.
The secret is to be on the supply side of the equation versus the consumption side of the equation.

1USD/watt is crazy cheap for installed solar!!

care to share details?

im still waiting on some 500w kickstarter panels to turn up that were scheduled to turn up in april...

they were considerably more exp than 1USD/w

Tad off topic, but here goes.

Like Bitcoin mining the solar installation industry is the "Wild Wild West". Caveat Emptor

ML Solar on eBay, from time to time, sells the Sharp 250HAT's SHIPPED @ $0.76-$.087 per watt. But for the best pricing it's best to call and talk to them directly (no eBay selling fees) http://mlsolar.com/.
www.sunelec.com sells a variety of panels that are in the sub $0.50/W range.
We have purchased product in the past from http://www.simpleray.com/, we are listed with them as "Solar Installers".

For grid tie installations we like the enphase microinverters (http://shop.mlsolar.com/Enphase-M215-60-2LL-Solar-Power-Inverter-180917011985.htm), and for battery bank installations we use exclusively the MorningStar MPPT Charge controllers (which by far have the fastest MPPT algorithm in the industry and the best warranty coverage) http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt-600v/.

Probably will regret doing this, but, contact me @ admin@planetcrypto.com

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:13:28 PM

I really appreciate the info on solar. We're going that route as well .
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:14:50 PM

did you priced it in TX? Which distributor?
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:15:28 PM

Every half hr, lol, thats waaaay too often.

Once a day or every 12 hrs should suffice.

is 12,00 * * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer restart
the command for restarting every 12 hours, then?

could someone comment if this is OK to put this in <System> tasks instead of ssh-ing?

The timing in cron works like this -

*     *     *   *    *        command to be executed
-     -     -   -    -
|     |     |   |    |
|     |     |   |    +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
|     |     |   +------- month (1 - 12)
|     |     +--------- day of        month (1 - 31)
|     +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)

So you could set the reboot for 1am and 1pm by doing 0 1,13 * * * /etc/init.d/cgminer restart

Yes, you can add it via the web interface.   Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

Great info. Thanks
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 03:32:40 PM by allcoinminer

what do you pay per KW?

Less than .0986/KWH.

1USD/watt is crazy cheap for installed solar!!

care to share details?

im still waiting on some 500w kickstarter panels to turn up that were scheduled to turn up in april...

they were considerably more exp than 1USD/w

Tad off topic, but here goes.

Like Bitcoin mining the solar installation industry is the "Wild Wild West". Caveat Emptor

ML Solar on eBay, from time to time, sells the Sharp 250HAT's SHIPPED @ $0.76-$.087 per watt. But for the best pricing it's best to call and talk to them directly (no eBay selling fees) http://mlsolar.com/.
www.sunelec.com sells a variety of panels that are in the sub $0.50/W range.
We have purchased product in the past from http://www.simpleray.com/, we are listed with them as "Solar Installers".

For grid tie installations we like the enphase microinverters (http://shop.mlsolar.com/Enphase-M215-60-2LL-Solar-Power-Inverter-180917011985.htm), and for battery bank installations we use exclusively the MorningStar MPPT Charge controllers (which by far have the fastest MPPT algorithm in the industry and the best warranty coverage) http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt-600v/.

Probably will regret doing this, but, contact me @ admin@planetcrypto.com

How you are connecting the miners? DC to DC or DC to AC to DC?
PlanetCrypto

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:27:55 PM

We would be interested in participating in a group buy.
Volume pricing is a good thing.

Solar powering just makes a good business decision.
Pay for input costs 1 time versus a re-occurring cost.
Isolates input cost fluctuations. Amortization of Capex becomes input cost.
Builds equity in the business.
Federal Tax incentives.
Possibly State Tax incentives.
Possible State rebates (cash).
Installation can be Depreciated.

The list goes on and on.

Oh yeah and it doesn't screw the planet in the process. lol.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: