Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:31:25 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Litecoin is dead ?  (Read 3750 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:19:27 AM

I'd be pretty upset if so, I'd have lost some if it was true!

I'm not much for speculating but I predict it'll go back up in price shortly, there's a lot going on in the world and in news. Just give it a chance!

NO ONE (besides crypto newssites) is reporting about Litecoin. The whole world is looking on bitcoin, and Bitcoin only. besides this there are many other alt coins with way superior technology out there. LTC is like Video2000 or Betamax. There is no need for it, it has no advantages, it has lost the battle. Get out ASAP.

You forgot to mention not well tested "superior technology".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

doo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:20:44 AM

Thanks for the link, I didn't know about it.

I am just asking because I am loosing so much money. Maybe I should convert my litecoin in bitcoin as soon as possible...It seems to go down day after day..

You should get out of Litecoin. But Bitcoin doesn't have much upside potential.
Now we sunk to pure trolling level.

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:22:14 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2014, 08:34:36 AM by devphp

Testing older technologies proved they are vulnerable. Now what?

Oh, did I say a blasphemy about the almighty Bitcoin? I am sorry. So if I really think it doesn't have much upside potential, is this considered trolling? Why? Even one of Bitcoin developers sold half of his Bitcoins, because he doesn't feel confident Bitcoin will win the race due to its flaws, what other signs do you need?
Denise520

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:32:44 AM

Maybe Litecoin just faces some difficulties now.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:51:15 AM

While in response to OP I think "No", I do have to question what purpose Alt-Coins are going to serve in the future. With Bitcoin really entering a new phase of support by WallStreet, I can't help but wonder if Bitcoin has won the race to mainstream (even if it's not actually already there yet). Litecoin has faster block times, yes, but will that just turn out to be an academic difference in the long run? Any large companies working with Bitcoin are just muddling the message they give if they say Bitcoin AND litecoin AND (any other alt-coin).

So I'm not sure, but I'm tempted to believe this is quickly becoming a one-cryptohorse town. With wall-street money entering, the development of Bitcoin tech and services will accelerate far faster then what the alt-coin community can produce. Perhaps privacy features like Boolberry or Darkcoin might become relevant, but the initial difference between Bitcoin and Lightcoin (coincap, algo, blocktime) seems to get more irrelevant by the day. Both have ASICS now, so it's really just total number of coins and blocktime. Neither of which seems to really make much of a difference.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. But with so much money going into Bitcoin, and so much development, Bitcoin enters a new "initial phase" where so much more wealth can be created from simple good ideas. I think it's going to simply suck up all the smart minds out there leaving alt-coins to limp along.

Anyway, it's not dead. But, the future of alt-coins seems murky at best.

more or less retired.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:56:39 AM

Oh, did I say a blasphemy about the almighty Bitcoin? I am sorry. So if I really think it doesn't have much upside potential, is this considered trolling? Why? Even one of Bitcoin developers sold half of his Bitcoins, because he doesn't feel confident Bitcoin will win the race due to its flaws, what other signs do you need?

Vulnerable? Care to be more specific?

I was talking about how some of the newer more "innovative" coins have not been around enough to be claimed to have stood the test of time. There is always the possibility there is a serious flaw in the implementation.

Hence why I always say that any crypto needs to stand the test of time. Give a coin a year at least before saying the code is sound and secure.

Otherwise you are being naive to think coding is perfect from day 1 and since it has been "running good" for a short period of time that it is better than the older coins.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:58:00 AM

One man selling bitcoins means nothing.

Everyone is given a choice and that is his choice. But you are entitled to your opinion. See you at $3000+ later this year.  Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

devphp

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:02:10 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2014, 09:18:49 AM by devphp

I fully agree with the need to test new code to claim it's secure enough.

Bitcoin proved itself vulnerable to centralization and monopolization, which was against its original principles. Hence it can no longer be said that Bitcoin is 'money by the people', it can be said it's 'money by the corporations'. Just look at the skyrocketing difficulty, 25% each 10 days. Little fish don't have a chance.

Litecoin is going the same route, just lagging behind. But since people start to realize the flaws of the PoW design, they begin mass exodus out of Litecoin, well, not there yet, mass exodus will begin when it dips below 0.01. They still have a hope for Bitcoin, because it's been around longer, but the design is the same, the flaws are the same, it's just delaying the inevitable and wishful thinking.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:13:11 AM

Litecoin is dead.

The big pump of November 2013 will never be repeated - the alt coin landscape has changed beyond recognition since then.

I don't understand how anyone can still be holding Litecoin other than for day trading. LTC is a reasonable day trading market due to liquidity, but it needs a 2x or 3x pump to ever get back to a semblance of its late 2013 highs and that's not going to happen ever again.

Its market cap will continue to decline. Look at the 1-day chart for doge and you'll see what's in store for Litrecoin. People kept buying in thinking "this is the bottom", bit for there to be a bottom there needs to be a future and there is no future for LTC - there's no "silver" BTC anymore, because all the top 10 coins have trickling adoption somewhere and LTC is no longer the 'obvious choice' for payment gateways.

If anyone really needs it spelled out to them, look at the 1-week MACD for LTC / BTC - the longest term chart there is on bcd. It only keeps diverging.  Overcoming that kind of long term momentum would take months of constant buying.

Sure, it might get a pump of 10% or 20% on the way, but traders will just use that as a last gasp opportunity to offload and minimise losses.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:13:56 AM

A coin with a market capitalization of more than 200 million is certainly not dead. If people feel the coin would be dead, the price would be collapse.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:14:16 AM

Litecoin is not dead, it is more alive than most pump and dump alts. Litecoin is still rank 2nd by market capital of $265M. It is falling behind bitcoin by a long shot, but still 6x over darkcoin and 13x over doge.

I know market cap doesn't give much insight to the future and litecoin price is in a downward spiral. Their devs are still active and patching and it's trading volume per day is very strong. I see litecoin is in a bad patch at the moment. Just wait until bitcoin passes $1000 again, we will see more support for litecoin.
devphp

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:16:20 AM

A coin with a market capitalization of more than 200 million is certainly not dead. If people feel the coin would be dead, the price would be collapse.

The price will collapse when it dips below 0.01-0.008 (its last low). Some hope remains with people that it won't, so they keep putting buy orders, but not enough of those obviously as the price chart shows.
_smudger_

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:17:03 AM

As LiteCoin dies we will see some of that capitalization moved into Bitcoin

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

I just have litecoin and i begin to be very afraid... Bitcoin is going up and litecoin doesn't move.

Do you think it is the end of Litecoin, and other altcoins in general  ?

Were they ever alive?
operrajunk74

Activity: 344

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:25:21 AM

Bitcoin proved itself vulnerable to centralization and monopolization, which was against its original principles. Hence it can no longer be said that Bitcoin is 'money by the people', it can be said it's 'money by the corporations'. Just look at the skyrocketing difficulty, 25% each 10 days. Little fish don't have a chance.

Litecoin is going the same route, just lagging behind. But since people start to realize the flaws of the PoW design, they begin mass exodus out of Litecoin, well, not there yet, mass exodus will begin when it dips below 0.01. They still have a hope for Bitcoin, because it's been around longer, but the design is the same, the flaws are the same, it's just delaying the inevitable and wishful thinking.

There is no flaw in PoW, in fact it is the most secure option. The Litecoin fault is it doesnt offer anything interesting over Bitcoin, so why use it.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:25:37 AM

The price will collapse when it dips below 0.01-0.008 (its last low). Some hope remains with people that it won't, so they keep putting buy orders, but not enough of those obviously as the price chart shows.

Care to make an escrowed bet to the bolded statement?

How low do you think it will dip once it goes to 0.008?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

_smudger_

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:27:41 AM

Bitcoin now represents over 94% capitalization of all the top 100 alt coins and this figure is rising all the time.

Think very carefully before you invest in alt coins

devphp

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:28:22 AM

I can make an escrowed bet, but not a timed bet. I don't know when it will happen, but I can bet it will.

Not sure how low it will go when it dips below 0.008, why does it matter?

EDIT: I can make a timed bet that Litecoin will go below 0.008 this year. That is, before January 1, 2015.
1 BTC for a bet. If you accept these terms.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:30:40 AM

Anything is vulnerable to centralization and monopolization. Hardly something to use as a reason it can't survive.

"Little fish don't have a chance". <-- This statement goes back to the example:

If all of the world's money supply was evenly divided amongst each living human being it wouldn't be long before many of those with fair shares of the money supply would lose it due to bad decision making or horrible risk management.

Claiming that as an argument is like saying "boo hoo the world isn't fair so now let me go and cry about it because I was late to the game or fucked up along the way."

The world doesn't work like that. Hardly an argument for why Bitcoin will fail.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 09:34:13 AM

I can make an escrowed bet, but not a timed bet. I don't know when it will happen, but I can bet it will.

Not sure how low it will go when it dips below 0.008, why does it matter?

EDIT: I can make a timed bet that Litecoin will go below 0.008 this year. That is, before January 1, 2015.
1 BTC for a bet. If you accept these terms.

1. The bet would need to have an end date.

2. Why does it matter? Good question. You made the initial price comment about dipping to 0.008 and then continuing down ward after that. I think that it could go below 0.008 but it won't stay there for very long.

3. My terms of the bet were based on your original comment that appeared to assume that Litecoin would continue to go below 0.008 and not just spike down and pop right back up shortly thereafter.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: