Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:27:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Bitcoin's chicken and egg problem  (Read 15247 times)
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 07:38:59 AM

Ogrr has been growing like wild fire.  Ogrr has 1,500 members.  Membership is more than doubling every month.  In the last week it has grown by 500 members.  The previous 500 members took 3 weeks to join.  You can view the membership count at the bottom of the home page.

[...]

BTW, the first 1,000 people to register and reach 10 (legitimate) posts get 1 BTC: All aboard!
Might these two facts be connected?
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:42:55 AM

A total of 1500 people and a whole 23  (!) online at this moment is not so encouraging as yet.
The idea is great and has potenial but to say that chicken/egg problem is solved... well, not quite yet..

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 10:08:15 AM

I have been watching ogrr.com since its creation, and I find it extremely interesting to follow.
There's a real community there, and it is growing fast.

If ogrr.com gets enough momentum, we might witness something unprecedented in the short history of Bitcoin:
The complete disruption of an existing centralized currency system (here d2jsp's Forum Gold) in favor of Bitcoin.

At some point, the users of d2jsp might collectively realize that the value of their Forum Gold assets is threatened by Bitcoin.
This will create a snowball effect, where forum members try to trade FG for game items at any price, and FG loses its value.

These are exciting times...

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 10:24:58 AM

Too many subforums, therefore likely to die a stale death. Whoever is running this needs some forum admin 101 lessons.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1343

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 10:33:52 AM

Too many subforums, therefore likely to die a stale death. Whoever is running this needs some forum admin 101 lessons.

no, the subforums at ogrr reflects those at d2jsp. that's a smart decision, IMO.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Jointops420

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 10:48:54 AM

They are going to automate bitcoin usability soon from an admin message I got. I deposited some in and out with no drama other than going through someone for now.
But heck yea great idea and this is one I really hope takes off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_farming
Figures

While reliable figures for gold farming are hard to come by,[11] there are some estimates of the market for in-game currency.

In 2005 The New York Times stated that there were over 100,000 professional, full-time gold farmers in China alone.[5] And in 2006 sales of such virtual goods were thought to amount to somewhere between 200[12] and 900 million USD.[4]

Another estimate, drawn from 2005/2006 data, valued the market at not less than USD200 million per year[13] and suggested that over 150,000 people were employed as gold farmers with average monthly earnings of USD145.[13] This same report estimated that 80% of all gold farmers were from China[11] a fact which has led to prejudice towards Chinese players.[14] 2008 figures from the Chinese State valued the Chinese trade in virtual currency at over several billion yuan, or nearly USD300 million.[15]
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 11:06:36 AM

no, the subforums at ogrr reflects those at d2jsp. that's a smart decision, IMO.

They probably grew organically in response to demand on that other site.

I'm an old man who's been on the Internet long enough to see many, many communities fail for lots of reasons. The most common is too many subforums. Unless you're a high volume site that isn't just a forum, don't split your user-base until you have more than one page of threads per day.

200 conference rooms isn't a good way to hold a conference if you only have 23 people attending. Seriously.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:07:48 PM

Could somebody feasibly make a living playing online computer games? Slaying dragons and such all day, gaining armor and weapons, selling weapons for Bitcoins, and on and on? That's badass!
Why not?  People make money playing all sorts of games and sports.  And selling the related equipment.  (ogrr.com seems great btw)

I can see how this could bring bitcoin mainstream.

Games are the fastest growing medium of the entertainment sector. Gaming has the 2nd largest market share, after the film industry. There is an article in The Economist about this: http://www.economist.com/node/21541164

The yearly gaming market cap is forecast to reach 82 billion dollars by 2015.

Especially the online games sector is really booming:

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 03:20:08 PM

Could somebody feasibly make a living playing online computer games? Slaying dragons and such all day, gaining armor and weapons, selling weapons for Bitcoins, and on and on? That's badass!

This involved a bit more than just gold farming, but yes, you can make money playing video games:
http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/11/second_lifes_first_millionaire.html
triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:28:46 PM

this link is relevant for you even if is old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRMpg7v6Us

this isn't the one i was looking for, but it does the job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39gP4QnXxE
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:17:54 PM

Geez, I didn't even think about this. It could be very big indeed. I focused on a real world economy for Bitcoin, but the virtual world makes perfect sense. And I expect these kids to take to Bitcoin like fish to water.

Gaming is huge. I used to be a gamer. If game developers incorporated bitcoins the opportunities would be staggering. I once competed in a Mortal Kombat tournament, but in the real world. I would have loved to compete virtually with real money available, and for different game titles; or be able to collect real bitcoins instead of normal game coins. I'd never leave the game.

It'll probably take time before game companies tap into that ginormous gold mine, but this ogrr.com forum is a great fit. There already exists trades of value, so all that's needed is a facilitating currency.

The priority for ogrr.com should be making usability as easy as possible. The currency shouldn't get in the way. It should be super simple to send BTC between other forum members, and deposing/withdrawing from the system should be straightforward and efficient with 24hr turnaround if not automated, and of course much faster if it is. Then growth wouldn't be hindered.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 07:25:57 PM

When Diablo III comes out this year it is going to be HUGE.

I'm buying Diablo III too! ( omg when the F is it coming out, 10 years in the making....)

of course ill be playing hardcore mode and in this mode the in-game auction house for real money will be disabled.... and so ill be selling / buying items with my bitcoins  Cheesy

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:28:12 PM

With bots, yes. You happily set up some accounts with a bot and they farm all the day. Then you sell. Profit. Sure, accounts can get banned, but usually there is still a lot of profit.

In a legit way? Well it depend... maybe yes.

And this oggr seems very interesting, i knew about it since a lot of time but i never played diablo 2 so i'm not really interested. But if it grows and start to cover other games...

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 10:26:25 PM

I can see how this could bring bitcoin mainstream.

Games are the fastest growing medium of the entertainment sector. Gaming has the 2nd largest market share, after the film industry.

+1
Bitcoin will win over other internet payment means by virtue of its open source, interoperability.
Linden dollars , facebook credits and other attempts at yet another central bank will look old when gamers realize that..

kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 10:33:47 PM

Ogrr has been growing like wild fire.  Ogrr has 1,500 members.  Membership is more than doubling every month.  In the last week it has grown by 500 members.  The previous 500 members took 3 weeks to join.  You can view the membership count at the bottom of the home page.

[...]

BTW, the first 1,000 people to register and reach 10 (legitimate) posts get 1 BTC: All aboard!
Might these two facts be connected?

1000 BTC for marketing, interesting. Might work, might not.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 1202

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2012, 10:36:30 PM

Is Ogrr admin registered here?

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

I once competed in a Mortal Kombat tournament, but in the real world. I would have loved to compete virtually with real money available, and for different game titles; or be able to collect real bitcoins instead of normal game coins. I'd never leave the game.

Will some Wonder-Nerd please figure out how to gamble bitcoins in the beginning of each counter strike match!?

Better yet, lets get this goin on TF2!
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 01:21:16 AM

Will some Wonder-Nerd please figure out how to gamble bitcoins in the beginning of each counter strike match!?

Better yet, lets get this goin on TF2!

Good idea!

Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2012, 01:31:56 AM

I don't quite catch it - why does a forum need a currency at all, and how does a forum user with more mBTC become more reliable?

chsados

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 01:45:09 AM

I don't quite catch it - why does a forum need a currency at all, and how does a forum user with more mBTC become more reliable?

its more like a market place. 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: