Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:56:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel tiptopgem has destroyed the auctions board.  (Read 2384 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:33:04 PM

Example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58791.0

He's bumping all of his auctions. Some of them should have ended months ago. His threads now have the majority of the board while most of his product remains unsold with little to no bids.

I feel that his demands would be better met by his own website; so the products of others can get the attention they deserve, while potential buyers can select from a more diverse selection of goods -- not just gems.

I am confident that I am not the only one who has this view: TipTopGems is flooding the auctions board with crap.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 10:59:28 PM

i question the utility and scalability when using a forum / board for auctions.  there is http://bitmit.net and soon hopefully http://www.biddingpond.com will be back.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:02:22 PM

For all your near-delusional spouting off against authority, you sure whine a lot about enforcing your own will on others.
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:02:53 AM

For all your near-delusional spouting off against authority, you sure whine a lot about enforcing your own will on others.
You can have rules with no rulers.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
tiptopgemdotcom
Legendary

Activity: 1736

Truly decentralized stable asset

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 07:13:22 AM

Boss the number of auctions anyone has up is a function of how much work they are willing to put into their business.  Also bear in mind that for some businesses, listing is more involved than others.  I take the train into the stone district here in Bangkok, sort through parcels of stones, take the best ones home, photograph them, crop and resize all the photos, and then write the auction copy and list it.  It is substantially more involved than saying "I have a federal reserve note for sale."  It seems to me that if you want to list a lot more of your auctions your investment in time, money, and effort is very small compared to mine.

If the moderators determine rules are needed then I will do my best to follow them.  But don't fall victim to the crab mentality.  My business helps bitcoin.

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.PLATINUM  STABLECOINS
..USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ...

─────────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
...FACEBOOK... .....TWITTER..... ...TELEGRAM...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 08:02:13 AM

Example: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58791.0

He's bumping all of his auctions. Some of them should have ended months ago. His threads now have the majority of the board while most of his product remains unsold with little to no bids.

I feel that his demands would be better met by his own website; so the products of others can get the attention they deserve, while potential buyers can select from a more diverse selection of goods -- not just gems.

I am confident that I am not the only one who has this view: TipTopGems is flooding the auctions board with crap.

I've ordered a couple stones from him, and they're very nice -- definitely not crap. I don't see what they issue is -- it's not like other threads are being bumped off...the bottom thread on the page is weeks old -- it would be different if he was bumping all the threads off the page every day. This is a free market, and it tends to reward those with large and varied inventories, after all.

Some of the completed ones should be archived though.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 09:14:51 AM

I've ordered a couple stones from him, and they're very nice -- definitely not crap. I don't see what they issue is -- it's not like other threads are being bumped off...the bottom thread on the page is weeks old -- it would be different if he was bumping all the threads off the page every day. This is a free market, and it tends to reward those with large and varied inventories, after all.

Some of the completed ones should be archived though.

+ 1

Boss if there were other stuff on offer a set of bumping "guidelines/rules" might be needed. However as there is more or less nothing else on offer I'm more than happy to spend some of my BTC on nice precious or semi precious stones.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
BinoX

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 10:11:33 AM

I don't really see a problem with it myself.

The gems that get bumped up that have finished are usually bumped with a revised "buy now" price and once they get to what is considered the lowest the bumping doesn't happen until they start to drop off the page where someone might be interested in it.

In that example you posted the gap between bumps is about once a week, it's not like it's a daily process. Some people may say it's "confusing" but in the auction board you can't edit posts, so the initial post can't be modified to say that the auction is over and that there's a new "buy in now" price or a reduction in cost, so there's not really a lot of choice except to bump.

Also, if tiptopgem annoys you on the forum so much, why don't you just use the forum's ignore user function?
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:15:47 PM

You can have rules with no rulers.
... plus you can have centimeter or inches on those! Grin

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:22:26 PM

Boss/Atlas, quit Boss-ing and gtfo. Without tiptopgems in the auctions section, that subforum would be dead. I personally go to the auctions section to see what he has to offer daily and have contemplated to buy some off him.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:24:46 PM

What do you do when your parents won't let you outside because you're a medicated manic depressive aspergers ridden born-terrorist obsessed with married women and drugs?

Post threads about the auction sub-board.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 12:33:20 PM

tiptopgem could contact cryptoxchange and sell gems through the store they have Smiley

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 04, 2012, 12:40:58 PM

I think the large numbers of gem auctions dissuades many other users from using the auctions subforum at all. I believe that a "Gems" sub-section would enable a greater number of users willing to use an auction format, without forcing them to sort through so many other listings for gems. I see people often running auctions in the Goods sections, so that people actually see the items for sale.

Having a sub-section could more easily target those that wish to buy those items, and would benefit everyone in the end. I personally block the entire auctions section currently, and I am sure there are others that do this too. I would certainly unblock it if I could simply block a Gems section instead.

No offense to the gem sellers is intended, at all - I just think the number of folks that buy them is much lower than the number of folks that may otherwise regularly shop in the Auctions section.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 01:54:18 PM

I think the large numbers of gem auctions dissuades many other users from using the auctions subforum at all. I believe that a "Gems" sub-section would enable a greater number of users willing to use an auction format, without forcing them to sort through so many other listings for gems. I see people often running auctions in the Goods sections, so that people actually see the items for sale.

Having a sub-section could more easily target those that wish to buy those items, and would benefit everyone in the end. I personally block the entire auctions section currently, and I am sure there are others that do this too. I would certainly unblock it if I could simply block a Gems section instead.

No offense to the gem sellers is intended, at all - I just think the number of folks that buy them is much lower than the number of folks that may otherwise regularly shop in the Auctions section.

I agree with you. There should be a subforum for Daves stones. Since he pushes his auctions a lot, no one would be mad. He does a good thing with his stones and if you want to have some succes with your business you have to push it. He is a nice guy and his stones are fair. You get what you pay for. He never attacked anybody, just did his thing.

Perhaps you can make a donation to the forum Dave ?!. They give you a gem section and anyone will be happy. In my eyes the right way to go. His sales help bitcoin a lot.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:41:21 AM

This old Meta thread should be of relevance:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60701.0

Our policy hasn't changed since then.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:19:01 AM

I can't find the link to the rules about spamming but I read somewhere that repeatedly bumping your own thread was not allowed. Some of his threads are 15 posts of nothing but him.

I personally do not have a problem of him having many threads for auctions but bumping auctions that ended months ago just seems silly.

He's not just bumping -- he's also adjusting the price, which is more meaningful than the typical "bump reply". So that guideline (no more than once per day and a few times in a row) doesn't apply.

It may be excessive, though. Not really auctioning, either. But it seems like most people here aren't bothered by it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 04:33:15 AM

It may be excessive, though. Not really auctioning, either. But it seems like most people here aren't bothered by it.

I would wager that the people bothered by it actually use the marketplace and that's why it's an annoyance. The rest don't, and that's why it's not. It seems excessive to me too, but when I used eBay I didn't blame the idiots listing 1000 of the same item, I blamed myself for not using better search terms.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 04:20:26 AM

I would wager that the people bothered by it actually use the marketplace and that's why it's an annoyance. The rest don't, and that's why it's not. It seems excessive to me too, but when I used eBay I didn't blame the idiots listing 1000 of the same item, I blamed myself for not using better search terms.

ALWAYS narrow down the search terms!

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: