Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:27:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please stop with mBTC, microBTC, ...!  (Read 15169 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:15:49 AM

Just use BTC or satoshi (0.00000001) like in:

I just bought a car for 10 BTC!
The new Final Fantasy game will cost only 15000 satoshi!

Using mBTC, uBTC, μBTC is just unnecessary, sounds like a different coin and it will confuse a lot of people.

Coinedup and a few other sites are guilty of using mBTC.

1 satoshi is the smallest unit of BTC that's all people should have to learn. If you want massive user adoption you have to simplify things.

how is that simpler than 1 bitcoin is 1 million BITS?

Actually you mean 100 million BITS?  

Actually no. 0.01 BITS = 1 satoshi

Argh! I stand corrected and BITS is the same a uBTC ... I much prefer uBTC as that is something I can EASILY understand.  u = micro = 10-6.  

Yeah, BIT is just another name for uBTC. Initially I was opposed to "bits", because, well, we had the much more cleanly derived uBTC (and also mBTC). Then it dawned on me that "micro-bee-tee-cee" just had too many syllables and not everyone would value a clean derivation using metric prefixing. So I fell in love with "bits". 1 syllable, easy to pronounce, connotations with the digital world and money, future-proof, simple enough to handle / understand.

I acknowledge there can be confusion (you are a good example), but it can be overcome. I'll continue supporting the "bits" proposal.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tmobileguy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:41:52 AM

"bits" is just the proposed short name for 10-6 BTC in exactly the same way that "satoshi" was at one time the proposed short name, and is now generally accepted as the short name, for 10-8 BTC.

10-8 doesn't have a well known name in the metric system. That combined with the fact it's the smallest unit in the original system I understand the need for a different name (plus Satoshi deserves to be honored).

Bits, however, is just retarded. 10-6 is micro, something which everyone who completed high school should know.

That this is even being discussed makes me sad  Sad

I think 'bit's is catchy and easy to use...
And how is retarded when we are talking about 'bit' coin....

I think running around calling them micro's would be uhhumm.....'not fun'....

mark my words, and we'll pull up this time stamped post as proof down the road....if .000001BTC (not sure if I used the correct amount of zero's) becomes the general unit of use similar to the dollar...we will be calling them 'bits'....
NSStranger

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:50:40 PM

Please share with the community

1 Naka = 0.0001 BTC

10 Naka = 0.001 BTC

100 Naka = 0.01 BTC

1,000 Naka = 0.1 BTC

1 BTC = 10,000 Naka

1 Naka = 10,000 Satoshi

10 Naka = 100,000 Satoshi

100 Naka = 1,000,000 Satoshi

1,000 Naka = 10,000,000 Satoshi

10,000 Naka = 100,000,000 Satoshi
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:29:19 PM

Using mBTC, uBTC, μBTC is just unnecessary, sounds like a different coin and it will confuse a lot of people.

1 satoshi is the smallest unit of BTC that's all people should have to learn. If you want massive user adoption you have to simplify things.

how is that simpler than 1 bitcoin is 1 million BITS?

Actually you mean 100 million BITS?  

Actually no. 0.01 BITS = 1 satoshi

Argh! I stand corrected and BITS is the same a uBTC ... I much prefer uBTC as that is something I can EASILY understand.  u = micro = 10-6.  

Yeah, BIT is just another name for uBTC. Initially I was opposed to "bits", because, well, we had the much more cleanly derived uBTC (and also mBTC). Then it dawned on me that "micro-bee-tee-cee" just had too many syllables and not everyone would value a clean derivation using metric prefixing. So I fell in love with "bits". 1 syllable, easy to pronounce, connotations with the digital world and money, future-proof, simple enough to handle / understand.

I acknowledge there can be confusion (you are a good example), but it can be overcome. I'll continue supporting the "bits" proposal.

The problem that I have with the term "bit" is that it is part of the word "bitcoin" and I would think that people could get confused as to the difference between a "bitcoin" and a "bit" as they could think that something is either massively over or under priced.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 04:52:37 PM

The problem that I have with the term "bit" is that it is part of the word "bitcoin" and I would think that people could get confused as to the difference between a "bitcoin" and a "bit" as they could think that something is either massively over or under priced.
On the other hand it makes sense that bitcoins are made up of bits.

In other words a small bit of a bitcoin is called a bit.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

In third world countries, bitcoin has fresh field, but you have to introduce it to them like mBTCs, seeing that every unit is less than a dollar, it will get sold like hot bread.
People cant afford the idea of buying some currency thats more expensive that his weekly income.

Indeed, and look at the current prices, now imagine if the Winklevoss prediction of 70,000 each by 2017 comes to reality  Roll Eyes those mBTCs

will be uBTCs... personally i don't like that, the Satoshi measurement seems easier to me.
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:20:14 PM

In third world countries, bitcoin has fresh field, but you have to introduce it to them like mBTCs, seeing that every unit is less than a dollar, it will get sold like hot bread.
People cant afford the idea of buying some currency thats more expensive that his weekly income.

Indeed, and look at the current prices, now imagine if the Winklevoss prediction of 70,000 each by 2017 comes to reality  Roll Eyes those mBTCs

will be uBTCs... personally i don't like that, the Satoshi measurement seems easier to me.

One consistent denomination seems ideal. No confusion, uniformity, simplicity. Question is, what denomination? The "dollar" works for USD.

I see this as an issue for metric applications to bitcoin.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:56:44 PM

It was unfortunate that the currency code for bitcoin became btc. It should have been bic. Can be pronounced.

Then we have bics mills mikes and satoshis. The market will eventually decide.
dyask

Activity: 854
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:55:44 AM

I guess BITS isn't so bad as it just maps to micro-BTC.
GonnaGrinditout

Activity: 94
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:25:24 PM

Social wallet quickcoin.co use BITS already
 Smiley

≛≛≛BTC  HUGE 7 BTC WELCOME BONUS  BTC≛≛≛
☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked☜☆☞☜☆☞☜☆☞
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 03:19:17 PM

One consistent denomination seems ideal. No confusion, uniformity, simplicity. Question is, what denomination? The "dollar" works for USD.

I see this as an issue for metric applications to bitcoin.
I guess this kind of issues will be solved with time and use of people, my advice would be use a denomination which is more easier and convenient for yourself...
s1ng
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 06:17:00 AM

absolutely agree with OP !
As we know, Satoshi is a smallest unit conversion of BTCitcoin. It's easier to remember it rather than using mBTC, uBTC, μBTC.
Mostly people doesn't know what is "m, u, μ" thing except they usually work with (ex:physicists) or learn about conversion
dyask

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 07:45:34 AM

absolutely agree with OP !
Mostly people doesn't know what is "m, u, μ" thing except they usually work with (ex:physicists) or learn about conversion

Most people in the world do know milli (10-3) and micro (10-6).  These are standard in SI units.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI  Now if you talking about USA, maybe you have a point, but the USA is has less than 4% of the world's population.     

kutaka

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:20:26 AM

Most people in the world do know milli (10-3) and micro (10-6).  These are standard in SI units.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI  Now if you talking about USA, maybe you have a point, but the USA is has less than 4% of the world's population.     

4% of population? Indeed. But in this industry two things count: money and innovations. In both of them USA are among the world leaders.

My two cents: are "bits" a good name? Nope.

Are SI prefixes a better way? Not at all. Bear in mind, that most of the world currencies use two syllables at most.  mBTC is already 4 syllables. Way too many to be used outside of the internet.

I am also not a fan of satoshis - this is also too long. And too unfamiliar for western speakers. Already mentioned "nakas" would be better, or something similliar.
dyask

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:42:17 AM

Most people in the world do know milli (10-3) and micro (10-6).  These are standard in SI units.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI  Now if you talking about USA, maybe you have a point, but the USA is has less than 4% of the world's population.      

4% of population? Indeed. But in this industry two things count: money and innovations. In both of them USA are among the world leaders.

My two cents: are "bits" a good name? Nope.

Are SI prefixes a better way? Not at all. Bear in mind, that most of the world currencies use two syllables at most.  mBTC is already 4 syllables. Way too many to be used outside of the internet.

I am also not a fan of satoshis - this is also too long. And too unfamiliar for western speakers. Already mentioned "nakas" would be better, or something similliar.

Well the US Dollar is 4 syllables and even the brief form USD is three.   So much for that theory.   In Japan the "yen" is pretty unique and only one syllable.   I asked my 10 year old and she knew what milli and micro meant.   Japanese education includes that at least.  

For trading you can just use Bitcoin.   The other forms are for shopping.   

Oh and Japan is amongst the world leaders in money and innovations.   In fact Europe is too.   Although the US might be the undisputed king of McJobs that don't pay enough to live on.    Maybe "Mc" should be a unit?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 11:46:54 AM

It annoys me too OP, I won't ever use this system until I absolutely have to, I also think there are a determined group of spammers out there who don't really provide any arguments for it but want to make sure other people are using it instead, I've noticed it tends to be these faucets and PPC system operators that use it the most to mislead people.

There is nothing difficult about writing 0.0005BTC for example, granted, it's difficult to say it but that's really the only time when I'd say it's a good idea to do use those units.
dyask

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:57:13 AM

There is nothing difficult about writing 0.0005BTC for example, granted, it's difficult to say it but that's really the only time when I'd say it's a good idea to do use those units.

Easy to make mistakes with lots of zeros too.    Grin
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 12:09:22 PM

Easy to make mistakes with lots of zeros too.    Grin

Learn fucking mathematics like I am and stop being lazy lol :p that's basically all this is, it pisses me off that I'm re-learning everything so I understand it correctly and then these fuckers just come along and make shit up.
kutaka

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 12:11:46 PM

Well the US Dollar is 4 syllables and even the brief form USD is three.   So much for that theory.   In Japan the "yen" is pretty unique and only one syllable.   I asked my 10 year old and she knew what milli and micro meant.   Japanese education includes that at least.  

Oh and Japan is amongst the world leaders in money and innovations.   In fact Europe is too.   Although the US might be the undisputed king of McJobs that don't pay enough to live on.    Maybe "Mc" should be a unit?
Wow butthurt much? Silicon valley is the world center of IT innovations, whether you agree with that or not.

Also, Dollar is 2 syllables. I've never been to USA, but I do not think that in shop you can often hear: "This will be 2 US Dollars" unless you live at the Canada border.
dyask

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:57:27 PM

Wow butthurt much? Silicon valley is the world center of IT innovations, whether you agree with that or not.

Also, Dollar is 2 syllables. I've never been to USA, but I do not think that in shop you can often hear: "This will be 2 US Dollars" unless you live at the Canada border.

No butthurt (whatever that means.)   But there is a vast amount of innovation outside of Silicon valley.   I never said US innovation isn't important, it is just by far from the whole story.   For the record the Silicon valley accounts only for a small part of US innovation.   It is far from being the center of innovation in the US. 

As for "Dollar", that by itself doesn't mean USD, or US Dollar unless you happen to be in the US, then the term dollars is used by itself.   Dollar is used for many world currencies.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar  The confusion isn't just for those living at the Canadian border.   I have traveled a lot, and term dollar is ambiguous.    Bitcoin is clear though, unless you are taking about both the network and BTC.

For the record I actually happen to be a US citizen and I work in the high tech world.   I currently live in Japan.   In many ways the US is very backwards and even primitive.   For example broadband in the states is overpriced, slow and often hard to get.     
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: