Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 10:51:24 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BDK] - Liquidating, Permanent Closure -  (Read 15255 times)
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

You should also set up 2-factor auth for your gmail account.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 22, 2012, 10:48:37 PM

Not so much a relief fund, but it helps.  It's pretty sucky to see a heap of hard work plundered.

And yes it is a re-used address, but tagged specifically for Kluge (Ben) - current balance 90 coins: 1J4qAYqQsNJbTDhwyf7A9eCPykNLVysnp2

Edit: 120 coins - thanks to Ineedausername
Edit: Thanks also to Brendio and BurtW  (current total 180)
Edit: DollarTrader and BrightAnarchist have provided donations.  (current total 216)
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Michael, send me some coins before I hitman you

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 03:28:08 AM

I requested AWS provide me with any details on their investigation and offered to open a police report if it'd be beneficial in my receiving information they have recorded on the user. That's really my only potential lifeline here, I believe. He was sloppy enough to use a blocked IP address the first time he tried logging into Gmail, maybe sloppy enough to have used useful info on AWS registration/use. Probably not, but this probably won't hurt anything, yeah?

Don't mix your coins someone said isn't legal
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:37:51 AM

I am still surprised that GLBSE does not have a session expiration.  That nap the scum had would have been prevented if the sessions expired after a period of inactivity.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 06:10:46 AM

"Hello Ben,

We have received your report of unwanted access to your Gmail account from an Amazon IP address.

We have completed an initial investigation of the issue and learned that the IP address you reported did indeed belong to an Amazon EC2 instance. Amazon’s EC2 service allows EC2 customers to run their applications using Amazon’s infrastructure, including IP addresses. The accesses that you reported may have come from an Amazon EC2 customer’s application. You may learn more about EC2 at http://aws.amazon.com/ec2 .

The customer we have identified runs a Social Media/Networking Site or mobile device push service. You may have signed up for this service and granted permission and provided username/password to their application to access your Gmail account. We have passed this message on to the customer that uses the IP address mentioned in your abuse report. However, we have no reason to believe that this is an actual intrusion attempt. This issue was also addressed in our security bulletins: http://aws.amazon.com/security/security-bulletins/ (see July 13th 2010 bulletin).

If you continue to see unwanted activity, please contact Google and ask that they initiate an investigation with Amazon.

Regards,

Amazon EC2 Abuse Team"

Considering police report, police I don't think would bother doing anything, vs. attempting to contact Google, a company I doubt would want to get involved without a police filing, at least. ETA: Made an indirect request to Gmail. They don't allow direct contact by default, so hopefully someone will see what I've written and contact me directly. ETA2: Made a direct request. ETA3: Also made another request of AWS.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 07:02:39 AM

I've been advised the only way to get Google to release the IP activity AWS wants is by going to the police, filing a report, and hoping for a court filing leading to a demand from Google/Gmail to release information. At that time, that info can be sent to AWS, who would then hopefully release the information I'm seeking without requiring a separate demand -- or the demand could be sent directly to AWS. Then, further action can be taken.

Sounding like a strenuous, time-consuming task, but it would be nice to catch at least one of these fellows, and set a precedent that it's possible.

Nefario

Activity: 602

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 07:32:15 AM

After speaking with Kluge(verified it was him) we've done a few things.

His account has been frozen, as have both BDK and BDK.BND assets meaning they can't be traded, they will remain frozen until everything has been cleared up(likely a couple of days).

We will be reversing those transactions for these two assets from the break in, those who bought will have their BTC returned.

Dividend payments due soon (within the next 24 hours I think) for these assets will be delayed, possibly by a couple of days.

The alternativ to this would be to close down the assets.

Kluge is going this route at great personal expense.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 08:19:55 AM

I've contacted the police and will head over in the afternoon. I have no expectations.

Fwiw, current damages in the form of funds withdrawn are 344.117BTC. Current damages in the form of funds needing to be sent for the reversal of transactions related to this are 204.85BTC. The grand total, then, is 548.967BTC in damages, or a bit over $4.8k at current rates. However, the various lenders and related contacts, have, in a show of extreme generosity, provided 180BTC worth of relief, significantly offsetting losses.

I was a shack, I am now a barricade, and within a week, I will be a fortress. Shocked

Cheers,
Ben

(and thanks, Nef)

Nefario

Activity: 602

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 03:51:11 PM

Hmmm, formatting of my post is all messed up, sorry about that.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 04:31:58 PM

I've contacted the police and will head over in the afternoon. I have no expectations.

Fwiw, current damages in the form of funds withdrawn are 344.117BTC. Current damages in the form of funds needing to be sent for the reversal of transactions related to this are 204.85BTC. The grand total, then, is 548.967BTC in damages, or a bit over $4.8k at current rates. However, the various lenders and related contacts, have, in a show of extreme generosity, provided 180BTC worth of relief, significantly offsetting losses.

I was a shack, I am now a barricade, and within a week, I will be a fortress. Shocked

Cheers,
Ben

(and thanks, Nef)
Chief's said he's working on a response and I probably would not be going through the local station for investigation. Going to put off the report until tomorrow. Bid on house was accepted, so have some paperwork on that to do today, then need to buy a cell phone.

Will update with updates as I'm updated. Cheers,
Ben

ETA: AWS hasn't responded to me since last afternoon/night, fwiw. Asked for website name.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 05:54:31 PM

For future reference, our very own Mike works in Google's abuse department.

Agorista

Activity: 65

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 10:52:12 PM

I was a shack, I am now a barricade, and within a week, I will be a fortress.
That's what I like to hear. I was thinking of buying in, then this happened =( I will reconsider after you get your fortress up and running and you publicize the types of measures you have in place to prevent future theft. Best of luck! Can't wait to jump in once the moat has been dug.

Mike
Member since June 2011 - watching BTC since $0.25
on9isrock

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 07:32:09 PM

i want to apply loan
22BTC

my address :18TTx6qBr2LTiyRu6SuLDX1SFwDCQyeJRC
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 05:42:45 AM

Lastpass, GLBSE, and Gmail accounts are currently locked down with Google Authenticator, on top of the GLBSE account being more-or-less temporarily deactivated. I've thought about dumping LastPass for KeePass, and maybe it would be workable since syncing for networked computers is relatively simple, but haven't decided for sure. Credit Unions have notice to watch my accounts and confirm >$x transactions/day with me (none reported login attempts outside the IP address I provided). I can't talk about the police report, except to say AWS has stopped communicating with me directly and they will not be asking me to provide hard drives. Non-Gox Yubikeys are on their way to provide "3FA" where available, and 2FA where GoogleAuth/QR-auth isn't an option. SMS auth is also being utilized where available, but that's a pain in the ass to use with shoddy reception. I also intend to mix up 2FA, so not all permissions will be on one device, utilizing JAuth for an old offline laptop. A master backup of auth codes (the codes to produce codes) will be kept under lock and key in case one (or both) auth-code-producing device were to fail. The OS I was using has not been wiped, yet, but that will come soon -- fwiw, I only use it as necessary, a few minutes per day, usually with LAN disconnected. I moved all funds out of my previous wallet, and currently (temporarily), all funds are being held by two extremely-trusted individuals. I have not investigated to see if there were any network intrusions, but I'll look through logs at some point. I do not currently have evidence of any type of local intrusion, and doubt there was, but I am operating on the assumption that there was - just in case. Government documents/numbers will eventually be revoked for new ones to be assigned -- I again have no evidence that any of that was compromised, but there's nearly a decade of emails in my account, so I'm not sure what all I saved, and for a while, I had some ID saved on my PC as there were so many corporations and individuals demanding it to proceed with transactions. I also had tax filings saved unencrypted, so if there were local intrusion, it should be assumed the attacker could provide my ID, a utility bill, and my SSN if claiming to be me.

All "sensitive" site passwords are now unique, not a variation (and certainly not a shared variation) on a few sets of "brain keys." If anyone has any additional tips, the security is starting to feel over-burdening, but I'm keeping an open mind...

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 12:31:23 AM

[Current BDK/IOU Depositor Services]
*Access to "Ghetto P&P Exchange" services. Ability to immediately (if you choose an instant method) exchange BTC for USD, and USD for BTC, at rates lower than BitInstant.

[Proposed New BDK/IOU Depositor Services]
*Cashback when you use BitMit. Use a referral ID I provide, and have all transaction fees you pay to BitMit fully refunded in the form of a credit to your IOUcoin account. I don't much care to bother Tosaki about this, so instead, I think we'll try out scraping the site, matching User IDs on my referral and commission page to BDK usernames.
*x% MemoryDealers discount. This needs to be negotiated directly. Idunno the exact e-commerce platform they use (whether or not this'd be feasible), but perhaps it would be preferable to ask for a code to apply to accounts, which provides a lifetime discount. It may be more worth talking to Netveano folks about this, as they handle quite a few other merchant-type sites.
*Discounted stays at 20Mission. This should be fun and easy to negotiate.
*Free gifts sent when lifetime amount of BTC deposited surpasses certain thresholds. For example, perhaps when you deposit 150BTC, you're given the option to be sent a free page of IBB BTC checks. 500BTC, free one-year BTC Magazine subscription. 1500BTC, free lower-value casascius coin. 3000BTC, free higher-value casascius coin. 10k+, you get.... Idunno, a free greenhouse kit with exotic seeds from "Galt's Lab" and a $50 giftcard for Menards.
*Monthly drawings for active depositors to receive a collection of interesting stuff in the style of IBB's treasure chests.

If anyone has other ideas, lay 'em on me.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 06:03:47 AM

Still have a boatload of coins looking for a good home. Hit me up. Cheers,
Ben

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:19:12 AM

Returning phone tomorrow for a different make. Reception is simply terrible. Someone using a phone of a generation ago gets far superior reception (that is to say she gets a usable signal) on the same network and same connection settings -- 3G connection's useless for data, and frequently for phone conversations. I called someone yesterday, had my head pressed against a window, and it was still cutting out too much to have a comfortable conversation. Reversed roles with grandparents today when I called... I had to ask them to repeat everything they just said back to me.  Lips sealed

Aside that, tomorrow I need to hit up the nearby PNC bank to open an account, buy some groceries, grab a ladder and go tape up an air exhaust "chimney" in a property we bought so birds will stop dying in the garage before we move in, and some other small errands/chores. Will be mostly away tomorrow, and unresponsive to phone calls as well as email until I grab a different phone. Should be responsive to all contacts by the end of tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ben

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:51:17 AM

A few months ago, I had thousands of coins in Pirate, the vast majority of that insured. I eventually got out completely because I did not know what Pirate did, and have been fairly critical (though quietly) of him. Without understanding an investment, I had no interest in going forward with it once my insurer dropped out. This has very recently changed. I now believe, with a high level of confidence, that Pirate is legitimate, and his business model (certainly not the interest rates, however), are sustainable and sound. In fact, it is one of the most believable, surprisingly simple, and clever (across the board - including his clients and his own model) schemes I have yet come across in the Bitcoiniverse. I additionally believe, with a high level of confidence, that Pirate does exactly what he's said he does multiple times, and in our cynical imaginations, we have created unpleasant, convoluted explanations for what Pirate "really" does.

I will not disclose, for anyone, what he does unless something goes terribly wrong, at which point I will corroborate with the others who know what he's doing and probably posted well before I will. I intend to put roughly 15% to 25% of total BDK/IOU assets in an uninsured Pirate account until further notice.

With that said, I recognize the hypocrisy in what I've just written with regards to why I disliked how Pirate handled his affairs, and you'll have to trust I intend the best for my investors and have been truthful in my statements. To 1kBTC+ depositors, I can provide a notarized promissory note upon request, with full current USD value of BTC for collateral.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:32:09 AM

OP updated. CDs are being offered again. This is likely the last time I will reduce deposit rates until Pirate either significantly reduces rates, refunds depositors, or defaults, at which point I assume interest rates will drop dramatically across the board for everyone. I currently have moderate interest in obtaining 500BTC worth of new deposits, and low interest in obtaining 2500BTC worth of deposits.

Current BDK Pirate exposure is 1kBTC. I intend to deposit ~430BTC more, and then that will be the cap. Interest is to be fully returned each week. The remaining 2kBTC I'm seeking is to help consolidate imsaguy's loans at a reduced rate over what he currently pays his lenders/depositors.

IOUCoin is expected to launch in roughly one month. I may need additional funds at that time and may place an open order to sell BDK.BND at face value again. I'm currently willing to sell BDK.BND units at face value for large (100BTC+) investors.

ETA: Lending rates have also been reduced.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:34:55 AM

For a limited time, I'm re-opening the offer to accept USD CDs. 4%/63D, 6.3%/94D. GoxUSD, ACH, bank/CU instant transfer (PNC or a CU which utilizes Shared Branching), accepted. If ACH, deposit starts when it clears in my account. Minimum: $500 -- Max: $5,000.

Cheers,
Ben

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.