Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:34:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock]  (Read 300465 times)
theterabyte

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:35:38 PM

Raise COG.F3 if we need more funds for hardware purchase later

I seriously doubt that, in it's current state, Cognitive could raise any funding whatsoever. Quite a lot of people got burned on COG.F and COG.F2. They were sold at 5 BTC each for 20 ordinary shares. That's 0.25 BTC per share. Cognitive is currently circling the drain at 0.0251 BTC. Nobody in their right mind would touch this clusterfuck until it starts performing. I'm talking about actual performance not promises, not "next week", not "in the future" but actual mining income from all the hardware we supposedly bought distributed as dividends with 50% held back for reinvestment as per the contract.

That's fair =|

My Bitcoin Tip Jar: 11Ws5nzwy44cMcymu6ddRxdp9uvDonNqB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
robitnik

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:03:58 PM

If this operation can't mine it is as good as dead.

Agreed.

All we need are two things.
  • Cabinets in a data center
  • Our hardware
Then we hook up power, network and configure. Then we've got clean power, adequate cooling and a reliable connection to a pool.

I'm assuming that most of the problems with our current hardware (apart from a couple of bad boards) are related to either
insufficient cooling or unreliable power supply.

Of course, we have two questions.
We need to know what the hold up is with the data center and why Cointerra haven't delivered the rest of our hardware yet.

Guybrush01 says his data center can provision 5 cabinets in 3 days for $5,000. If we had all 10 current TerraMiners running, that's just 5 days income and we have 16 BTC in the reserve fund to cover it in the mean time.

Datacenter delays are causing these problems. Typically, real estate of this large-scale nature is prepared months if not a year in advance and we are doing this in weeks. Everything will be operational within the coming week, but until then we have to do our best with our current resources. I will post the miners on ebay for 10 days and cancel if the 7 day motion does not pass.

If the motion to sell the units does not pass, we will be in a top-class tier-3 datacenter piggybacking on a larger operation, getting the cheapest power in the nation.

Best,
Garrett

Honestly, as a shareholder who was hacked, and then re-acquired almost all of his original position, I wish you the best.  But I have to ask, what data center are you working with?  Are they new?

I talked to our data center and they could provision 2 - 5 cabinets, each with 4 30A 208v circuits, in 3 days if I paid about $1k per cab expedite fee.

And no, this isn't Bob's house of chicken waffles & data centers.  It's kind of the 3rd largest data center in the United States.
Lloydimiller4

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

Monero

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:18:04 PM

I personally doubt Cointerra is going to give us much bonus equipment after the point of Garret obtaining a single rig from them. They can say that at that point they are no longer late, and only owe us hash-rate until that point in time. The contract does not specify that the hardware needs to be shipped in full. I believe they will give us some hardware in compensation, but not anything close to 2x or whatever, we might get maybe 3-4 more rigs than were purchased. They know that we aren't going to spend a fortune fighting their agreement too.

XMR: 43uAvbYL7z9NrKQig2DswM69XaeDug1Rf8v4Un1ndssb2To51Vojz2uZ21jFumWsCcgvqZ9hPuE3fEr xKoGCkHU8CzqHFiS
robitnik

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:41:05 PM

I personally doubt Cointerra is going to give us much bonus equipment after the point of Garret obtaining a single rig from them. They can say that at that point they are no longer late, and only owe us hash-rate until that point in time. The contract does not specify that the hardware needs to be shipped in full. I believe they will give us some hardware in compensation, but not anything close to 2x or whatever, we might get maybe 3-4 more rigs than were purchased. They know that we aren't going to spend a fortune fighting their agreement too.

That really depends on what their jurisdiction considers "delivery". I'd imagine that "delivery" is probably read as "delivery in full" but I could be wrong. In the worst case scenario, the first units arrived on the 18th of February so CoinTerra would owe us 33 TH/s. If Texas says that "delivery" on a purchase agreement means "delivery in full", then they'd owe us 41 TH/s and counting.

Also, we seem to be up to 9 TH/s on Eligius.
HashFast_CL

Activity: 168

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 11:31:02 PM

I think ditching the Clownterra trash and selling 700+ GH/s HashFast boards is a good, perhaps even great, alternative.

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:23:02 AM

I think ditching the Clownterra trash and selling 700+ GH/s HashFast boards is a good, perhaps even great, alternative.

I can't think of a better way to run a company in to the ground than to partner with the asic manufacturer with the worst reputation in bitcoin.

Seems like a great idea to sell all your hardware mining at 1w/gh for hashlast next generation 1w/gh miners which will be released about the same time everyone else switches to less than 0.5w/gh miners.
HashFast_CL

Activity: 168

HashFast Community Liaison

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 12:53:29 AM

I will never buy CT stuff again (cuz Ravi wont let me) but I would never buy your crap ever. I would buy BFL and send Pirate BTC before sending you BTC.

You are a new low in this world full of scammers.

Fine, next time order from Black Arrow, AMT, or Bitmine.ch.  I heard they will ship to customers SoonTM (perhaps even In Two Weeks).   Cheesy

"Bitcoin enables ordinary people to fight back, to avoid and evade snooping governments, which enact, use and abuse laws that allow them, without due process, to investigate, tax, control and seize privately owned assets."  -   Leon Louw

“We can say without equivocation that firms like MasterCard, Visa and the TBTF banks like JPMorgan and Goldman hate the idea of ever having to compete for business again. They have grown comfortable in their corrupt world of writing laws for themselves without any regulatory oversight. They enjoy the exorbitant privilege of bilking the American economy with extortionary transaction rates. They are scared of Bitcoin. And they should be. It offers transparency, cost efficiency and anonymity.” - Max Kaiser
Cognitive-PR

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 04:29:15 AM

Seems like a motion is appropriate, but I can see this working a few different ways:

1. Sell hardware, use proceeds to pay 100% div.  Raise COG.F3 if we need more funds for hardware purchase later
2. Sell hardware, use 50% of proceeds to pay div, keep 50% for reinvestment fund
3. Sell hardware, put it all in reinvestment fund

I think 3 is only reasonable if we have some other hardware to buy that we can have in-hand very soon (like, < 1 month).  Otherwise, I'd prefer 1 or 2.  Would 1 mean "the end of cog", or would there still be plenty of money left over for reinvestment in the next big thing?  Maybe to answer these questions, we need to see just how many CT machines we sell, and how much profit we can make from them.  Also, if some of the CT machines do work, or if we are able to run a smaller number of them reliably, maybe we don't sell them all - just a few.

Also, maybe before we are able to sell them, the data center comes through and magically fixes everything.  Who knows.  I'm still in favor of keeping our options open, so long as movement happens to keep as many options open as possible in the meantime.

Garrett has decided that all of the hardware that is sold (old hardware and CT hardware) will go to the reinvestment fund. Of course, we will start by seeing how many of the CT units we can sell. The plan right now is to start by selling the first 8 CT units, one at a time, on eBay. We will place the starting bid at $8,000 and see how much people are willing to pay. If the new facility in WA is ready when the remainder of the CT units arrive, it may be most profitable to keep them. In a facility with cheap/reliable power, adequate cooling, and 24/7 supervision they should be far less problematic. If all goes as planned, this facility should be housing new hardware by the first week in April.

Our priorities are as follows:
1.) Sell the first few CoinTerra units
2.) Secure the new space
3.) Purchase new hardware
4.) Documentation and transparency: Financial reports, irc interview, google hangout… anything people want to increase transparency. Of course, we will be working on these things whenever there is time to do so in-between the tasks listed above, and transparency is something we will be continuously working on.

Meanwhile, Garrett plans to set up a better way of paying dividends: The plan is to place a 4 BTC buffer in the Cognitive account on Havelock, so that within about 5 hours, funds from the cog mining address can transfer to Havelcok, Havelock can pay dividends, and the balance should always go back to 4 BTC. This way Garrett doesn't have to continue paying dividends from his own Havelock account.

Maybe Asicminer will have gen3 units in-hand and ready to sell in the next couple of months?  Has anyone been following them?  Their hardware has always been expensive, but they (AFAIK) have always only sold units in hand, shipped quickly, and delivered exactly as promised meaning the ROI calculation is straightforward, reliable, and low-risk.  Of course, on the other hand, (at least based upon their share price), gen3 might be vaporware itself and not something to rely upon...

Agreed, but Asicminer's hardware is overpriced.

FWIW, with the slowdown in network size increases, I have been running my 65nm BFL hardware longer than I anticipated and I think COG's BFL hardware will be economical to run for a while longer (the returns are small, but they more than offset cost to run still I believe).

Garrett believes that selling them now will be more profitable in the long run. They have been up for sale on the forum but haven't sold so the plan is to put them on eBay either tonight or tomorrow.

We will keep you updated, and give you links to the eBay auctions.

- Samuel
jimmothy

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:39:39 AM

Serious question:

Is this operation run by a bunch of 16 year olds?
jimmothy

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:44:39 AM

How so? AM Gen3 at the chip level is supposed to be $0.5-$1/gh at 0.2w/gh

Compare that to hashlast evo boards which are about $3/gh at 1w/gh.

Anyways good luck selling hardware that is 3 times more expensive and 5 times less efficient than the competition.
Cognitive-PR

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 05:09:05 AM

How so? AM Gen3 at the chip level is supposed to be $0.5-$1/gh at 0.2w/gh

Compare that to hashlast evo boards which are about $3/gh at 1w/gh.

Anyways good luck selling hardware that is 3 times more expensive and 5 times less efficient than the competition.

Compared to the price we can get from HashFast, BitMain (makers of AntMiner), and CoinTerra, yes - it's overpriced.

Also, we will not purchase any hardware from HashFast unless it is either in stock or delivered first. No more pre-ordering.

The first CT unit is now on eBay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131145403391

- Samuel
MilkyLep

Activity: 583
Merit: 500

Bitcoin for all & all for Bitcoin

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:24:57 AM

Since there are no motions and no dividends this has pretty much turned into a scam...

I havent posted in this thread for awhile, so I just wanted to go ahead and quote this for posterity and humor.

It was too good to pass up. I would love to add to the chaos, but watching this mayhem unfold has been entertaining enough.

Do the staunch believers realize yet why myself and others kept pushing for answers and accountability? I mean seriously...there isnt even a proper mining center for hardware that was/is 3 months late.

I take it kako's seizures from fervent laughter prevents him from boasting currently. Cmon I know you can't help yourself.

Either you own the bitcoins(private keys) or you don't. However with moneroj, nobody knows what you own.
Secure. Private. Untraceable.
zero3112

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:46:45 AM

Since when did HashFast come into the picture. We are not seriously going to buy from them are we? Why has their been no motions for shareholders to vote on what we should do?

elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:55:39 AM

Since when did HashFast come into the picture. We are not seriously going to buy from them are we? Why has their been no motions for shareholders to vote on what we should do?

Scamlast are not worth considering, ignore their trolling. Garr, don't you dare buy any of thier crap.

I don't think we are going to have much luck selling none functional miners........ i know what i would be doing if i bought a miner from you via ebay and it did not work well.......

My advice would b e do not deal with ebay or paypal
robitnik

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:57:27 AM

They didn't. Hashfast_CL just showed up to start stirring up shit and to try to sell their crap. No one is buying it. Goat just immediately freaked out at the mere presence of hashfast.

I'm with you on the motions. The problem is we'd need to weight the votes by shareholding. It's really something that should be integrated into Havelock.

I think selling this hardware is a mistake. If, by some miracle, we sell our current CoinTerra gear, what guarantees do we have that we'll have the rest of our CT hardware within three weeks? Will we have our new data center space with no hardware to put in it? For that matter, I'd also like to know the name of the data center we're moving to. I'd like to ask them why it took so long to get it sorted.

I would also like an answer to the 1% per day question. Are we looking at 33 TH/s or 40+?
elasticband
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:01:01 AM

I think selling this hardware is a mistake. If, by some miracle, we sell our current CoinTerra gear, what guarantees do we have that we'll have the rest of out CT hardware within three weeks. Will we have our new data center space with no hardware to put in it? For that matter, I'd also like to know the name of the data center we're moving to. I'd like to ask them why it took so long to get it sorted.

I happen to agree with this.

sadly we are not running the miners during their most profitable weeks though.

the future will not be based on the past though, difficulty changes are already dropping, adding 20% to 33,720,959 GH/s every 14 days is becoming harder and harder.
robitnik

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:12:59 AM

... difficulty changes are already dropping, adding 20% to 33,720,959 GH/s every 14 days is becoming harder and harder.

This is true, but ASICMiner's gen3 worries me. They may give us a large difficulty spike in the very near future. I'm not too worried about the other manufacturers but Friedcat could be a problem. He's very good at what he does. The only mistake he made was underestimating how quickly the competition would catch up to him. That will likely be the last of the large difficulty increases though. I'm fairly certain that growth rates will drop off and become linear by mid-summer.
elasticband
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:17:32 AM

... difficulty changes are already dropping, adding 20% to 33,720,959 GH/s every 14 days is becoming harder and harder.

This is true, but ASICMiner's gen3 worries me. They may give us a large difficulty spike in the very near future. I'm not too worried about the other manufacturers but Friedcat could be a problem. He's very good at what he does. The only mistake he made was underestimating how quickly the competition would catch up to him. That will likely be the last of the large difficulty increases though. I'm fairly certain that growth rates will drop off and become linear by mid-summer.

Again i would have to agree with you, FC does not do things by halfs or on the small scale, gen3 deployment is going to be big.
Their objective has always been to protect the network while turning a profit, after having several dealings with FC regarding distribution of hardware, i have to say i respect him a lot.

CMMPro

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 11:23:51 AM

So, to recap....a pair of 18 year old students ran a scam where they convinced us they could run 30TH of mining equipment out of their house...the equipment was late delivered and when it came they couldn't keep the breakers on for more than 10% of the equipment 10% of the time ensuring a huge loss in expected mining revenue....a friend from electrical shop class finally told them that the house didn't have enough power supply to run that many units as well as cool them.  

They ran around in circles trying to arrange a data center colo that by anyone with even meager planning skills would know should have been arranged months in advance...then decided it was all too much effort and unilaterally decide to sell all the equipment killing not only all chance of profit but guarantying the investors a loss. Add to that a unilateral decision now to add the money to the "reinvestment fund" regardless that many people just want it issued as a dividend now to recoup the massive losses they were hit with.

All along they were mining to undisclosed addresses, bouncing coins through several personal addresses, had almost zero transparency to the shareholders, and couldn't even seem to be able to put a simple spreadsheet together and ignoring the motions brought forth by it's shareholders. Yeah I'd say a scam intermingled with total incompetence that cost everyone who invested a lot of money.

Oh and I forgot to add they did this all on US soil and allowed/marketed the investment to US citizens...cue the SEC complaints in 5,4,3,2,1.

trek27

Activity: 172

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 11:41:14 AM

So, to recap....a pair of 18 year old students ran a scam where they convinced us they could run 30TH of mining equipment out of their house...the equipment was late delivered and when it came they couldn't keep the breakers on for more than 10% of the equipment 10% of the time ensuring a huge loss in expected mining revenue....a friend from electrical shop class finally told them that the house didn't have enough power supply to run that many units as well as cool them. 

They ran around in circles trying to arrange a data center colo that by anyone with even meager planning skills would know should have been arranged months in advance...then decided it was all too much effort and unilaterally decide to sell all the equipment killing not only all chance of profit but guarantying the investors a loss. Add to that a unilateral decision now to add the money to the "reinvestment fund" regardless that many people just want it issued as a dividend now to recoup the massive losses they were hit with.

All along they were mining to undisclosed addresses, bouncing coins through several personal addresses, had almost zero transparency to the shareholders, and couldn't even seem to be able to put a simple spreadsheet together and ignoring the motions brought forth by it's shareholders. Yeah I'd say a scam intermingled with total incompetence that cost everyone who invested a lot of money.

Oh and I forgot to add they did this all on US soil and allowed/marketed the investment to US citizens...cue the SEC complaints in 5,4,3,2,1.

Overall a sad story so far ...
Pages: « 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 [123] 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 »
  Print  

Jump to: