Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:06:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: difficulty futures contracts for miners to hedge  (Read 1281 times)
supert (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:19:04 PM

A futures contract is an agreement to execute a trade at a future date at a previously agreed price.

For example, say Alice agreed with Bob to pay 1 bitcoin for 6 barrels of oil in September. Sometimes, these can be cash-settled instead of actually delivering the oil. This is useful in hedging exposure to the oil price. In this case, Alice and Bob need to agree an impartial, external source for the price of oil in bitcoin on that date.
Thus, most discussion of decentralised future or forward contracts in bitcoin land centres around the use of an external 'oracle' to provide such a source. This introduces a third party and goes against the trustless spirit of bitcoin.

The future difficulty is of great importance in the calculation of mining profitability, but it is difficult to predict. So, miners badly need the ability to hedge or accurately price difficulty.

My idea is that, in the special case of difficulty, the blockchain is the authoritative oracle, and an external oracle is not needed. Thus, trustless decentralised difficulty futures contracts are possible.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be implemented?

(x-posted reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2a5jrr/idea_mining_difficulty_futures_contracts/ )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hodap

Activity: 306
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 07:13:19 PM

If there is an exchange out there that let people bet on difficulty, then miners can short the coin and long the difficulty contract to hedge the capital cost.

brian_23452

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:12:44 PM

A futures contract is an agreement to execute a trade at a future date at a previously agreed price.

For example, say Alice agreed with Bob to pay 1 bitcoin for 6 barrels of oil in September. Sometimes, these can be cash-settled instead of actually delivering the oil. This is useful in hedging exposure to the oil price. In this case, Alice and Bob need to agree an impartial, external source for the price of oil in bitcoin on that date.
Thus, most discussion of decentralised future or forward contracts in bitcoin land centres around the use of an external 'oracle' to provide such a source. This introduces a third party and goes against the trustless spirit of bitcoin.

The future difficulty is of great importance in the calculation of mining profitability, but it is difficult to predict. So, miners badly need the ability to hedge or accurately price difficulty.

My idea is that, in the special case of difficulty, the blockchain is the authoritative oracle, and an external oracle is not needed. Thus, trustless decentralised difficulty futures contracts are possible.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be implemented?

(x-posted reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2a5jrr/idea_mining_difficulty_futures_contracts/ )

What you are describing isn't a futures contract, but rather a form of gambling.  The first example you gave, where I agree to trade you 6 barrels of oil on September first for 1 bitcoin, is a futures contract.  Assuming we don't choose to exchange cash instead, you will get your 6 barrels of oil  and I will get my one bitcoin. 
The second example, what difficulty will be on September first, isn't a contract at all, nothing is being exchanged.  It is simply a bet on a future  life event.  Any gambling house would be well equipped to lay odds and accept wagers on the event. 
supert (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:03:16 PM

What you are describing isn't a futures contract, but rather a form of gambling.  The first example you gave, where I agree to trade you 6 barrels of oil on September first for 1 bitcoin, is a futures contract.  Assuming we don't choose to exchange cash instead, you will get your 6 barrels of oil  and I will get my one bitcoin. 
The second example, what difficulty will be on September first, isn't a contract at all, nothing is being exchanged.  It is simply a bet on a future  life event.  Any gambling house would be well equipped to lay odds and accept wagers on the event. 

A cash-settled future is a bet, but the idea is here to avoid the use of an intermediary and counterparty risk.
A bet such as this can be used to hedge exposure, so isn't necessarily gambling.
brian_23452

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:34:59 PM

A cash-settled future is a bet, but the idea is here to avoid the use of an intermediary and counterparty risk.
A bet such as this can be used to hedge exposure, so isn't necessarily gambling.

How do you foresee being able to hedge your mining position with these instruments, whatever we call them?
supert (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:04:50 PM

Mining investments are based on calculations of future difficulty. In a sense the miner is short difficulty. The miner would be able to hedge that exposure away by buying such a contract, locking in his profit.
brian_23452

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 11:53:06 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2014, 08:44:58 PM by brian_23452

Mining investments are based on calculations of future difficulty. In a sense the miner is short difficulty. The miner would be able to hedge that exposure away by buying such a contract, locking in his profit.

Well, understand those are just calculations, in the same sense that a gold prospector would estimate the amount of gold he could extract from a mine before he started mining.  You can't hedge that risk away because it is inherent to the mining process.  You can remove all sorts of risks to your profits that aren't actually related to mining (such as the price of gold, exchange rates, labor and material costs, etc.) with various forms of futures contracts.  You can even hedge away the risk of various unforeseeable things like an earthquake messing up your mine, with insurance.  What you can't do is hedge away the risk that you simply miscalculated the amount of gold you would mine and thus end up with less than expected.  Bitcoin is pretty much the same in this regard.  

Incidentally, most miners do not have any profit to lock in (and if they do have an expected profit, it is rare for an unusually high difficulty increase to wipe that out).  Using those same calculations that you mentioned, we can see that most mining products on the market today mine at a loss.  The uncertainly, and hence possibility of profit, is what drives people to buy in the first place.  To see this, imagine a hypothetical scenario.  Imagine I have setup a mining pool\cloud mining site.  I will sell you 1Th/s on my site for 3 months, "lock" the difficulty at it's current rate, and implement a PPS model.  So you know, with absolute certainty, that it will generate 2.691BTC for you (assume for the sake of argument that you know it isn't a scam and I won't just run off with the money).  You can easily see that there is no way I would sell this contract to you for LESS than 2.691BTC, and there is no reason for you to purchase it for MORE than 2.691BTC, and hence this product will never exist.  

The interesting thing is that this is precisely what ASIC manufacturers do when they sell ASICS (though I do not believe that is the primary reason WHY they sell ASICS).  If you make or buy say, 1000 ASICS you are "betting" the difficulty rate will go up lower than expected, or at least not higher than expected.  Selling some of those miners for a fixed rate of BTC now, today, partially offsets that risk.  Leasing the equipment for a fixed rate of return also has this effect. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: