Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 07:29:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Refurbished laptop for cold storage?  (Read 1592 times)
Chicowash

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:06:42 AM

What if the hdd of that laptop fails ?
I would recomend to keep your cold storage in several places.
Salmon1989

Activity: 603
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 04:15:40 AM

What if the hdd of that laptop fails ?
I would recomend to keep your cold storage in several places.

Indeed IMO backups are essentials, no matter you are using paper wallets, cold wallets, or hot wallets. Smiley

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 05:23:22 AM

Is it okay to use a refurbished laptop to make a cold wallet as long as I remove the wireless card? Can an encrypted wallet with over 30 characters(random, numbers, LC letters, Capital letters, and special characters) still easily be hacked without using a keylogger to obtain the password?

You're safe with that setup, since it will stay offline, you don't have to worry about getting hacked but do remember to make several backups at various offline usbs, coz refurbished laptops hdds are pretty used and they usually die very fast.

ALToids

Activity: 519

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:23:10 AM

Is it okay to use a refurbished laptop to make a cold wallet as long as I remove the wireless card? Can an encrypted wallet with over 30 characters(random, numbers, LC letters, Capital letters, and special characters) still easily be hacked without using a keylogger to obtain the password?

That's a decent high entropy password. The problem is will you remember the password in 10 years?  If you get injured could somebody who you want to give the wallet to be able to open it.

Using 8 random words that you memorize and alternating use of spacebar would be easier.

Of course having a paper wallet is a safety workaround.
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:14:26 AM

I'll tell you what's a decent high entropy password: running the serial number of your refrigerator through SHA256SUM.

ALToids

Activity: 519

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 11:56:20 AM

I'll tell you what's a decent high entropy password: running the serial number of your refrigerator through SHA256SUM.

That would work if you use your wallet somewhat regularly.  If you truly keep your cold wallet cold and only touch it once every 2 years or something then when your fridge dies you'll recycle it and 2 months later be like "oh crap".

Making it 6-8 words like the names of all your schools or your kids' names backwards with random spaces avoids dictionary attacks and is easy to remember.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: