Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:43:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SPLIT: Splitting topics  (Read 1102 times)
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 09:43:01 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2012, 07:51:25 PM by tysat

Mod note: split again.

They are distracting and ridiculous., but telling people what to do is annoying as well.

I agree with you on that.
Contrary to what it looks like, I did not start this thread.
I was answering in this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67601.0
Someone deleted my post and created a new thread with it.

I find it abusive. Putting my words out of context is unfair.
It wrongfully suggests that I started the thread.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:45:59 AM

They are distracting and ridiculous., but telling people what to do is annoying as well.

I was answering in this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67601.0

I didn't write this post. Each word was edited from other posts into order to form these sentences.

RAGE!!!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:47:54 AM

I was answering in this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67601.0

You did start the thread when you posted an off-topic reply and 2 more people decided to reply to your off-topic comment. You are lucky a new thread was started, you could've just been banned like I was some time ago Cheesy
It was moved by Tysat choice. It could've gone straight to the garbage bin as far as I'm concerned.

@Matthew, he was originally talking about my avatar, not about yours Wink
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 09:50:49 AM

You did start the thread when you posted an off-topic reply.
Your post wasn't deleted, it was moved by Tysat choice. It could've gone straight to the garbage bin.

oh and who decided that my reply was off-topic? did you report it as such?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 09:54:14 AM

You did start the thread when you posted an off-topic reply.
Your post wasn't deleted, it was moved by Tysat choice. It could've gone straight to the garbage bin.

oh and who decided that my reply was off-topic? did you report it as such?

I did report it, yes. Your reply and the other 2 that followed. And it seems someone agreed.

Also, you can put me on ignore if my avatar disturbs you so much. I don't usually say important stuff anyway, so you won't lose much if you do it.

hmmm... This thread is going off-topic. We'll all be banned soon lol
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 10:07:02 AM

I did report it, yes. Your reply and the other 2 that followed. And it seems someone agreed.

I can undersand that a user reports my post as offtopic, in an attempt to censor it.
I can accept that an admin fails to see the connection between my post and the OP, and agrees to view it as offtopic.

However, I do not accept the fact that said admin creates a new thread from scratch with me as OP, without telling me or asking my permission, because this was never my intent.
That is not correct.
The admin should be de-oped for that.

@psy: if you could use a different avatar, lots of people, including me, would feel an immense relief. you might have caused several epilepsy strokes...

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 10:14:05 AM

I can undersand that a user reports my post as offtopic, in an attempt to censor it.
I can accept that an admin fails to see the connection between my post and the OP, and agrees to view it as offtopic.

However, I do not accept the fact that said admin creates a new thread from scratch with me as OP, without telling me or asking my permission, because this was never my intent.
That is not correct.
The admin should be de-oped for that.

@psy: if you could use a different avatar, lots of people, including me, would feel an immense relief. you might have caused several epilepsy strokes...

Well, let me put it this way: If you posted an off-topic reply to some other reply I would've let it go. But you didn't. If you really thought that there was a need for a "No animated GIF Policy" then you should've just started another thread in the Meta section because that's what it is for.
Your reply and the other 2 that followed we're just diverting the thread from it's purpose without adding absolutely nothing to the matter in question.

Hey, I goof around a lot, and like I said I was banned for it already. Don't take it the wrong way, it wasn't to attack you personally or anything like that. I even thought it was funny Wink
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 10:19:19 AM

Hey, I goof around a lot, and like I said I was banned for it already. Don't take it the wrong way, it wasn't to attack you personally or anything like that. I even thought it was funny Wink

I know. like I said, I consider what you did to be part of the game.
What I do not accept is that an admin uses his admin permissions to start a thread with me as the OP, because I would never have started such a pointless thread.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 02:46:03 PM

What I do not accept is that an admin uses his admin permissions to start a thread with me as the OP, because I would never have started such a pointless thread.

It isn't a "game". Psy, as the OP of that thread, has every right to expect the replies to be relevant to the topic.   

And if you really think it's so pointless, then why post it in the first place?

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 03:53:43 PM

Well your reply had nothing to do with the current thread

oh, and we also need a no animated gifs policy.

Here's the OP of the thread your reply was in

Like the title says, we need a no begging policy around here.

Or are we the kind of suckers that will give the fish instead of teaching them how to handle a fishing pole?

Beg 1 time, get a warning.
Insist on begging, BAN the fucker.

If people are banned for off-topic posts, they should be banned for begging.
Also, if you notice carefully, 99% of the beggars will turn out to be scammers. <--- Reason enough for this policy

Your thoughts about this?

I'm not sure about anyone else, but sure as shit looks off topic to me.  Psy reported the post so I took a look and saw 2 more replies to your response.  I could have deleted it, but I figured I might as well split it because it looked like there was already some discussion on the topic.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 05:38:09 PM

My general rule-of-thumb is that if an off-topic reply receives 2 or more thoughtful responses, it warrants its own thread. If just one person replies, I generally will just leave the posts if they make a point of some kind, even if off-topic. If the replies don't spark a useful discussion (or I believe that they won't), I delete them all.

It's your own fault if you ended up sparking a good off-topic discussion that could sustain itself in its own thread. If you don't want to risk having your posts split off, stay on topic.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:48:05 PM

I don't agree at all with OP's issue and absolutely agree with splitting topics.

However, I think you guys would find that splitting threads would be slightly less out of context and possibly misleading if you put a keyword in the subject, something like "RE: " or "SPLIT: ".

At least then everyone on the forum would know it was a mod doing it. Just a thought.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 07, 2012, 07:51:12 PM

However, I think you guys would find that splitting threads would be slightly less out of context and possibly misleading if you put a keyword in the subject, something like "RE: " or "SPLIT: ".

I think that's a good idea, I'm going to try and remember to do that from here on out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: