Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:53:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [IDEA] Cryptographic Image Format  (Read 1706 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 09:59:26 PM

So if I buy a digital print and get the corresponding color coin, why can't I make 10 copies of the digital print and give away 10 copies of the corresponding colored coin private key? As long as all holders of the private key don't remove the funds, all 10 people can use the digital print. Right?
You could make copies, but only one would have the colored coin to verify it. The person you sold it to would not be happy that multiple copies were released.

An infinite # of users could have the same color coin...only one could spend it Smiley

You can say the same thing about Bitcoin.
Yes. Exactly.

The colored coin protection of access to a digital object discourages (but does not preclude) sharing as anyone sharing the object could transfer ownership exclusively to themselves or just take the corresponding funds.

The software allowing access to the digital object needs to be trusted to only allow access when the user has the colored coin private key _and_ the colored coin is funded with the desired amount (do I have that detail right?)...I'm uncertain how that trust model would work.
The software is to protect the buyer, not to secure the artwork. You can use any encryption. The cc is not a key to the artwork, it only verifies that you have a legitimate copy. The hash of your digital master is historically verifiable on the blockchain. If you give away digital copies of your numbered digital master, then you deserve to lose the value you paid for it.

Horrible idea, I hope it never see the light of day. This could prove to be...a serious anti-piracy tool and it can cause the destruction of...quite a lot of things.
This is no different than the digital assets being addressed by Open Assets, Ethereum, et al. It would just be simpler with Colored Coin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:09:21 PM

I'm probably overthinking this. When I was working on the idea a few years ago, colored coin didn't yet exist. I was planning to use Casacius style security stickers on paintings. Colored coins should be easily attached to digital prints. It's probably just a matter of developing an easy to use colored coin client that hashes a limited set of digital copies for Deviant Art users.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:04:55 PM

while reading all comments and usefulness.. im also trying to find solutions to the ability to make duplicates.

so lets say that there was a new version of zip encryption that could lock data inside. the main password was the privkey, and the zip program generated a thumbnail if someone entered the publickey.

so now the privkey is obviously of the address that contains the coloured coin. and anyone in the world can have a copy of the zipped up file and know the coloured coin public address. to verify it as being real and valid, by seeing a thumbnail using the public address of the coloured coin

the owner can write a signed message (as he is the only one with the privkey) to show he is the owner of the privkey and ultimately the only one with access to the true high quality 'print'.

ok i think im on the same page as cbeast...

so the owner using the privkey can sign messages announcing the sell of the art and include an auction site or email to contact him for the sell)

in a ethical world that cbeast wants the art world to be. once the buyer hands him the bitcoin. the owner gives the buyer the privkey. now the new owner, can make a new privkey, move the coloured coin from old address to the new address and rezip the image under his new privkey, announcing that all he now has control of the coloured coin.

even if millions of copies of the zip file spread the planet. all people would have access to is the thumbnail

now then....
whats stopping the old owner from then giving away the original privkey to 1000 people so they can open version one zipfile (old password) that have thousands of version1 copies around the internet, thus giving everyone access to the high quality image.

whats stopping the owner from not selling the privkey to just one person but to 20 people simultaneously, knowing it will take 10 minutes for the coloured coin to move. giving him a nice 10 mile head start with 20 peoples money. simply because he didnt want to sell it to just one. i know in the end only 1 person will have the privkey for the coloured coin.

but in both scenario's unlike canvass painting. if 20, 1000 or millions people have a high quality image.. they dont care about the coin.. thus making the coin useless..

i think cbeast is trying to make it that the coin is the true value of the digital art.. but once people have the image in a quality resolution they want, the coin is useless and valueless to everyone. and yes a few people may b butt hurt that the first owner scammed them..

but how would you stop it!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 11:13:26 PM

I'm probably overthinking this. When I was working on the idea a few years ago, colored coin didn't yet exist. I was planning to use Casacius style security stickers on paintings. Colored coins should be easily attached to digital prints. It's probably just a matter of developing an easy to use colored coin client that hashes a limited set of digital copies for Deviant Art users.

I think there's a solid and useful idea here...I'm uncertain on the details, but some way of making a ledger of "authentic" copies of digital objects that can be transferred.

Right now, Bitcoin does exactly this for a specific fungible divisible digital object (basically an integer, # of Satoshi's). Your idea generalizes the concept to non-fungible or non-divisible (or both) digital objects that can be more than just integers.

My gut tells me there is something brilliant in your idea...I just don't see it all clearly.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 01:44:58 AM

while reading all comments and usefulness.. im also trying to find solutions to the ability to make duplicates.

so lets say that there was a new version of zip encryption that could lock data inside. the main password was the privkey, and the zip program generated a thumbnail if someone entered the publickey.

so now the privkey is obviously of the address that contains the coloured coin. and anyone in the world can have a copy of the zipped up file and know the coloured coin public address. to verify it as being real and valid, by seeing a thumbnail using the public address of the coloured coin

the owner can write a signed message (as he is the only one with the privkey) to show he is the owner of the privkey and ultimately the only one with access to the true high quality 'print'.

ok i think im on the same page as cbeast...

so the owner using the privkey can sign messages announcing the sell of the art and include an auction site or email to contact him for the sell)

in a ethical world that cbeast wants the art world to be. once the buyer hands him the bitcoin. the owner gives the buyer the privkey. now the new owner, can make a new privkey, move the coloured coin from old address to the new address and rezip the image under his new privkey, announcing that all he now has control of the coloured coin.

even if millions of copies of the zip file spread the planet. all people would have access to is the thumbnail

now then....
whats stopping the old owner from then giving away the original privkey to 1000 people so they can open version one zipfile (old password) that have thousands of version1 copies around the internet, thus giving everyone access to the high quality image.

I'm not talking about that at all, but I'm glad you are brainstorming. I'm not against the idea, but I'm not a security expert.

whats stopping the owner from not selling the privkey to just one person but to 20 people simultaneously, knowing it will take 10 minutes for the coloured coin to move. giving him a nice 10 mile head start with 20 peoples money. simply because he didnt want to sell it to just one. i know in the end only 1 person will have the privkey for the coloured coin.
Use escrow.

but in both scenario's unlike canvass painting. if 20, 1000 or millions people have a high quality image.. they dont care about the coin.. thus making the coin useless..

This is a moral question. Do you donate to shareware? Again for the third time, I'm not trying to defend copyright. The coin gives you bragging rights. It is a collectible. If an art piece ever becomes legendary, people might value the coins.

i think cbeast is trying to make it that the coin is the true value of the digital art.. but once people have the image in a quality resolution they want, the coin is useless and valueless to everyone. and yes a few people may b butt hurt that the first owner scammed them..

but how would you stop it!
It's art speculation in the digital age.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: