Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:40:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seattle Based Business that Accept Bitcoins [List and Strategy]  (Read 1348 times)
googlemaster1 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:58:02 PM

See the post below for a list of businesses in the Seattle area that already accept Bitcoin.

Hey all,

So I have a goal in mind.  I frequent a large number of small businesses.  These include anything from Mom And Pop restaurants, bars, theaters, art galleries, among others.  People have been said that brick and mortar businesses will be the last to adopt bitcoins, but I'm not so sure that is the case.  In the case of bars, many nerds will come in, buy one beer or two, and then the merchant pays .35 and 3.5% on their transactions of perhaps $3-4.  Micropayments are a reality in Brick and Mortar shops, and it may be a while before you see the Best Buy guy scanning your transaction QR while he marks off your receipt as you exit, but small businesses have *[nothing to lose] and everything to gain from adoption, ESEPCIALLY in my neighborhood.

Below I will outline the options and pros and cons with each of my selections.

Adoption Options:  Reality vs. Choices

1) Square and Bitcoin: Here are a few things I have thought about in the ways of Merchant adoption.  Many merchants are switching to Square, and for good reason, but the biggest reason other than being hip and cool is it adds to their bottom line.  So we need to show these businesses how bitcoin can do just that, and even more so. I see many businesses being convinced that bitcoin could be even more beneficial to them as a medium where as even if they convert immediately to fiat, their merchant transaction fees will be even less than Square.  And then perhaps eventually, they might just hold a few themselves.

Pros:
For merchants who already accept Square, we can get these businesses to use coinbase web app with little training and no additional overhead costs.
Cons:
Web App [ew] - no natiave app in apple products, and most square merchants have ipads  (If someone can please clarify if the merchant services are fleshed out on the web UI, please post below, thanks!)

2)  Nexus 7 or android tablet & Bitpay/Coinbase

Pros:  
-Fully supported
-Easy to use
-No need to replace current POS system

Cons:
-Some overhead startup costs (Nexus 7 is about ~$200)

3)  Revel and POS replacement systems that accept Bitcoin

Pros:
-Fully supported by Revel/Coinbase.
-Full integration with other payment methods (CC, Cash, etc.)

Cons:
-Revel charges $1500 to train resellers (ouch)
-Apple could ban Revel at any time and shut their asses down unles they remove bitcoin support (This is scary).
-Huge startup and overhead costs.

These options are what I was able to come up with, and what I think I've decided on is to stick with mostly option (1) and (2) if possible.  If anyone has any advice, or suggestions please let me know.  I'd love to hear strategies other people have used to get other merchants on board with this.  My first couple places I am going to purchase a few Nexus' 7's and outfit them out of my own pocket, and see if I can work with some others with square to take that jump and get them signed up with a merchant services.  I then want to get the folks in the area on board here to support these businesses for making that leap of faith, but also perhaps I'll post their social media handles, and the rest of you can thank them for being pioneers!

The below post will be a list of businesses in the Seattle area that accept Bitcoin, seperated by Goods/Services Type, Thanks!  If you have any to add, please post them here, or if you have a list, post it here and I'll add it, thanks!!!!

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
googlemaster1 (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 10:06:06 PM

Reserved

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 01:03:09 AM

Whatever happened here.  I'm kinda disappointed in Seattle that there's no bar where I can buy a beer with BTC yet.  Seattle bars, please make my dream come true soon!
googlemaster1 (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:45:08 AM

Whatever happened here.  I'm kinda disappointed in Seattle that there's no bar where I can buy a beer with BTC yet.  Seattle bars, please make my dream come true soon!

Hey, thanks for responding.  I all but forgot about this thread.  A few places did manage to get on board, including Fuel Sports Bar and Ada Technical Books (both serve alcohol).  I am friends with Andrew from Liberty and we had  plans to get them setup with it, as well as two bars owned by the same gal.  She was on board until she read about all the goxing in the news.  I brought this idea to the Seattle bitcoin meetup to get a street team going and trying to put together some places where this would make sense in, but I had a hard time.

I haven't given up completely.  I was talking with coinbase and wanted to hook up with their biz dev team, but to my knowledge, they don't have a Seattle rep yet.

Tried a few other places and had some dialogue (Sun Liquor, Bottle Neck Lounge, etc.) but ultimately failed.  I wanted to give some time for the price and public perception to recover before being 'that guy' trying to spread the bitcoin gospel.  Hopefully coinbase and bitpay can bring on enough people in the mainstream that talking about it within the next 3-6 months with more bars wouldn't be an issue.  We'll see.

If you are in the Seattle area reading this, PM me, maybe we can use the SeattleBitcoin subreddit as a planning ground as well...

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 12:59:40 AM

I was just seeing if Coinbase needed any sales reps in my area. Looks like the closest is Chicago -- maybe I could point out to them that there are businesses in my area that are in bad need of a rethink of how they accept payments.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:33:22 PM

Hey, thanks for responding.  I all but forgot about this thread.  A few places did manage to get on board, including Fuel Sports Bar and Ada Technical Books (both serve alcohol).  I am friends with Andrew from Liberty and we had  plans to get them setup with it, as well as two bars owned by the same gal.  She was on board until she read about all the goxing in the news.  I brought this idea to the Seattle bitcoin meetup to get a street team going and trying to put together some places where this would make sense in, but I had a hard time.

I haven't given up completely.  I was talking with coinbase and wanted to hook up with their biz dev team, but to my knowledge, they don't have a Seattle rep yet.

Tried a few other places and had some dialogue (Sun Liquor, Bottle Neck Lounge, etc.) but ultimately failed.  I wanted to give some time for the price and public perception to recover before being 'that guy' trying to spread the bitcoin gospel.  Hopefully coinbase and bitpay can bring on enough people in the mainstream that talking about it within the next 3-6 months with more bars wouldn't be an issue.  We'll see.

If you are in the Seattle area reading this, PM me, maybe we can use the SeattleBitcoin subreddit as a planning ground as well...

Cool!  Nice job on fuel and Ada's.  I know both those spots pretty well.  Definitely gonna make my dream come true at fuel then next time I'm down in pioneer square!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: