Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:12:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your cooling setup? (small/medium/large miners)  (Read 1300 times)
promojo (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 03:22:33 PM

Hello;  I am interested in finding out how you have been dealing with HVAC/cooling for your mining setups?   If you are mining Bitcoins you will find that the Bitmain S9 likes to be around the 20-25 degrees range.   If you have a couple hundred of them that means it is pumping out 1.1M of BTU/hr.    What are you doing to eliminate the heat and keep everything running nice and cool?   

Most of the large mining outfits seem to use a forced intake/exhaust system to eliminate on A/C overhead costs and to run a leaner mine.  Which may be good for the pocket but not necessarily for the gear itself. 

- Recirculated air from A/C unit?
- Forced intake with filters/exhaust?
- Evaporation condensed coolers? 
- Geothermal?
- Other?

Please share.  This is an important topic as it relates to performance and setups.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fusion0389

Activity: 324

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 04:19:28 PM

Hello;  I am interested in finding out how you have been dealing with HVAC/cooling for your mining setups?   If you are mining Bitcoins you will find that the Bitmain S9 likes to be around the 20-25 degrees range.   If you have a couple hundred of them that means it is pumping out 1.1M of BTU/hr.    What are you doing to eliminate the heat and keep everything running nice and cool?   

Most of the large mining outfits seem to use a forced intake/exhaust system to eliminate on A/C overhead costs and to run a leaner mine.  Which may be good for the pocket but not necessarily for the gear itself. 

- Geothermal?
- Other?

Please share.  This is an important topic as it relates to performance and setups.

I think its a common misconception that these miners need to be kept "cool." With S9's if you can keep chip temps in the high 70's low 80's you should be good to go. I have been able to achieve this for over a year including the summer months by using industrial barrel fans as intake and exhaust air movers to help get the hot air out and ambient temp air in. Gigawatt up in Washinton State does something similar with their POD design. No air conditioning, just moving massive amounts of air.

Plus, most mining equipment isn't made to last 4 years reliably, even if it does, it most likely wont be profitable to run 4 years. There are also no hard drives which is one of the reasons traditional data centers focus on cooling so much.
promojo (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 06:10:37 PM

I think its a common misconception that these miners need to be kept "cool." With S9's if you can keep chip temps in the high 70's low 80's you should be good to go. I have been able to achieve this for over a year including the summer months by using industrial barrel fans as intake and exhaust air movers to help get the hot air out and ambient temp air in. Gigawatt up in Washinton State does something similar with their POD design. No air conditioning, just moving massive amounts of air.

Plus, most mining equipment isn't made to last 4 years reliably, even if it does, it most likely wont be profitable to run 4 years. There are also no hard drives which is one of the reasons traditional data centers focus on cooling so much.

Do you know if they have posted pictures anywhere of their setup?

promojo (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 06:16:45 PM

How are you also getting those cool temps in there when the temperature outside would be say 90degrees?  Do you have this in a warehouse/garage door setup?
kinzey

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

Blockchain with solar energy

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:01:33 PM

are fans and AC enough for 3 sets of miners? TIA!

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [     CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH      ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper     ||   BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD   ||     One Pager 
Telegram      Facebook      Twitter      [[     TOKEN SALE is LIVE     ]]      Medium      Youtube      Reddit
promojo (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:47:06 PM

are fans and AC enough for 3 sets of miners? TIA!

Absolutely.  You could have A/C blowing down on the front and fans on the back dissipating the heat and moving it away/out. 
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 02:16:06 PM

If you have a large enough capital then A / C is the best choice. A / C has a very good cooling system. All areas can be covered because A / C has a very good circulation system. The problem now is the cost of building an A / C system in the room. We have to buy and spend money to pay a fairly high operational costs. The A / C has enough electricity to operate.
Kikin

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 02:59:33 PM

Its possible to use radiator in mining rig?
promojo (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 06:34:29 PM

If you have a large enough capital then A / C is the best choice. A / C has a very good cooling system. All areas can be covered because A / C has a very good circulation system. The problem now is the cost of building an A / C system in the room. We have to buy and spend money to pay a fairly high operational costs. The A / C has enough electricity to operate.

Correct... Adding a proper A/C setup will consume + add 10-30% of your electricity and electrical bill.   The problem there is you may not be able to run longer than the chinese ones that don't use A/C due to overhead costs.
promojo (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 06:34:56 PM

Its possible to use radiator in mining rig?

Like a water/evap cooling system?   Or immersion fed?
fusion0389

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:45:09 PM

Do you know if they have posted pictures anywhere of their setup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfrjhflKGzQ
fusion0389

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:49:11 PM

How are you also getting those cool temps in there when the temperature outside would be say 90degrees?  Do you have this in a warehouse/garage door setup?

My particular setup is unique due to the design of my basement. In short, i'm able to have a somewhat natural hot aisle cold aisle containment system where half of my basement pulls ambient temp air from one side while the other side exhausts hot air out. i have three 5000+ cfm fans that help keep the air moving.
fusion0389

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 01:51:59 PM

Correct... Adding a proper A/C setup will consume + add 10-30% of your electricity and electrical bill.   The problem there is you may not be able to run longer than the chinese ones that don't use A/C due to overhead costs.

I would not use A/C. As i mentioned earlier, these miners dont need to be "cold" they need the bare minimum to keep them within normal operating temperatures. A/C significantly increases electricity costs which increases time to ROI and reduces profitability. If you cannot operate your miners within normal thresholds without A/C you need to find a different location or send them off to be hosted. In my opinion A/C is not an option.
Streamlink

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 11:30:47 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2017, 05:02:04 AM by Streamlink

Hello;  I am interested in finding out how you have been dealing with HVAC/cooling for your mining setups?   If you are mining Bitcoins you will find that the Bitmain S9 likes to be around the 20-25 degrees range.   If you have a couple hundred of them that means it is pumping out 1.1M of BTU/hr.    What are you doing to eliminate the heat and keep everything running nice and cool?  

Most of the large mining outfits seem to use a forced intake/exhaust system to eliminate on A/C overhead costs and to run a leaner mine.  Which may be good for the pocket but not necessarily for the gear itself.  

- Geothermal?
- Other?

Please share.  This is an important topic as it relates to performance and setups.
That is one of the biggest obstacles faced by bitcoin miners, both young and old, the setup for the cooling system of your mining farm matters a lot if you’re ever going to keep making profits from transactions.
Thetaj

Activity: 402
Merit: 116

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 04:09:24 PM

I think even if someone has a kickass cooling setup, they wouldn't share it here on the internet. It would be one of those "trick of the trade" kind of deal.

Because lets face it, Cooling and Maintainance is literally what makes or break a miner these days.
sikkan

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 05:28:15 AM

My miner is on carports loft and the roof isnt sealed around it so its ideal for mining! I use a standard desk fan to cool my rig other than the standard fans Smiley Works well during summer, and now, when its colder outside the heat is no issue at all!

▄▀▀▄         ▄▀▀▄
     ▀▄▄▀         ▀▄▄▀              ▄▄
       █           ▐▌           ▄▄▄█  █
       █      ▄▄████████▄▄    ▄█▀   ▀▀
       █▄▄▄▄████████████████▄█▀ 
         ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄ 
        ██████▀         ▐███████
 ▄▄    ▐█████▌   ▄████▄▄████████▌    ▄▄
█  █▄▄▄███████▄     ▀▀███████████▄▄▄█  █
 ▀▀    ██████████▄▄     ▀████████    ▀▀
       ▐███████▀▀████▀   ▐██████▌
        ██████▌         ▄███████
         ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
          ▄█████████████████▀▀▀▀█
        ▄█▀   ▀▀████████▀▀      █
       █▀          ▐▌           █
       █            ▀▀▀█        █
      ▄▀▀▄            ▄▀▀▄     ▄▀▀▄
      ▀▄▄▀            ▀▄▄▀     ▀▄▄▀

SOVREN

Blockchain Innovation for Securities Markets      Current STO Sale Price
          Trade. Pay. Borrow. Play.   ─────────────────────        1 SVRN = $1.00

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄██████
              ▄▄▄█████▀▀████▌
        ▄▄▄████████▀ ▄██████
  ▄▄▄██████████▀▀  ▄███████▌
▀███████████▀   ▄██████████
   ▀▀▀███▀    ▄███████████▌
        █▌  ██████████████
        ▐█ ██████████████▌
         █████▀ ▀████████
          ██▀      ▀████▌
                      ▀▀
polylogic

Activity: 546
Merit: 254

ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 05:32:08 PM

just for some Inspiration i leave you this here :

something like this should cool your rigs once you reach a certain amount of miners xD

but let me be real for a second.
the real question is:

how much power are you going to put into air movement.

if you can Keep your ambient temperature between 20 - 40 °c then everything is fine.

.Presale LIVE..Crypto Visa EU OUT NOW.✔ ◾ Bonus Payments.
Cashback ✔ ◾ Rainshowers ✔ ◾ Ambassador Bounty
Founding the next way of banking D E Z E N T R A L I Z E D

|

2gether.global

|

AI optimized
Community driven
Personal banking

❌ VFA Approved
✅ ERC-20 Token
⚠⚠ Join presale now!

Website