Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:09:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A BTC stock exchange for high-risk, unverified securities?  (Read 6104 times)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:39:31 AM

Yeah, will be working with issuers to get them into white, and then eventually blue.

I have a sneaking suspicion that companies who can list on blue wont go near glbse as they would be prevented by securities law from doing so.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:17:11 PM

Yeah, will be working with issuers to get them into white, and then eventually blue.

I have a sneaking suspicion that companies who can list on blue wont go near glbse as they would be prevented by securities law from doing so.

Do you have a specific law that prevents it?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:36:22 PM

There is no such law.

Bitcoins fall in the legal gray area, so there are no laws surrounding it. Given Nefario's (and other's) ideas for what it takes to enter the Blue Market, many small businesses could qualify. They could start an IPO to get funding to help expand their business, or any number of other possibilities. From an accounting standpoint, it would be somewhere on the same plane as when a larger company issues stocks/bonds on the normal security exchanges. The difference is that there's VASTLY less red tape to get through with GLBSE than there is with the SEC and NYSE...and it's cheaper.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 12:01:17 PM

There is no such law.

Bitcoins fall in the legal gray area, so there are no laws surrounding it. Given Nefario's (and other's) ideas for what it takes to enter the Blue Market, many small businesses could qualify. They could start an IPO to get funding to help expand their business, or any number of other possibilities. From an accounting standpoint, it would be somewhere on the same plane as when a larger company issues stocks/bonds on the normal security exchanges. The difference is that there's VASTLY less red tape to get through with GLBSE than there is with the SEC and NYSE...and it's cheaper.

Let's hope this is true.

dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:56:34 AM

Saying "the medium of exchange is a gray area, so securities law doesn't apply" wont keep you out of court if you are the first one over the hill to test it.  The legal fees just to have your day in court would bankrupt most small companies.  Think of it this way: there is no law that says suffocating someone with a plunger is illegal, but I suspect any judge can apply existing laws to that situation. The fact that is a gray area means it has risk, not that its free from risk.  Which is why some companies would be hesitant as stated earlier.

In the US, the Securities and Exchange Acts of 1933/1934 are legally worded to cover securities that are offered "using the means and instrumentalities of interstate commerce".  Pretty vague.  Using it as the basis of a filing for the prosecution is probably going to get it on the docket.  If it does apply, then Rule 144 alone decimates Bitcoin stock exchanges since direct placement of those securities would have a holding period and resale restrictions (legal compliance opinions, transfer agents, street name registration, percentage sale limitations, etc).

On the other hand, the Jumpstart Our Jobs Act of 2012 makes it much easier to crowd source funding for small businesses without the strict registration requirements.  This is where I would start if I was the defense.  You can make the case that these businesses are exactly covered by the JOBS Act.  Just stay under $10 million in funding and keep less than 500 unaccredited investors (or 2000 accredited and unaccredited investors).  Also make sure you aren't taking more than 2% of someones yearly income or more than $10k from someone making $100k/year.  I'm sure other rules apply.

IANAL, but I do work for a public company that I helped start over a decade ago.  Which means I had to learn a bunch of securities law for the time when my only compensation was stock (during the dot-com crash).  I've also been an active part in a federal trial for the same company and had to learn way more about US legal system than I ever thought I'd have to.

As far as the GLBSE BlueMarket, I think its a great idea.  But the requirements should be simpler than a fully reporting company on the Nasdaq OTCBB or else the cost would be about the same to maintain both listings.  (i.e. expensive).

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
RandomQ

Activity: 826

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 10:01:59 AM

Saying "the medium of exchange is a gray area, so securities law doesn't apply" wont keep you out of court if you are the first one over the hill to test it.  The legal fees just to have your day in court would bankrupt most small companies.  Think of it this way: there is no law that says suffocating someone with a plunger is illegal, but I suspect any judge can apply existing laws to that situation. The fact that is a gray area means it has risk, not that its free from risk.  Which is why some companies would be hesitant as stated earlier.

In the US, the Securities and Exchange Acts of 1933/1934 are legally worded to cover securities that are offered "using the means and instrumentalities of interstate commerce".  Pretty vague.  Using it as the basis of a filing for the prosecution is probably going to get it on the docket.  If it does apply, then Rule 144 alone decimates Bitcoin stock exchanges since direct placement of those securities would have a holding period and resale restrictions (legal compliance opinions, transfer agents, street name registration, percentage sale limitations, etc).

On the other hand, the Jumpstart Our Jobs Act of 2012 makes it much easier to crowd source funding for small businesses without the strict registration requirements.  This is where I would start if I was the defense.  You can make the case that these businesses are exactly covered by the JOBS Act.  Just stay under $10 million in funding and keep less than 500 unaccredited investors (or 2000 accredited and unaccredited investors).  Also make sure you aren't taking more than 2% of someones yearly income or more than $10k from someone making $100k/year.  I'm sure other rules apply.

IANAL, but I do work for a public company that I helped start over a decade ago.  Which means I had to learn a bunch of securities law for the time when my only compensation was stock (during the dot-com crash).  I've also been an active part in a federal trial for the same company and had to learn way more about US legal system than I ever thought I'd have to.

As far as the GLBSE BlueMarket, I think its a great idea.  But the requirements should be simpler than a fully reporting company on the Nasdaq OTCBB or else the cost would be about the same to maintain both listings.  (i.e. expensive).

Your Right But I think there is a posting on another thread from "Deathandtaxes" about using Profit Sharing agreements with a US Based LLC to allow you to get around this issue.

I already have a US Based bitcoin LLC that is becomng public information in the next few weeks, so I'm most likely going to "Dox" myself after that before I have nothing to hide.

I'm most likely going to Setup DBA's for all my Assets on GLBSE to point to my other non-bitcoin LLC, and reorganize the contracts to reflect that.

I already have a provision in my bylaws the forced me to file a motion for approval if I spend over 1 BTC. When I keep assets in BTC, I store them on public addresses so people can follow the coins.

I need more transparency to the BTC going into my asset and going Out VIA GLBSE, Currently I transfer all share sale profits to an IPO-Account Address. So the shareholder can see the money coming into the asset. I have a dividend account where I store the next dividend payment before sending it out. I have a growth account that has a percent of profit. And a weekly Mining Rig account so people can see the money going in.

If GLBSE would have the option of BTC Accounts that I could disclose to the shareholder Via GLBSE this would be great. So all sales of shares woould go Into my IPO-Account. and would be visible showing I have 10 BTC in GLBSE on my account.

I consider it a race with other asset owners to be able to get to the Top by becoming an A Listed Asset.
I consider myself "GREEN" to be the most Open asset because I'm so open about all finances of the company and try to post any detail no matter how small, most people don't see that because my market cap is very small and I don't have any problems being the small guy.

Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 02:57:58 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that there aren't any specific securities laws that deal solely in cryptocurrencies. There are definitely generic laws that can be manipulated to cover any form of currency exchange.

Exactly. Securities Law of 1933 is all about pushing transparency, and 1934 is all about giving the SEC broad power to regulate the sale of any security. I'm sure any lawyer worth their salt could use these laws as a basis of attack for taking down GLBSE because it acts as a Security Exchange. The SEC seeks to regulate all types of investment schemes. The question is, is GLBSE that big of a deal to make it worth the SECs time to go after it? By and large, bitcoin is still very much a niche market with 200,000 global active users on Mt Gox (used as my basis since it's the most popular exchange, https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120831.html) trading for normal currencies. Let's say there are 1 million active users throughout the world (which isn't too far fetched I think)...that's a sexy .015% of the total population.

I partially agree with this, mainly since the JOBS Act is all about helping businesses get funding, but a business started within GLBSE and solely based on Bitcoins wouldn't be subject to the same stipulations. This is because Bitcoins aren't a recognized form of currency under the government, it isn't backed by any entity or asset, and the value of the coin is solely determined by users of the coin. The business may have the equivalent of $10 million in funding one week, but $8 million the next..or $12 million the week after that. The regulations would probably come into play when the business exchanges Bitcoins for regulated currency, but I think the IRS would be quite a bit more interested in that than the SEC.

Anyway, Securities Law is INSANELY complex.

Agreed. I came to GLBSE because I had an idea and I wanted to see if I could make that idea come to fruition. Adding tons of requirements and restrictions that bars those of us without an established business defeats the point of GLBSE and Bitcoin.

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:35:43 PM

There's enough scams around here already.   Tongue

+1

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 07:03:44 PM

Just regarding Korbman's comments on the SEC and GLBSE, we're defacto based in the UK now and once we complete registration we'll be a UK company proper, this brings us under the Financial Services Authority(FSA) domain of influence which is a lot more relaxed than the SEC.

We're going to do what we can to make GLBSE and listing on it as legitimate as possible but also keep the paperwork down.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:52:22 PM

Just regarding Korbman's comments on the SEC and GLBSE, we're defacto based in the UK now and once we complete registration we'll be a UK company proper, this brings us under the Financial Services Authority(FSA) domain of influence which is a lot more relaxed than the SEC.

We're going to do what we can to make GLBSE and listing on it as legitimate as possible but also keep the paperwork down.

High-five to Nefario! Cool stuff, I'm interested to see how everything will play out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: