Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:07:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi Nakamoto Found ~ Introducing the CMG  (Read 33812 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

This is amazing, I couldn't imagine working on such a ground breaking, insane and awesome earth changing project and keeping quiet for 2 years.

Guys from CIA know how to keep secrets...  Smiley
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:22:32 PM

From a marketing point of view, its a dream to have such a mystery about the dawn of bitcoin.

However, the unmasking of the developers could also be a part of the next stage  of marketing.  One of the magic of the big tech names is the people behind them.  Microsoft has Bill Gates, Apple had Steve Jobs and Facebook has whatshisname!
Linus was the face of Linux, and while he did very little of the day to day work once Linux became mainstream, he was the symbol who helped move the idea to that mainstream takeup!

While trying to sell Bitcoin to the masses, you need more than just a good idea and implementation - you need a great story.  The mystery start is a great story, but you do need a famous head to move it forward.

OTOH, given the break-from-the-norm and decentralized nature of Bitcoin, perhaps maintaining a mystery head is exactly in line with what Bitcoin is all about anyway.
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:30:58 PM

His house in the Bahamas, obviously.

Nah.  He's a thinker and doer.  Not one to sit on the beach.  I've often thought about what he's up to now, because he's got the funds to really make an impact now.  I suspect he's been working on v2, on the side if nothing else.  The last 3 years have given him a ton of real-life data to work with.

I suspect he's someone with a wife and young children.  Someone young and with no family would have more freedom to face the legal and political ramifications of inventing a new currency.  Once you have a family, you have obligations to people other than yourself.  Plus, my wife would kill me if I did something like this without anonymity.

4096R/F5EA0017
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:48:22 PM

Plus, my wife would kill me if I did something like this without anonymity.

Maybe it's time for you to get a better wife.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:53:35 PM

Edit: This thread was created to discuss the possibility that Donal O'Mahony, Michael Peirce, Hitesh Tewari and now Michael Clear (et al., possibly more) make up the Crypto Mano Group, referred to as CMG (mano is Irish for coin), an entity we currently label as Satoshi Nakamoto.
Now where have I seen this White Paper before? http://www.w3.org/Conferences/WWW4/Papers/228/

Also, what is more interesting - check out the headers of this URL:

(Status-Line)   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Via   1.1 tinyproxy (tinyproxy/1.8.3)
Content-Type   text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Etag   "b21e-2e61b9105c040"
Server   Apache/2
Cache-Control   max-age=21600
Expires   Tue, 12 Mar 2013 03:50:00 GMT
P3P   policyref="http://www.w3.org/2001/05/P3P/p3p.xml"
Date   Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:50:00 GMT
Last-Modified   Thu, 09 Nov 1995 22:27:05 GMT
Content-Length   45598
Accept-Ranges   bytes

So this document is almost 20 years old !

They had more than enough time...

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1461
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 10:03:45 PM

Satoshi told me that Bitcoin was roughly 2 years in the making before it was released. I am very skeptical he was at that meeting. Much more likely is that he simply copied the BibTEX citation code from here:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.13.6228

As you can see, the "booktitle" attribute is simply the name of the meeting

Code:
@INPROCEEDINGS{Massias99designof,
    author = {H. Massias and X. Serret Avila and J.-J. Quisquater},
    title = {Design Of A Secure Timestamping Service With Minimal Trust Requirement},
    booktitle = {the 20th Symposium on Information Theory in the Benelux},
    year = {1999}
}

I think this sort of thing is a waste of time. He clearly wanted to be left alone. If one day he decides to rejoin the project, I'm sure he'll be willing to answer questions about his background.

That's interesting. That bibtex is incorrectly formatted to begin with. If that's the way it's publicly available, yeah I agree it's a waste of time. It's very odd to not see page numbers in the reference. That reference doesn't actually tell you where to find the abstract.

It's possible Satoshi did not have the page information at the time, if he only had the paper and not the whole proceedings available.

As you can see the paper as Massias published it does not contain that information.
http://www.uclouvain.be/crypto/services/download/publications.pdf.9ca0971b29e9c614.7064663131332e706466.pdf

The typical scenario for having knowledge of the presented paper but no published reference to it is having the meeting program (given to attendees). You cite that way before the proceeding are published (which is some time after the meeting).  But if someone's put it out publicly and not cited it as "in the proceedings of..." it's gonna get propagated that way.

It would be nice to at least look at the proceedings from the meeting though.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
FreddyFender

Activity: 215

Shamantastic!

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2013, 04:03:31 AM by FreddyFender

Did anyone notice that anarchy is back on the forum? Might have insight on our discussion. He was always on the forum during nov-dec 2010 when I first joined. Then went quiet except during times of high stress or high gains, didn't believe it was the same person until yesterday.
FF

Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 02:27:42 AM

At the risk of repeating myself: the most likely Satoshi candidate is Robert Hettinga.

It cannot be Michael Clear (among other reasons) because the Satoshi web posts show knowledge and culture dating to the 1980s. Michael Clear is a young man and could not have made those posts which were made by a man in his late 40s or 50s.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 08:57:32 AM

At the risk of repeating myself: the most likely Satoshi candidate is Robert Hettinga.

It cannot be Michael Clear (among other reasons) because the Satoshi web posts show knowledge and culture dating to the 1980s. Michael Clear is a young man and could not have made those posts which were made by a man in his late 40s or 50s.

Maybe that was a part of the deception, old boy?

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
ItsDom

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 12:41:26 PM

Is it not potentially dangerous for Satoshi if he/she/they are identified?

Think of the legal ramifications. Although Bitcoins legal position is at least a little bit hazy in most jurisdictions, there's bound to be some jurisdiction at some point that puts responsibility on the service provider, failing that, the service creator.

There's potentially a lot of tax that has gone unpaid because of Bitcoin and I'm sure the tax people would love to have someone to at least try and blame and recoup their losses from....

I'd love to know who Satoshi is, even if it's just to buy them a beer for their work. But I think, as mentioned previously, the selfless mystery creator(s) sacrificing fame and fortune for the good of mankind adds a certain element to Bitcoin, even if it just makes for good publicity.

Whilst a Satoshi Witch Hunt maybe interesting, novel etc. it's pretty selfish. He (she/they) created something for us all and all they asked for in return is a bit of privacy, for whatever reason. Leaving their identity unknown is the least we could do for them. If he/she/they wants to be known, I'm sure he/she/they will do it in their own time and on their own terms.

(aside: "selfless mystery creator(s) sacrificing fame and fortune for the good of mankind" conjures up images of religious folk knocking on my door offering me a flier with a picture of a man nailed to a cross on the front.)
bwstacker

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 08:32:32 PM

Satoshi is a genius. He can remain unknown for all I care. We all mine for Bitcoins that he created the programs for. I agree, maybe he should remain unknown. Just for the reason, "legal problems". I thank him myself for Bitcoins. It pays my rent and feeds me. Plus has given me progamming skills that I didn't have before. I thank him for this. I don't think that he is Gavin though. If Gavin is Satoshi, he have had a big workload for years. Gavin works for Google at the present time. He also is promoting Linux programs and software. I can't see Gavin been Satoshi. HJe would be a busy man if he was. He would be to worn out to work on such a complex system a Bitcoin.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 09:13:52 PM

Satoshi is a genius. He can remain unknown for all I care. We all mine for Bitcoins that he created the programs for. I agree, maybe he should remain unknown. Just for the reason, "legal problems". I thank him myself for Bitcoins. It pays my rent and feeds me. Plus has given me progamming skills that I didn't have before. I thank him for this. I don't think that he is Gavin though. If Gavin is Satoshi, he have had a big workload for years. Gavin works for Google at the present time. He also is promoting Linux programs and software. I can't see Gavin been Satoshi. HJe would be a busy man if he was. He would be to worn out to work on such a complex system a Bitcoin.

Gavin doesn't work for Google, Mike Hearn does.
IntraDayer

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 07:02:51 AM

I'd prefer this version of who Shatoshi Nakamoto is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDJTGTrEm0

Check it out...

The speaker discribes Shinichi Mochizuki
http://bannex.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-03-30-mochizuki-shinichi-pic4-452x302-80776.jpg
Operatr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 12:31:50 PM

I'd prefer this version of who Shatoshi Nakamoto is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDJTGTrEm0

Check it out...

The speaker discribes Shinichi Mochizuki

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/05/19/ted-nelson-says-that-bitcons-satoshi-nakamoto-is-shinichi-mochizuki/

This guy actually does sound like a real candidate. I assumed either Satoshi was a genius, or a group of very good engineers.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1701

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 02:11:47 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 02:23:38 AM by BitcoinFX

There are some strong historical links between the group of mentioned individuals and my own theory.

The field of cryptography and e-cash systems back in 2008 / 2009 (and prior to that) was really rather limited. Most of these individuals attended similar conferences and/or published related cryptography, security and online privacy papers etc.

Yossi Nagy Moti - sound familiar to anyone ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206630.0

Cool

Shinichi Mochizuki is a very unlikely candidate in my honest opinion.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
xb0x

Activity: 181

Better don't say if you don't know!

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 12:51:14 PM

well for me, satoshi is/are person whom i will really want to know at certain time & learn more.
Satoshi & his/their ideas is interesting to know for me atleast. The more you come to know about him, more you want to know!
motatoys

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM

I am satoshi  Grin
bakuldada

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:10:23 PM

what is bounty on satoshi
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2014, 04:05:48 PM

Edit: This thread was created to discuss the possibility that Donal O'Mahony, Michael Peirce, Hitesh Tewari and now Michael Clear (et al., possibly more) make up the Crypto Mano Group, referred to as CMG (mano is Irish for coin), an entity we currently label as Satoshi Nakamoto.

Now where have I seen this White Paper before? http://www.w3.org/Conferences/WWW4/Papers/228/

Under the circumstances, the task of maintaining and querying a database of spent coins is probably beyond today's state-of-the-art database systems.

A bank within the PayMe system mints coins, maintains a database of the serial numbers of coins in current circulation to prevent double spending, and manages the accounts of merchants and buyers.

~Bruno~

This technology gives you anonymity, but does not give you decentalization.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 04:44:20 PM

I AM SATOSHI!!!!

NO I AM SATOSHI

NO I AM SATOSHI

Satoshi isn't one person, for those wondering  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: