Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:15:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a "fired" day?  (Read 1978 times)
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:51:32 PM

Once you have made this statement I feel compelled to nod, smile, or verbally respond. Quelle horreur! Doesn't the same apply to the pro forma "Have a nice day"?

Geez.  How is this any different than saying "Have a nice day"?  Or does that piss you grumps off too?
Yes the bank has the right to fire her, and the public has a right to not use the bank as a result if they disagree with the policy.  Isn'tt that a great thing?
Zolace you think the response would be the same if everyone at the bank says "as-salaam alaikum"? Or would the response here be that the teller should be fired?
I would respond with a "you too" myself, Sana.  "Peace be with you" doesn't offend me.  Why would it?
Wouldn't offend me at all. And you say it wouldn't offend you. But can you honestly say that people here, some conservatives here, would not have a problem with it?

Usually when people say that people should be allowed to express religious sentiments, they mean their religious sentiment and not others.

I can assure you that if this thread was about someone saying "as-salaam alaikum" at a bank, the conservatives here would be asking for that teller to be fired.
I assure you they would not. (As long as those words didn't accompany a bomb blast or a shooting. LOL.) People say things just to be nice sometimes. Just dammit be nice back. It will not kill you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:53:59 PM

Once you have made this statement I feel compelled to nod, smile, or verbally respond. Quelle horreur! Doesn't the same apply to the pro forma "Have a nice day"?

Geez.  How is this any different than saying "Have a nice day"?  Or does that piss you grumps off too?
Yes the bank has the right to fire her, and the public has a right to not use the bank as a result if they disagree with the policy.  Isn'tt that a great thing?
Zolace you think the response would be the same if everyone at the bank says "as-salaam alaikum"? Or would the response here be that the teller should be fired?
I would respond with a "you too" myself, Sana.  "Peace be with you" doesn't offend me.  Why would it?
Wouldn't offend me at all. And you say it wouldn't offend you. But can you honestly say that people here, some conservatives here, would not have a problem with it?

Usually when people say that people should be allowed to express religious sentiments, they mean their religious sentiment and not others.

I can assure you that if this thread was about someone saying "as-salaam alaikum" at a bank, the conservatives here would be asking for that teller to be fired.
I assure you they would not. (As long as those words didn't accompany a bomb blast or a shooting. LOL.) People say things just to be nice sometimes. Just dammit be nice back. It will not kill you.
You know, this is interesting. 

Though consensus is employer was justified in the firing, not so certain I agree with the bank's case.  "Blessed" is a pretty ubiquitous adjective.  DD pointed out that neo-pagans use the term, and I've used "Bless you,".  I know I've also said, when reflecting on, um, blessings, things like "We're blessed to live in this time and this place".  Even used that southern staple "Bless your heart!" I don't like the idea that a generic expression of good will can be justifiable cause for termination. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:56:07 PM

"Blessed" is, I suspect, a regional term in general conversation, residing mostly in our Southern states. You virtually never here the term in the North in general conversation.

And if it is part of your linguistic dialogue you might not be a  good judge of how others receive the word...just saying.
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 02:59:23 PM

"Blessed" is, I suspect, a regional term in general conversation, residing mostly in our Southern states. You virtually never here the term in the North in general conversation.

And if it is part of your linguistic dialogue you might not be a  good judge of how others receive the word...just saying.
It is ok...if you have not lived in both the North and the South you would not know the difference in the use of the word.

But ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of, you can learn by reading posts and listening to others...if you just cut off the part of your tongue that you use for biting remarks.Even used that southern staple "Bless your heart!"

Glad i could help you here.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:02:37 PM

It is ok...if you have not lived in both the North and the South you would not know the difference in the use of the word.

But ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of, you can learn by reading posts and listening to others...if you just cut off the part of your tongue that you use for biting remarks.Even used that southern staple "Bless your heart!"

"Bless your heart" is a derogatory phrase insulting someone's intelligence, people from the south know this.  That's why I respond in kind with "That's nice" which means "f*** you" in southerneze.   

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:11:25 PM

"Bless your heart" is a derogatory phrase insulting someone's intelligence, people from the south know this.  That's why I respond in kind with "That's nice" which means "f*** you" in southerneze.   
That is not the original meaning of "Bless your heart" and I still know a lot of southerners who use it and mean as a nice comment. People have just gotten so damned sensitive. But yes, it has evolved into another meaning when said in a certain tone. But you go ahead and insult well meaning people if you wish. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:29:36 PM

Now we're going to pick a nit as to who is southern and who isn't?  Texas was a member of the Confederacy, which was about as "South" as it got.   Down here, you know when someone says "bless your heart" if they're really blessing, or saying a saccharin FU.   More often than not, it's the latter.  

sana8410 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:32:43 PM

Now we're going to pick a nit as to who is southern and who isn't?  Texas was a member of the Confederacy, which was about as "South" as it got.   Down here, you know when someone says "bless your heart" if they're really blessing, or saying a saccharin FU.   More often than not, it's the latter.  
While I have visited but not lived in the south, it may surprise non native Californians to know a fair number of transplanted southerners reside here, some of whom are friends.  So, while not unaware of the usage of "bless your heart" as honeyed barb know it's also used affectionately, not necessarily religiously.  

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:35:31 PM

There you go again. You are saying that it is a southern saying and I know someone on this board who says it a lot and she is not a southerner. DO you want to challenge me on that since YOU brought up people that say that on this board?  As I said. The meaning is all in the tone.
Question: Why can't you carry on a conversation without attempting to insult people? Did you learn that from your parents?

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 03:47:53 PM

That is the answer to this so-called dilemma , I will begin using Aloha for every occasion.  ;-)

Seriously,  a quick look at my good old Merriam -Webster shows multiple definitions for the word Blessed.  The religious definition means "holy" or "beatified", while the non-religious definition means simple "Delightful".  Which is generally the way I interpret someone who wishes me a "Blessed Day'  Simply wishing me a delightful day.  And even if the person who says to me "Have a Blessed Day" is meaning have a Holy Day, as long as he or she is not saying who or what makes the day "holy".  And as such the expression remains generic and neutral with regard to specific religious tradition or belief..  Now if someone actually says "May the Good Lord bless you and keep" -- Or something like "Christ (or Allah) be with you, it does cross a certain religious boundary.  Although even then I would be not be offended or even the least bit annoyed.  

Having said all of that, I really do not have enough information  to determine if I can justify the firing or not.  If the employees history included  any degree of proselytizing, that is one thing.  On the other hand if it was obviously a greeting that was simply used in a generic manner, associated with a regional speech pattern, I  would object to the firing on a personal level.  Although the employer may be on solid legal ground based on how the manner in which specific instructions wee given tot he employee.

In any event, let me end by simply saying to everyone  "Avere un giorno meraviglioso".

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 10:06:21 PM

She wasn't fired for her religious beliefs, she was fired for purposefully ignoring orders.  I would've fired her too; if I ask you to do X and you do Y, you have made yourself useless to me, ergo unfit for employment.  Then she lies about why she was fired, claims it was because she was religious, pulls out the discrimination card, and expects to be paid for not working there anymore like the business is her ex-husband.

In other news, feminists are outraged that businesses aren't hiring enough women. Kiss
If she's smart she'll tell them she's gay, and then she'll not only get her job back, but a bonus and a parade to go along with it.

Yep that sounds about right going with the way US Bank handled this and why Chase Bank asked the gay question in an internal company survey lol.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: