Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:17:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I make the jump?  (Read 862 times)
LIFEofNOOB (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 09:59:12 PM

I'm looking into ASIC mining and have found a the Rockminer RK Box which claims to get between 450 and 490 Gh/s. They go for around $700 a pop. Using the online calculators, with a conservative 450 Gh/s I should break even after 99 days (at my current power costs).

Is this worth the investment? I was thinking of picking one up, putting it to work 24/7 and once the pay off point hits, use that to invest in a second , third and forth unit for a total combined hashrate of around 1.8 - 2 Th/s. I should be able to put this all together within 6 months (with some cash out of pocket).
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 10:01:13 PM

I'm looking into ASIC mining and have found a the Rockminer RK Box which claims to get between 450 and 490 Gh/s. They go for around $700 a pop. Using the online calculators, with a conservative 450 Gh/s I should break even after 99 days (at my current power costs).

Is this worth the investment? I was thinking of picking one up, putting it to work 24/7 and once the pay off point hits, use that to invest in a second , third and forth unit for a total combined hashrate of around 1.8 - 2 Th/s. I should be able to put this all together within 6 months (with some cash out of pocket).

I made a thread asking this same question not too long ago. The general consensus is to just buy BTC, as mining can become a money pit very quickly.

Some people choose to mine, earn some BTC, and then sell their miners for profit on eBay or Craigslist, and have had mixed success.

Basically, mining is pretty much a hobby now.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2014, 10:44:49 PM

Not sure which calculator you used, but you'll never ROI with an RK-Box at $700.  Use this one, it'll set you straight:

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

Actually, you'll be mining for a pure loss(electricity costs more than mining costs) by December of this year alone with that miner.

Only way you'd ROI is if you have "free electricity", and you run the RK-Box until February of next year.

Only hope of ROI'ing this year, is if you get this miner for $1 per GH/s or $500 or less and have free electricity costs and cooling.

Or if have cheap electricity($0.10 or less) and you buy it for $300 or so, then you could conceivably ROI this year.

Otherwise, the harsh reality is there is no hope of ROI for home miners.

BUY AND HODL BTC if you don't gots more than 10 TH/s in miners and free or cheap electricity and cooling!

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀