Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:02:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Select all which apply  (Voting closed: March 30, 2012, 01:15:45 AM)
I'd buy community-made granola in some form for $10/pound - 20 (33.3%)
I'd pay 20% more if the honey were bought from a community-member using BTC - 8 (13.3%)
I'd pay 100% more for using ultra-high-quality and exotic ingredients - 5 (8.3%)
I'd pay 50% more to ensure the granola is "organic" - 5 (8.3%)
I live outside the continental US and thus will be unable to purchase the granola in question. This makes me sad. - 13 (21.7%)
I have interest in this, but I don't see this particular venture working for reasons I'll talk about below - 2 (3.3%)
Fuck granola. - 7 (11.7%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] Home-made granola  (Read 3469 times)
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 01:51:40 AM

Our package arrived yesterday and I opened it today for lunch so everyone could have a taste.  10 minutes later it was almost completely gone except for the little stash I kept for myself.  So take that to mean the family liked it.  It is dense and filling enough, that we didn't make anything else to eat.

It is a crunchy granola with plenty of nuts, seeds, and other healthy things.  There are lots of large chunks so it is easy to eat as a snack.  You can taste the honey and brown sugar, but it is subtle.  Mostly you taste the nuts and things.  Once we started eating it, we just kept going back to it.  "Strangely addicting" was my wife's comment.

As much as I would love to keep selling you honey, shipping costs of honey are very expensive.  One way to reduce the cost would be to find a local beekeeper and buy their honey Undecided

The big expense, (besides shipping) is the almonds.  We buy almonds around $2.80/ lbs. but have to buy several 50 lbs. boxes at a time.  (We make honey roasted almonds during the Farmer's Market season).

Anyway, we loved it.

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 02:41:59 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2012, 01:01:55 PM by Kluge

Our package arrived yesterday and I opened it today for lunch so everyone could have a taste.  10 minutes later it was almost completely gone except for the little stash I kept for myself.  So take that to mean the family liked it.  It is dense and filling enough, that we didn't make anything else to eat.

It is a crunchy granola with plenty of nuts, seeds, and other healthy things.  There are lots of large chunks so it is easy to eat as a snack.  You can taste the honey and brown sugar, but it is subtle.  Mostly you taste the nuts and things.  Once we started eating it, we just kept going back to it.  "Strangely addicting" was my wife's comment.

As much as I would love to keep selling you honey, shipping costs of honey are very expensive.  One way to reduce the cost would be to find a local beekeeper and buy their honey Undecided

The big expense, (besides shipping) is the almonds.  We buy almonds around $2.80/ lbs. but have to buy several 50 lbs. boxes at a time.  (We make honey roasted almonds during the Farmer's Market season).

Anyway, we loved it.
Thanks! We've gone through almost the entire 5 lb jug you shipped. I did find my state's Beekeeping Association, so hopefully they'll be able to point me toward some people. I do like the idea of using community-produced ingredients for community-produced end-products, though.

The USPS shipping charges are killer. I don't see any way out of only offering 3lb, 6lb, & 10lb orders. Dunno where you're able to find almonds that cheap, but I'd love to know. I did a fair bit of searching, and the best I can find is ~$3.85/lb, which I think I can talk down to ~$3.35/lb (+ free shipping) if I make a ridiculously large order. I just need to be able to swallow ordering >$500 worth of almonds. Cheesy

Hmmm... you know... maybe I'm going about it wrong trying to find everything myself. I would be surprised if I couldn't find some people able to get me great deals on ingredients if I issue a bounty for the cheapest high-quality ingredients possible. If everyone else is pleased with the granola, I think I'd be willing to commit to that.

Cheers,

Ben

ETA: Found "Whole & Broken" almonds @ $2.74 with just a 50lb commitment. Not shabby, but shipping pushes it up to nearly $4/lb.
Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 06:25:38 PM

They have something in Sweden called "Start!" (the original brand name) or "Crunchy müsli" which looks like it's very similar to granola.
This is a google translation of the ingredients:
Rolled oats, sugar, vegetable oil, syrup, wheat flakes, wheat germ, glucose syrup, wheat bran, salt, vanilla aroma. May contain traces of nuts.
Would you say that's the same thing as granola? There are versions with raisins, nuts and berries as well.
Here's a picture of a box:

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 12:46:08 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2012, 06:58:38 AM by Kluge

They have something in Sweden called "Start!" (the original brand name) or "Crunchy müsli" which looks like it's very similar to granola.
This is a google translation of the ingredients:
Rolled oats, sugar, vegetable oil, syrup, wheat flakes, wheat germ, glucose syrup, wheat bran, salt, vanilla aroma. May contain traces of nuts.
Would you say that's the same thing as granola? There are versions with raisins, nuts and berries as well.
Here's a picture of a box:

Looks more like "Honey & Oats" (Oil, sugary syrup, sugar syrup, and sugar in place of honey). I did find a cheap box of "natural" granola at Walmart with typical ingredients (plenty of seeds & nuts), though. $3 for something like 12oz -- haven't tried it, yet. (ETA: I did end up trying the supermarket granola. It'd make a decent cereal. Surprisingly sugary, no nuts, seeds were far fewer than I expected, so largely just oats & sugar with a few pumpkin seeds tossed in. Nothing in it's bound together. Still pleased with our product.)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 01:18:41 AM

I agree with this completely! "Strangely addicting", indeed. I like how there are large bar-like chunks. It's so easy to eat that you just feel like grabbing one more piece. I ate 1/2 lb of the stuff over 15 minutes before I forced myself to stop!

As for one of my friends, who consumes far more granola than I, he said that he could really taste the honey, and he enjoyed the natural flavor (I purposely didn't tell him much about it at first so I could get the best feedback). He didn't like how it crumbled in his mouth (not much you could/should do about that), but more importantly, he said that it "lacked a distinct flavor". Overall, however, he enjoyed it very much.

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 03:16:21 AM

I agree with this completely! "Strangely addicting", indeed. I like how there are large bar-like chunks. It's so easy to eat that you just feel like grabbing one more piece. I ate 1/2 lb of the stuff over 15 minutes before I forced myself to stop!

As for one of my friends, who consumes far more granola than I, he said that he could really taste the honey, and he enjoyed the natural flavor (I purposely didn't tell him much about it at first so I could get the best feedback). He didn't like how it crumbled in his mouth (not much you could/should do about that), but more importantly, he said that it "lacked a distinct flavor". Overall, however, he enjoyed it very much.
I'm thinking we could try molasses. Someone else was requesting a similarly distinct flavor, stronger brown sugar flavor, butter, & raisins. No reason we can't modify what we're doing.

Crumbling we can fix, too. We can adjust bake time so it's softer (might have a lesser shelf life, and honey may taste less "mellow," but all the nuts, seeds, oats are roasted once prior to the second bake, so they shouldn't have any type of raw taste), or crispier if wanted.

Thank you, Maged.  Smiley
TheStig

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 04:21:37 AM

Could I get chocolate granola?

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 04:23:55 AM

Could I get chocolate granola?
In 4-10 weeks, yes, that's intended to be an option.  Smiley
TheStig

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 04:52:23 AM

Why does it take a while? And I'll be waiting when it's available but in the meantime, I'll be eating this

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 06:03:03 AM

Why does it take a while? And I'll be waiting when it's available but in the meantime, I'll be eating this

The first two batches were tests. I still lack licensing, and am working on securing the most optimal ingredients & packaging (see sig). On top of that, I don't want to send out something I'm not sure of. I don't want a variation of the recipe going out if not satisfied by it. I stand by our coin-back guarantee and have no interest in encouraging refunds to be sought with poor granola.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 04:24:01 PM

From another one of my friends: "It's oaty. I like it, but someone who isn't a huge fan of oats might not."

While I agree, I sort of believe that it's the oaty flavor that makes them so addicting.

Global BTC

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 02:32:19 PM

From another one of my friends: "It's oaty. I like it, but someone who isn't a huge fan of oats might not."

I guess someone that don't like oats isn't supposed to like granola.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 02:39:35 PM

I guess someone that don't like oats isn't supposed to like granola.
Agreed!  Cheesy
It's the oats that make me go for granola. Pity I'm not in the US now, so I can't get some from you.  Cry
TheStig

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:54:19 AM

Agreed!  Cheesy
It's the oats that make me go for granola. Pity I'm not in the US now, so I can't get some from you.  Cry

Maybe you can Shocked
I could re-ship them to you using my Discounted Fedex account?

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 05:55:14 AM

Agreed!  Cheesy

Maybe you can Shocked
I could re-ship them to you using my Discounted Fedex account?
The total cost would be exorbitant for a package of granola then.  Cry
TheStig

View Profile
March 31, 2012, 06:03:43 AM

The total cost would be exorbitant for a package of granola then.  Cry

I could check what it would cost?

lolwut
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000