Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:58:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining profitability at 0.1619Euro kWh  (Read 1479 times)
ternit (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 03:00:45 PM

I love the idea behind bitcoins and mining i really want to get in to it.
Is it possible for me to even make profit at that rate of electricity?

What hardware should i invest in if its profitable? At the moment using a 5770@196Mash/s and paying extra 5 Euro a month just to mine
I know about the online calculators but they just don't tell you what hardware to invest in to if you want to turn a profit.

Any help would be appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 05:26:29 PM

Is it possible for me to even make profit at that rate of electricity?

Since the calculator uses USD first convert your electric cost to USD.

Converting 0.1619 EUR to USD gives $0.21 kWh rate.  Ouch!

Typical power consumption for that card (5770): about 100 Watts or more.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

So if you are running that 24x7, just the card itself (not including power consumption from the rest of the PC) is consuming:
 100 Watts X 24 hours = 2.4 kWh / day
 Cost per day: 2.4 kWh X $0.21 USD = $0.504 USD per day.

If your computer is already running 24x7 then mining is costing you an additional $15 USD per month ($0.504 X 30 days) for electricity.

Bitcoins generated, at current difficulty: 0.13 BTC or $0.67 per day.  At the current difficulty, mining is bringing in about $20 USD in revenue.
 - http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

So mining is giving you a profit of $5 USD per month.

If you include the cost of electricity consumed by the computer as well, that rig is losing money every day (at the current difficulty and BTC/USD exchange rate levels) due to your electric rates being so high.

What hardware should i invest in if its profitable?

The mining hardware comparison will show other GPUs that are more efficient, but that isn't your problem.  The cost of electricity for you is too high for you to mine using GPUs and earn anything that would resemble profit (especially once you include the cost of capital).  FGPAs will help as they are about 10X more efficient than GPUs, but then again you are competing against those who are paying electricity rates half or less than you are paying.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ternit (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 05:36:32 PM

Cheers,

I just contacted Butterflylabs and i think i'll be ordering a single, it would pay off in a year of mining. I was looking at Ztex Boards and X6500 but i dont think im tech savy enough to make them work, wheres BFL Single is just plug and play and works with cgminer which i use now. Do you think it's a good idea ?
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 08:07:14 PM

Cheers,

I just contacted Butterflylabs and i think i'll be ordering a single, it would pay off in a year of mining. I was looking at Ztex Boards and X6500 but i dont think im tech savy enough to make them work, wheres BFL Single is just plug and play and works with cgminer which i use now. Do you think it's a good idea ?
That looks nice, could you please keep us posted on this?

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key
ternit (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:09:18 PM

Should be ordering in next 2 weeks will keep you updated how's it going .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: