Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:12:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum computers: possible menace to Bitcoin?  (Read 3040 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:17:29 PM

When it comes to menaces, my only realistic concern I can think off is someone (or a group off) extremely rich people (think the Bilderberg Group for instance) decide to fuck up Bitcoin for X reasons, buy an insane army of ASICS and aim them all strategically to go 51%++

What do you think of such sceneareo?

Yep, or regulate it to death so it won't be mainstream,  or buy and sell large, random amounts frequently for an indefinite period of time to create intolerable volatility.

Yeah, but also, I think sometimes people compliate it so much. What about good ol old school bribing? Let's say a super powerful wealthy entity starts a plan to bribe current stakeholders. Say, the Winklevii. They great approached by said super rich entity, and they get told that, if they sell all of their stake to said entity, they will recieve a ridiculous amount of interest as well.
They do this with every single stakeholder.
From an outside POV, if done subtly the price would go low for sure, but Bitcoin has taken a lot of blows already and recovered. What would have changed in this scenareo is that all the big stakes now belong to an institution with evil intentions.

No need for "bribing".  Entities that wish to acquire coins can simply buy them
at or above market price.   If i was super wealthy and wanted a ton of coins,
I would be contacting large miners, not the Winklevii, as well as purchasing
over time from exchanges.

nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 02:56:51 PM

The same questions being asked over and over by newbies.
No, relax, nothing will kill bitcoin.

Well I don't necessarily agree with this. There has to be and there will be something that will come along and kill bitcoin. Such as the end of electricity, Armageddon etc. xD

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:29:49 PM

Well I don't necessarily agree with this. There has to be and there will be something that will come along and kill bitcoin. Such as the end of electricity, Armageddon etc. xD

end of electricity/Armageddon will kill all currency, all you have left to rely on is food and a gun/knife. money will be meaningless so people wont care about money in those 2 scenarios, only survival

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 15, 2014, 03:33:57 PM

end of electricity/Armageddon will kill all currency, all you have left to rely on is food and a gun/knife. money will be meaningless so people wont care about money in those 2 scenarios, only survival

Good point. I didnt think that far ahead.... Hell I bet you could trade a pound of gold for a 16 oz sirloin if that happens.

hollowframe

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:23:43 AM

Paper money would still potentially have value as people will need something to trade with.
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 12:39:03 AM

Bitcoin is invulnerable to this kind of things, even if those transformer guys come and try to menace Bitcoin will fail.

But we, Bitcoin holders are not invulnerable, on the contrary, if one of those things comes to appear, god help us with scammers, reivers hackers and evil people who will use that quantum power to f*ck our lives.

What we needed, quantum scammers  Angry
Mikerogers

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:18:35 AM

Bitcoin will adapt to quantum computers when they come, this topic is addressed well here: http://www.panture.com/how-quantum-computing-will-affect-bitcoin/
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 01:36:50 AM

Paper money would still potentially have value as people will need something to trade with.
[/quote]

if i told you that the electricity had gone and that means no ATM's, no bank systems, no cashier machines. would people care about paper money.. no, because bank notes utility and access has just gone. (watch the TV show 'revolution')

if i told you the world is about to end this week, why would you accept a bank note, after all what can you do with a bank note. id prefer a gun and a car. but i wont have months of working to earn enough bank notes to get a car and gun in a week. so as everyone will be dad next week. ill just break a car window and take it.. that's why its called an apocalypse.. civilization ends!

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: