Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:16:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OWS Holding a Conference on Alternative Currencies  (Read 1475 times)
chsados (OP)

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 12:44:53 AM

Call into the 'Call Out' mass conference call system at 772-597-9914 to listen to a discussion between two individuals who have been developing two different forms of alternative currency systems, in order to better understand how more abundantly available forms of exchange could potentially better meet everyone's needs and reduce our dependency on the Federal Reserve's money.

Devin Balkin is a social entrepreneur turned free/libre/open source activist. He has been involved in the alternative currency community for about 3 years. He's the founder or Sarap.is - a nonprofit dedicated to building an abundant world through the development, documentation and deployment of free/libre/opensource/solutions. He is currently working on the Occupy Wall Street PermaBank project, a free/libre/opensource gifting platform designed to develop into a personal exchange management platform.

Brendan Lewis is President and Co-Founder of Kelmscott, Inc; a company that invests in socially progressive technologies and founder of the Human Potential Project, a non-profit organization for the support of the humanities and sciences and their application towards human progress and development. They are currently in the process of developing socially progressive 'barter and trade' mobile application software aimed at fixing the deficiencies and inequalities present in the current U.S. markets and monetary system known as MINTA (money is not the answer).

The conversation will be modified by Harrison Schultz a PhD candidate in sociology at the New School for Social Research as well as a quantitative anti-market research analyst for the OWS affinity groups Revolutionary Games and occupywallst.org.

Send us your questions and comments via @owscallouts via Twitter, at owscallouts@gmail.com, or just write on the wall of this Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/198198520285913/
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jon
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 03:45:26 AM

"...quantitative anti-market..."

I lost all interest right there. Whatever these gentlemen come up with is going to be hopeless.

If you enjoy living in hippy communes and squatting in abandoned office buildings, this crap is for you.

They literally want a system where profit cannot be made, where growth is limited to a consumerist product or two in somebody's home. Thus the incentive for these systems to flourish is little to nil.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 04:09:52 AM

I lost all interest right there. Whatever these gentlemen come up with is going to be hopeless.

If you enjoy living in hippy communes and squatting in abandoned office buildings, this crap is for you.

They literally want a system where profit cannot be made, where growth is limited to a consumerist product or two in somebody's home. Thus the incentive for these systems to flourish is little to nil.
Basically, +1.

Equalizing benefits is a great way to completely kill off incentive to anyone to do anything productive.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:37:35 AM

The fuck is that?! 

What's an anti-market? I'm lost...

(BFL)^2 < 0
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 06:29:07 AM

The fuck is that?! 

I read it as "anti free market".  But yeah, pretty poor choice of words if their goal was clarity.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 03:43:42 AM

I have no hopes of OWS ever finding a clue, not because they are freeloaders, but because they are group thinkers. Their time would be better served trying to change America to the metric system.  Grin Shocked Cry Angry

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 04:35:33 AM

They can discuss for years on end, and what they will maximally end up with is Bitcoin. Such discussions are readily available online if you want to observe how they evolve. Everyone is so keen on bashing it using arbitrary myths, but when they honestly think about the problems, what they end up describing is always Bitcoin.
Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 07:48:09 PM

The fuck is that?! 

Its a from of anti-matter, and the dream of the OWS crowd.  They plan to generate one and smash it into the US economy thereby obliterating them both and ushering in a new era of social justice and economic equality...

In all seriousness I can't stand these tools.  They rail against corporations but shameless use the fruits of these entities.  If they were out there smashing their iphones and burning their clothes and moved to animal skins they hunted themselves, I would give them credit for for at least being consistent in their message.  Instead they deface public property, and shamelessly self promote themselves on various social networks.  These people are nothing more than attention seeking whores. 
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2012, 03:08:22 AM

The fuck is that?!  

Its a from of anti-matter, and the dream of the OWS crowd.  They plan to generate one and smash it into the US economy thereby obliterating them both and ushering in a new era of social justice and economic equality...

In all seriousness I can't stand these tools.  They rail against corporations but shameless use the fruits of these entities.  If they were out there smashing their iphones and burning their clothes and moved to animal skins they hunted themselves, I would give them credit for for at least being consistent in their message.  Instead they deface public property, and shamelessly self promote themselves on various social networks.  These people are nothing more than attention seeking whores.  

+1

This is akin to owning a giant house and globe trotting on your private jet exposing that climate change is caused by man, neglecting that you're setting an example.

~Bruno~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: