Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:50:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gotta vent - eBay/Paypal suck! AND some people are just scum  (Read 3653 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:42:40 AM

I got f*ckEd by paypal back then. I once sold an ebook I created a tutorial on PDF file and I sold it to few forums where its needed by webmasters and one of them is a Chinaman. After a week, maybe he didn't understood it well for of course the tutorial isn't for newbie but then I assume he did after clicking the "buy now" button.

He files a dispute after a week and got his $80s while he also got the pdf file. sweet!  Grin

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 04:51:39 AM

Stop using ebay and PP for these type of transactions. It's pretty clear that they are always going to favour the buyer so just find an alternative payment method (Bitcoin *cough cough*). While your concern about your customers not using Bitcoin may be valid, I don't see why only offerin Bitcoin as a payment method would be a big issue. After all if they are going to use an exchange/LB to sell their mined coins they might as well get set up with the documentation and buy some coins to pay you.
mercistheman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:19:36 AM

This happened to me a couple of times... then I learned how to exclude buyers... if you see a newb bidding on your equipment they can be added to the
"Blocked Bidder/Buyer list"... you can do this to the point of only accepting long time reputable buyers.
The last two sales have gone smoothly by using this feature.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:20:34 AM

Ebay and paypal need to implement a "final sale" policy on cryptos and crypto related products (and really stick to it).   If a miner is broken that is one thing, but if it is functional and is exactly what was advertised, a person shouldn't be able to get their money back from you after they purchased and paid for it fair and square.

The crazy thing is that I have never really had a problem with people being dishonest as sellers or buyers on ebay (but I have never sold anything BTC related).   It is as if the scammers flock to ebay for these items and it really sucks Sad
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:07:24 AM

I can do nothing but sympathize with you.  Buyers need to educate themselves, and if they do not read the print in the marketing material, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

There are several problems here:

1. Dishonest and stupid customers.
2. Ebay who does not care about you and does not listen.
3. Reversible payment options.

Some of those just need to go. But I guess there are other things to take into considerations as well, such as where the customers are.  Look closely at each point, and see what changes you can make. For instance, if you're located in the US, you could reject to send shipment outside US unless a non-reversible payment option is selected.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:06:38 AM

Only thing that i would ever "sell" on Ebay using PayPal as payment option are services. Something that takes only my time so if i get scamed it wont hurt as much (yes i know, time costs and all that but it hurts much less than when you invest $$$ and get scammed out of it).

Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 08:49:00 AM

becareful you don't refund the money and don't get the item back... thats also a common ebay/paypal scam/tactic...
basically the guy can just say he sent it back and paypal don't give a crap.

PSA: If you don't know what you are doing DO NOT buy thousands of dollars worth of mining equipment!

/rant

fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:32:18 AM

You know what really stinks is that eBay does this whole thing now that you can't leave your buyer bad feedback. You can leave "positive" feedback and then in the wording advise that he is a crook, but that's about it.
You should post his name here for all of us to avoid when we do business on eBay!
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:59:37 AM

Maybe a thread about ebay crooks should be posted where we all can check. This way we get to avoid future transaction to the said seller. I just loggedin in ebay and found there are actually hundreds of users there selling bitcoin hardware, mining contract and bitcoin itself.

Of course you have to prove the seller scammed you.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

This is why BTC's unreversable transactions are awesome, also fuck spelling and I feel bad for you OP Sad.
rezilient (OP)

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:02:12 PM

Stop using ebay and PP for these type of transactions. It's pretty clear that they are always going to favour the buyer so just find an alternative payment method (Bitcoin *cough cough*). While your concern about your customers not using Bitcoin may be valid, I don't see why only offerin Bitcoin as a payment method would be a big issue. After all if they are going to use an exchange/LB to sell their mined coins they might as well get set up with the documentation and buy some coins to pay you.

A few people have suggested accepting BTC as a form of payment on my Ebay ads. Let me assure i tried that, actually several different ways, and each time Ebay cancelled the auction and gave me a warning. I tried using images with no text, using BTC with the special unicode chars, etc.  I didnt want to keep risking getting banned or my account with 600+ positive feedback closed.

You don't pay enough.
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 02:47:57 PM

classic ebay scam.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:21:15 PM

E-bay allows escrow for high-value transactions. I suspect if the buyer said they were happy, and the escrow released the funds, it would be harder to reverse due to buyer's remorse. Presumably, if they buyer says they are not happy, the escrow does not release the funds back to the buyer until you get the equipment back.

I sent paper mail to E-bay's escrow provider about 3 years ago briefly explaining what Bitcoin was.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
rezilient (OP)

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:25:46 PM

E-bay allows escrow for high-value transactions. I suspect if the buyer said they were happy, and the escrow released the funds, it would be harder to reverse due to buyer's remorse. Presumably, if they buyer says they are not happy, the escrow does not release the funds back to the buyer until you get the equipment back.

I sent paper mail to E-bay's escrow provider about 3 years ago briefly explaining what Bitcoin was.

This is interesting! Looks like this is only available to vehicle sales via eBay Motors, right?

You don't pay enough.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

This is interesting! Looks like this is only available to vehicle sales via eBay Motors, right?

As far as I know, escrow is available for any transaction, but the ~$50 fee means it only makes sense for large transactions.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:28:34 AM

A few people have suggested accepting BTC as a form of payment on my Ebay ads. Let me assure i tried that, actually several different ways, and each time Ebay cancelled the auction and gave me a warning. I tried using images with no text, using BTC with the special unicode chars, etc.  I didnt want to keep risking getting banned or my account with 600+ positive feedback closed.
Your listing were likely flagged by users of eBay instead of being scanned/scrubbed by ebay's servers. Also once you have several listings that were canceled they would likely watch your account a little bit closer. 

This spot for rent.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2014, 05:14:05 AM

Sadly eBay and Paypal have stripped what limited power that sellers had to protect themselves long ago. You are defenseless to scammers on eBay as a seller.

Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 06:58:19 AM

Ebay needs to reevaluate their priorities. Favoring the buyers over the sellers has become pretty much the default position. Without sellers they have no buyers. The market is ripe for a competitor for sure.  

ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 06:59:23 AM

Dude that really sucks ass!  Feel really bad for you.  At least you got your equipment back though right?

jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:18:05 AM

Rezillient, sorry for your loss.  However, do you still have some left?  I am a novice miner myself and was looking for a scrypt miner that may still have some use.  I'm serious and I can transfer funds via BTC.  If the price isn't too outrageous that is.  Not sure if scrypt mining is even worth it anymore, but I want to try.  I'm fascinated with crypto and all facets of how they work.  I think last still have some life left yet.  Let me know.  And again, sorry for the eBay boondoggle. 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: