Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:26:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake  (Read 16370 times)
petko

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:54:25 AM

It's not that. It's the rich will have untouchable anonymous power. There is no way to stop a cabal of people from taking permanent control and reversing transactions discretely.
I think you were already answered:
Wealth PUT AT RISK PROTECTING THE NETWORK = stake.
As soon as the cabal that holds 51% of the stake in PetkoCoin starts cheating, the trust in PetkoCoin will fall, a new currency - CBeastCoin - will appear (probably with same source code), and the cabal will lose the real-life wealth they have invested in PetkoCoin. This is what guarantees that the cabal (if any) will not be malicious. Of course, it is out of question that the currency software should be open-source (IMO).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 02:31:44 PM

It's not that. It's the rich will have untouchable anonymous power. There is no way to stop a cabal of people from taking permanent control and reversing transactions discretely.
I think you were already answered:
Wealth PUT AT RISK PROTECTING THE NETWORK = stake.
As soon as the cabal that holds 51% of the stake in PetkoCoin starts cheating, the trust in PetkoCoin will fall, a new currency - CBeastCoin - will appear (probably with same source code), and the cabal will lose the real-life wealth they have invested in PetkoCoin. This is what guarantees that the cabal (if any) will not be malicious. Of course, it is out of question that the currency software should be open-source (IMO).
First of all, there is no way to prove a secret cabal exists because they would use darknets and other layers of obscurity. Second, they would not just start reversing transactions randomly, they would target their victims very selectively, such as corporations they wish to destroy or buy. Finally, PoS has no way to show evidence that an attack is happening. There are no mining pools to monitor their hashrate. The attack can come out of the blue without warning and leave no trace except the devastation is causes. They will have plausible deniability because the victim will have no evidence that they didn't try to double spend fraudulently. It's the perfect crime.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 05:10:15 PM

So, apart from the guys shouting "rich will get richer"

+1

I am surprised that more people can't see this. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:01:51 PM

But with PoS they need 51% of the entire wealth of the currency, to do so, and at that point why would they do it? they will only undermine themselves when discovered because the value of the currency will plummet.

With PoW, they only need about 10% of the wealth to overwhelm the mining hashrate, because the current Bitcoin mining operations are worth about 10% of the Bitcoin marketcap.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2014, 07:09:28 PM

But with PoS they need 51% of the entire wealth of the currency, to do so, and at that point why would they do it? they will only undermine themselves when discovered because the value of the currency will plummet.

They would never allow themselves to be discovered. There is no method of tracing controlling shares to individuals. Everything would be done in secrecy using TOR or other darknets and disinformation campaigns would be waged.

With PoW, they only need about 10% of the wealth to overwhelm the mining hashrate, because the current Bitcoin mining operations are worth about 10% of the Bitcoin marketcap.
There are many countermeasures against PoW attacks precisely because the hashrates are known. There are still vulnerabilities with Bitcoin, but because the transactions are more transparent, there will be better engineering solutions.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:07:07 AM

They would never allow themselves to be discovered. There is no method of tracing controlling shares to individuals. Everything would be done in secrecy using TOR or other darknets and disinformation campaigns would be waged.

There are many countermeasures against PoW attacks precisely because the hashrates are known. There are still vulnerabilities with Bitcoin, but because the transactions are more transparent, there will be better engineering solutions.

What are you talking about "they will never allow themselves to be discovered"? I can assure you, they will be discovered once they start reversing transactions. The identity doesn't matter. This particular crypto-currency will crash and burn over night, the attackers will be only hurting themselves since they hold over 51% of the currency.

On the other hand, attacking a PoW currency only need about 10% of the marketcap in cost. How does "hash rate is known" make it any harder to attack?? I don't understand, I would think it only makes it easier to plan the attack. In a PoS currency, the "unknown" part is really a safety mechanism, since the attacker can't easily figure out if he could ever obtain 51%, because he don't know who's holding what, and 51% may never be achieved simply because they are not available for sale.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:27:52 AM

What are you talking about "they will never allow themselves to be discovered"? I can assure you, they will be discovered once they start reversing transactions. The identity doesn't matter. This particular crypto-currency will crash and burn over night, the attackers will be only hurting themselves since they hold over 51% of the currency.

On the other hand, attacking a PoW currency only need about 10% of the marketcap in cost. How does "hash rate is known" make it any harder to attack?? I don't understand, I would think it only makes it easier to plan the attack. In a PoS currency, the "unknown" part is really a safety mechanism, since the attacker can't easily figure out if he could ever obtain 51%, because he don't know who's holding what, and 51% may never be achieved simply because they are not available for sale.
I don't think you will even get PoS supporters to back you up here. All currencies (including crypto) have weaknesses. If you claim that someone reversed your PoS transaction, how would you prove it? Everyone would call you a scammer. At least with PoW you can see orphaned blocks on hundreds if not thousands of nodes to show what happened. You may or may not get the network to help you, but at least they will watch for bad agents. In fact, major nodes are working diligently to prevent these types of problems.

petko

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 02:51:26 PM

It appears that Nxt already implement my idea - proof of stake only, open source (since 1st of March 2014) and of course the developers are the initial stake holders as it should be. It is a good idea to include that in the wiki, in order to prevent newbies like me causing unnecessary floods like the one I caused (apologies for that)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 04:01:46 PM

and of course the developers are the initial stake holders as it should be.
I guess the word "decentralized" means nothing to you.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
MegaHustlr

Activity: 601
Merit: 500

Vote 4fryn :)

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 04:11:49 PM

As it should be.. Nope nope nope, it shouldnt be that way.. as with bitcoinexcept for satoshi.

▄  ▀▄▄   ▀▄▄ ▀▄ ▀▄
             ▀█▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████ ▄
         ▀████▀▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▀███▄
 ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▀      ██▀▀     ▄██▀▀▀   █     ██
██    ▀█  ▄█▀▀▀▄  ▀█   ▄█▀   ▄▄▄ ▀██  █▀▀▄▀▄

▀▀▀   ▐█ █▌    ▐▌  █  ▐█ ▄█▀▀   █ █  ▄▀ ▄█ ▌
      ▐▌ ▀█ ▄▀▄█  █▀  █  █      ▐▌ █▀ █    ▀▄
      █     ▄█▀  ▀▀▀▀▄█  ▀█▄▄▀ ▄▀  █▄ █  ██ ▐▌
     █   ▄███▄▄███▄▄▄▄       ▄█▄▄▄▄ █▄    ▀  █ ▄
   ▄█▀▀▀▀     █▀      █   ▄█▀▀███    ▀▀▄▄   ▄██
  ▐█         ▐▌       ▐▌▄▀     ██        ▀███ ▐█
  █           ▀▄      ▐█▀       ▀█           ▀▀
  █▄           ██     ██         ██▄
   █▀            ▀     ▀          ▀█▀

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄██▄▄                ▄▄██▄
  ████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████▌
█████▀                  ▀█████▌
████    ███▄      ▄███    ████▌
████   ▐████      ████▌   ████
 ███    ▀██▀      ▀██▀    ███▀
  ▀██▄                  ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████████████████▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 05:04:11 PM

Keep in mind the cost parameters are quite different for a pure PoS block chain.  There are little computation requirements, and thus negligible capital requirements.  The notion of 'initial stakeholders' takes on quite a different meaning in this context.  As long as the code is open source[1] then there is little barrier to entry, and disagreeable initial disbursements are not likely to be adopted(due to higher competition).

[1] and observationally NXT is not open source.  Have a look at Reddcoin though, that's a bit more in the realm of what your considering.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
mighty jol

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 05:13:38 PM

anyone could explain the proof of stake velocity of reddcoin? honestly their paper is a bit foggy and i can't find anything detailed about it on their thread so if someone could enlight me it would be cool ^^.

petko

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 10:04:40 PM

No, it means something for me but there is apparently difference in the meaning for you and me.

Keep in mind the cost parameters are quite different for a pure PoS block chain.  There are little computation requirements, and thus negligible capital requirements.  The notion of 'initial stakeholders' takes on quite a different meaning in this context.  As long as the code is open source[1] then there is little barrier to entry, and disagreeable initial disbursements are not likely to be adopted(due to higher competition).
Long story short, at day one, the developers are the only ones who invested real-life efforts in this system, consequently they are the only ones interested in not destroying it.
More details about my point of view - here

[1] and observationally NXT is not open source.  Have a look at Reddcoin though, that's a bit more in the realm of what your considering.
I see a bitbucket project. But honestly I haven't fully examined this currency yet.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 11:13:25 PM

Keep in mind the cost parameters are quite different for a pure PoS block chain.  There are little computation requirements, and thus negligible capital requirements.  The notion of 'initial stakeholders' takes on quite a different meaning in this context.  As long as the code is open source[1] then there is little barrier to entry, and disagreeable initial disbursements are not likely to be adopted(due to higher competition).
Long story short, at day one, the developers are the only ones who invested real-life efforts in this system, consequently they are the only ones interested in not destroying it.
More details about my point of view - here

The proof of stake as alternative of proof of work is discussed almost 3 years already. The benefits are many, most important for me is that children will stop spending money for otherwise unnecessary hardware, hoping that this will provide them prosperity till the end of their lives. You cannot expect that, kid. You cannot expect that the society will provide you with food, drinks, car, apartment, etc, and the only thing you will give in return is 4 video cards set up in a crate. Things don’t work this way. Actually they work but only for a few initial adopters. This is why drug dealers still live with their moms. Better concentrate on education and creating real value.

I have to admit your writing made me laugh.

I do agree, the trust model of Bitcoin is flawed and it's worth examining.

I invented a chain model that uses predefined trust.  http://altchain.org

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 12:01:33 AM

with nxt you would need to hold 91% of the coins to do a "91% attack" against the network

your all guna get a big shock from nxt in the next few weeks lol

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
ldgryvvh

Activity: 41

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 06:40:44 AM

Hi guys, I'm struggling to grasp the block reward concept in Proof of stake algorithm. Does the lock reward remain consistent inside every block like say Bitcoin(25) because it's seems like they give off a percentage reward. So how does the block know how to reward according to percentage?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2016, 04:29:00 PM

Hi guys, I'm struggling to grasp the block reward concept in Proof of stake algorithm. Does the lock reward remain consistent inside every block like say Bitcoin(25) because it's seems like they give off a percentage reward. So how does the block know how to reward according to percentage?
"Proof of Stake" is a concept, it's not a specific method. The answer to your question will depend on the system implemented.

But generally, you have to distinguish minting new coins from transaction fees. In a PoS system, minting should be based on normal PoW just like in Bitcoin. But transaction fees will be replaced partially or wholly with fees paid out to stakeholders who sign blocks. The block knows how much to reward based on who signed the block(s), those who don't sign don't get paid.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
ldgryvvh

Activity: 41

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 07:47:20 AM

The block knows how much to reward based on who signed the block(s), those who don't sign don't get paid.
[/quote]

Can u explain more about this? How does the block "know" how much to reward?
Daffadile

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2016, 10:52:55 PM

The block knows how much to reward based on who signed the block(s), those who don't sign don't get paid.

Can u explain more about this? How does the block "know" how much to reward?
[/quote]

Because POS coins have what is known as weight and this weight is how the block rewards are distributed. There is a formula for it like the amount of weight x X x (365)/*pos percentage* = Reward.

So you get rewarded based on weight and time. More weight = quicker stakes. So If you don't have enough weight you might not stake very well.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
CoinMenX

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2017, 04:31:20 PM

I already announced this on two medium-long threads, but I figured why not announce it here as well.

Even if you don't agree with it, it's an interesting alternative/complement to Proof of Work, and worth reading about.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_Stake
sorry i am newbie, mastercoin is omilayer now?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: