Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:51:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain is too large?  (Read 909 times)
2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 10:21:14 PM

I'm probably not posting this in the correct location, so please move it as need be.

First off, I'm not completely up to speed to on development efforts. However, I became aware of an effort to decrease the size of blockchain. My understanding is that the problem with it being so large, and continuing to grow, is one of overhead to do the work of verifying transactions which use coins that have long histories.

Is this a correct understanding?

What sort of ideas are floating around to resolve this?

So, its clear that I don't know what ideas are out there. My idea has probably already been shared and addressed. And, if it has please explain why the concept won't work. But here's my concept.

Once a transaction is verified on the network, doesn't it seem redundant that the same body of work be performed the next time the coin is part of a transaction?

Why not establish a method to flag and prune coins at a certain limit of transactions?

The life of a coin with this mechanism in place would be...

1. Miner creates COIN
2. COIN is sent and split into multiple transactions
3. Once each piece of that COIN reaches X number of transactions, flag for pruning
4. When any piece of the coin is spent at a future transaction, the miner would evoke the algorithm on its copy of the blockchain
5. The algorithm should purge that coin and replace it with a clean one.

Is this a stupid idea that illustrates my lack of understanding?

Would it be possible to perform a synchronized replacement of that coin?
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 11:10:33 PM

You can't "purge" a coin. What you can do is, to use bootstrapping to "clear" the older history of a coin.

nest

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 05:42:27 PM

You can't "purge" a coin. What you can do is, to use bootstrapping to "clear" the older history of a coin.

Hope this could work.

NEXT THING IS NEST
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: