Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:01:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmaintech S1 Miner & Power Supply Fire (Nearly)  (Read 2179 times)
snowcrawl

Activity: 377
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:35:20 PM

The page for the Antminer S3 also states that you connect 2 PCI-E connectors for normal operation, or 4 PCI-E for overclocking.   It also recommends against connecting more than one PSU to a single Antminer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pjones

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:43:57 AM

If I were you, I'd have your current power supply checked out before continuing to use it.  Can't tell what has been damaged by the heat, and 1200w power supplies have plenty of current and can start a fire if some of the insulators are melted inside.

500-750W power supplies are cheap, pick up 3 of them, one for each miner, and if you don't split your leads, you should be okay.
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 06:43:32 AM

You don't have to be an electrician or scientist to know that power=current x voltage.  If you know how to read, you might discover that the 'power spec' of your power supply is a 'global' number for all voltage rails, not the 12V rails that are relevant to your miner (Antminer S1). Saying that your PSU has 1300W capacity is irrelevant to its use for a miner. You need to find the detailed spec of your specific power supply and check how much each rail and each power connector can provide.  Make sure that your power supply capacity (with a safety margin) handles the specified load of your miner.
IMHO using so called 'modular' power supplies is wrong, as the extra interface connectors are an additional opportunity for failure (guess what melted in your case - the 8 pin 'modular' connectors).  Using a power supply with 'hard wired' wiring is 'less tidy', more reliable and cheaper.

As pointed out earlier, consider yourself lucky that the only thing melted are those connectors/wires.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Cheers
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 10:57:20 AM

The page for the Antminer S3 also states that you connect 2 PCI-E connectors for normal operation, or 4 PCI-E for overclocking.   It also recommends against connecting more than one PSU to a single Antminer.
This statement is Not entirely correct.  Bitmain says not to connect more than one PSU to a single Blade. The S3 will have 2 PCI-e connectors per Blade. It will be fine to attach one PSU to one blade and a second PSU to the second blade. Now with that in mind, multi 12v rail PSU's most likely should be treated as Separate PSU's with regards to populating all 4 connections on an S3. In other words be mindful that 12v rail#1 could power one blade and 12v rail#2 should be on blade#2.
lovenlifelarge (OP)

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 06:25:41 PM

I've got an Antminer S3 miner i wanna put on the same power supply if thats possible??

In an earlier post you stated that you are not an electrician.  That doesn't mean that you can't start trying to think like one.  That means trying to err on the side of "more than adequate" power supply for each of your miners.  I wouldn't be thinking: "What is the maximum number of things I can get away with connecting to this PSU, including my brand new Antminer S3".  I would be more like: "I will be using 1 good quality PSU to power my new Antminer S3, and that PSU will not be supplying power to anything else."

And i would say good luck to you....

I have an S1 & an S3 connected to the same power supply, Works no problems... My rig's aren't overclocked so no dramas...

If S1 Push = 400w & S3 Push less than 400w then a 1200w power supply is fine...

I'd even go as far to say that a corsair 1000w power supply has all the modular plugs u need to run 2 x S3's off without a trouble in the world.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:08:07 PM

I've got an Antminer S3 miner i wanna put on the same power supply if thats possible??

In an earlier post you stated that you are not an electrician.  That doesn't mean that you can't start trying to think like one.  That means trying to err on the side of "more than adequate" power supply for each of your miners.  I wouldn't be thinking: "What is the maximum number of things I can get away with connecting to this PSU, including my brand new Antminer S3".  I would be more like: "I will be using 1 good quality PSU to power my new Antminer S3, and that PSU will not be supplying power to anything else."

And i would say good luck to you....

I have an S1 & an S3 connected to the same power supply, Works no problems... My rig's aren't overclocked so no dramas...

If S1 Push = 400w & S3 Push less than 400w then a 1200w power supply is fine...

I'd even go as far to say that a corsair 1000w power supply has all the modular plugs u need to run 2 x S3's off without a trouble in the world.
But you stated you wanted to run 3 miners off one supply, it may work with a 1200W supply or it might just melt down the weakest modular connector, either way 1000W isn't going to work for your stated 2XS1 + 1XS3. Once again, a 1200W PSU needs to be "VERIFIED" as to what the 12Volt rating is "SPECIFICALLY"because 1200W rated PSU is the COMBINED power of all rails, 3.3V+5.0V+12V+12V EPS+5.0V standby+5.0Vneg+12Vneg=1200Watts Rated Peak Power or is it 1200W on the 12V rail constant.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: