Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:12:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] btctip.com- send bitcoins with a tweet  (Read 13135 times)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:36:47 AM

Well looks like you had nothing to disagree with which give me more confidence of my understanding of your service to integrate to CIB

I think it's a great idea, but it might only be easy enough to integrate if an API is built for BTCTip that could notify third party sites like yours of payment receipts as well as the product #.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2012, 11:51:28 PM by Stephen Gornick

hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?

You need to put the #btctip directly before @[user]. The ordering of the terms in the tipping command has to be: #btctip @[user] [amount] [unit]. The tipping command can be put any where in the tweet (e.g. beginning, middle, end).

Also, note that you can only tip one person per tweet, so if you include two tipping commands in one tweet, it won't work.

I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Here's the one that this happened on. BTCTip has not yet sent out the tweet to notify the recipient:
 - https://twitter.com/bitcoindia/status/239272879458504706

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 07:02:53 AM

I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Hm ... another one that didn't get send out, and it wasn't an @reply -- but did have two @names in the tweet:

- https://twitter.com/bitcoinmoney/status/240252850570133504

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

amincd (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:26:21 AM

Sorry for not responding sooner:

Hm ... another one that didn't get send out, and it wasn't an @reply -- but did have two @names in the tweet:

BTCTip relies on Twitter's search results stream to retrieve messages with #btctip in it. Twitter search is not always reliable, so some tip messages won't be picked up, especially if they're from less important users, or if they're replies. Most #btctip tweets are detected by BTCTip though.

Thanks for bringing problems with the service to my attention.
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 01:47:58 AM

I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Try adding a dot in the first place when replying to a tweet. This way Twitter treat the reply as a normal tweet and let everyone read it (so BTCtip could).

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 05:32:58 AM

(the following is not meant as humor)

I like this service, albeit I've yet to use it. I see potential here. Imagine a user named TweetaGoat. Their sole purpose is to garner enough micro donations to send to some charitable organization that has a "Give a Goat" program in place. I'm only using goat as an example because it's currently trending on BitconTalk, but any worthwhile cause would work. The main drawback is that there currently isn't enough Tweeps using Bitcoin to make it work, but givin' time some notable is going to come along and bring this service awareness via some viral event.

Surely people would have no problem learning the easy system, for many of them already know how to text a five digit code to send to non-profits via SMS. Virtually the same principal here, but with a twist--it's done with all to see. A lot of people our hooked on themselves and would love the fact that they can share with the world what they did, oppose to via SMS where the transfer is private for all practical concerns.

I just realized that I'm penning this from a charitable standpoint oppose from a tipping service standpoint, but the process applies nonetheless.

It sure would be nice if all the transactions were continuously tallied. Imagine the impact once a million US dollars were sent via Twitter, all with virtually no fees. That would be awesome!

~Bruno K~
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2012, 10:53:06 AM

Have deposited into my BTCtip account, 2 confirmations and the balance grew up.

Sent 1 twit... Confirmation in minutes!

Sent another 7 hours ago (a few minutes after the first one)... no response.

Sent again 1 hour ago the twit with a little change in text (Twitter didn't let me just twit again the same)... no response.

Conclusion: #btctip command and search is not working properly (Twitter's search for # never has). What about this:

Mention + Command?

@btctip #btctip @exampleuser 0.10 BTC

And look at Mentions (which work better than search #), ignore @btctip mention in twit and run the command #btctip.

Could it be possible? Isn't that a better way? I can't imaging Erik Voorhees (or ME!) sending hundreds of #btctips and then all of his recipients not receiving their tips... Would be harmful for the BTCtip service.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:26:55 PM

Have deposited into my BTCtip account, 2 confirmations and the balance grew up.

Sent 1 twit... Confirmation in minutes!

Sent another 7 hours ago (a few minutes after the first one)... no response.

Sent again 1 hour ago the twit with a little change in text (Twitter didn't let me just twit again the same)... no response.

Conclusion: #btctip command and search is not working properly (Twitter's search for # never has). What about this:

Mention + Command?

@btctip #btctip @exampleuser 0.10 BTC

And look at Mentions (which work better than search #), ignore @btctip mention in twit and run the command #btctip.

Could it be possible? Isn't that a better way? I can't imaging Erik Voorhees (or ME!) sending hundreds of #btctips and then all of his recipients not receiving their tips... Would be harmful for the BTCtip service.

This is a good suggestion, though I've justed tested 10 tweets, and all 10 of them worked.

One thing that's important for forming commands that work is making sure they are not replies. Replies have a low success rate, as they often don't show up in Twitter's search results. I'm going to add a note in the www.btctip.com instructions stating that #btctip commands need to be normal status tweets rather than replies to work reliably.

I think using mentions instead of searching for hashtags has merit if it allows reply commands that work. That would be a significant improvement over the current protocol, as I think it's quite common to want to reply to a tweet with a tip.

If I were to change it, I think the best syntax would be:

@btctip @example_user 0.1 bitcoin

The #btctip can just be removed.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 04:00:46 PM

@btctip @example_user 0.1 bitcoin

This sounds good and maybe would work better.

As I said I tested the service with one very first twit and worked, but I won't use it again after sending a twit twice (with a +7 hours gap) and never getting the confirmation.

BTW what about using Tweetbot / Twitter for iPhone / Tweetdeck... I know this doesn't mean anything, but would it affect the way the twit is written? I checked the #btctip search results and the failed twit appeared there for hours but never received the @btctip confirmation.

amincd (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 04:34:20 PM

I don't know why it didn't work. I tried to replicate the bug but couldn't. Are you sure the tweet wasn't made in reply to another tweet? In any case, thanks for your report. Honest feedback can be very helpful. It might be necessary to switch over to using mentions.

BTW what about using Tweetbot / Twitter for iPhone / Tweetdeck... I know this doesn't mean anything, but would it affect the way the twit is written?

I don't think it affects the way the tweet is written.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 12:29:18 AM

Well a few hours ago I tried again cuz I feltl I should after you quick response here in the forum. It worked! The. Tried again with the same priblematic account which failed twice and WORKED TOO! Have just sent two more and have been confirmed in seconds...

Maybe all the problem was lag in the Twitter search results so that affected the crawl. But I can now confirm that BTCTIP is really fast to confirm. Let's see if recipients know what to do then Smiley

(Still thinking about the mentions method as a better way, no search results problems).

amincd (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 12:39:37 AM

Awesome! That's great. Thanks for giving it another chance Smiley

Also note every one, 'internet' and 'internets' have been added as aliases of the 'bitcent' unit, and 'woolong' and 'woolongs' added as aliases of the 'millibit' unit.

btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 11:51:25 PM

Is there any way to know when a tip has been claimed? Displaying that information on the "Recent activity" table would be awesome.

amincd (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 11:22:13 PM

I'm concerned about the privacy implications of notifying when a tip is claimed. It would mean a tipper knows when the person they tipped logged into the site for the first time. This has been the second request for this feature though, so I'll take that into account.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 11:53:15 PM

I'm concerned about the privacy implications of notifying when a tip is claimed. It would mean a tipper knows when the person they tipped logged into the site for the first time. This has been the second request for this feature though, so I'll take that into account.

The tip is eventually returned if it is not claimed, so that's one way of knowing.   I don't know how much time lapses before this occurs though ... pretty short (i.e., couple of days) if I remember correctly.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

amincd (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 10:05:24 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2012, 10:27:46 AM by amincd

Yea, the tip is returned after 5 days (it was originally 30 days), and one day before the expiry (so 4 days after the tip is sent), if the recipient has still not claimed the tip, the @btctip account posts a tweets telling the recipient the tip will be returned if they don't claim it, so this does reveal some of the recipient's activity information to the public.
amincd (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 09:21:48 AM

I'm pleased to announce a fix to a minor bug: you can now re-tweet other people's #btctip tweets without it triggering a transaction from your BTCTip account.

I'd like to thank Stephen Gornick for pushing me to look at the Twitter API and fix this.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:00:16 AM

Looks like the site is down.
symbot

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

Nobody accepts bitcoin on the moon.

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:27:24 PM

Does anybody know what happened to this service?  Have they absconded with our coins that were on btctip accounts?  I only had about 0.1 BTC there, but that's $5 these days!
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 01:32:34 AM

Have been down for days now. They even has competitors now http://bitcointipper.com/ (Don't like it, charge for each transfer you make in Twitter).

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: