Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:39:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The best selling FPGA board  (Read 10326 times)
Dhomochevsky (OP)

Activity: 242
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 12:59:47 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2012, 04:21:32 PM by Dhomochevsky

LAST UPDATED: March 21st

As the title says,what is, in your opinion, the best selling board? Icarus? X6500? Ztex? The BFL single is popular on the forums but afaik only a few have been shipped so far. Is there any way we can get some hard numbers on the models? Maybe buyers chiming in to tell us how many did they purchase... For example, so far I got 2 3 Icarus boards and plan to get another five thirty sometime in the next couple of months. Will update the first post with results if enough people contribute to the thread.

As of now, some (probably highly inaccurate) estimations are:

1st place: Icarus, with 260 boards shipped (all confirmed). FORUM THREAD BOARD DISCONTINUED, TO BE REPLACED IN MAY WITH NEW "LANCELOT" MODEL, SEE THREAD

2nd place: X6500, with over 100 boards shipped (100 confirmed, 100 more shipping). FORUM THREAD

3rd place: ZTex, with over 100 boards shipped (94 confirmed). FORUM THREAD

4th place: BFL Single, with around 50 units shipped (about 20 confirmed). FORUM THREAD

Caveat: These are not to be taken as "official figures". They are gathered from various buyers on the forums and most likely they only vaguely represent the actual sales.

Feel free to comment and correct me if you have better figures.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 07:15:58 PM

60 ztex 1.15x, pushing ~12.5 GH, 690 watts at the plug
Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

All right, since this thread takes off really slow, i gathered a few numbers and I decided to toss them here to get the ball rolling. Keep in mind, these are mostly guesstimates, so feel free to correct me and I'll update the figures.

We currently have 4 existing FPGA designs in the wild:

- Icarus

So far 2 batches of them are completely sold out, with the third one selling as we speak. The first batch had around 20 or 30 boards and the second had 30. That's 50-60 boards. The third batch is safe to say it has around or close to 100 boards - I've seen people on the forums mentioning they ordered bulk amounts of 30 or more boards; ngzhang mentioned at one point that "a package of 120 spartan chips" in customs, and that was only part of the shipment. So we have >150 boards sold so far for the Icarus design.

- X6500

These babies sold 2 revisions already and the third is slated to start shipment soon (if it hasn't already). My guess is their figures are pretty close to Icarus, maybe even a tie, judging by the popularity of the board on the forums (which is pretty much the same as Icarus). However, they went to market sooner than Icarus so it's quite likely they overtook them in sales. Again, if i'm spewing crap here feel free to call me out on it, I'm interested in real numbers. So, X6500 sold >150 boards too, maybe much more and they lead the sales.

- ZTex

Whatever the situation above, this board design definitely takes third place. It's a single chip board and garnered a little less interest than the first two. My hunches tell me it sold in or around the 100 boards mark, but I can be wrong. CAcoins mentions 60 boards, so bulk orders might inflate the number well over 100 units sold. I'm pretty sure though it takes only the third place when opposed by the likes of Icarus and X6500.

- BFL Single

This is definitely the LEAST sold design. It just came out of the laboratory and started shipping recently, people have been waiting for it for months. Only a few are working in the wild as of now (less than ten?) but if production ramps up, its low price per MH might put it head to head with the leading designs pretty soon.

So these are the four designs floating around right now. Did I forget anything? You feel the numbers are wrong? Then speak your mind.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 07:42:06 PM

I am sure BFL has SOLD a lot more than 10 boards.  They may not have delivered as many as the competitors but they certainly have SOLD a lot (at least anecdotally based on forum posts).
Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 07:50:02 PM

Yes, I figured they sold a whole bunch, but people were complaining about not receiving them/delivery taking a long time. I threw that figure there based on some extremely lax estimations of Singles in the wild. That's why I ask people to mention here some hard figures, so we can have something to base estimations on.
BlackPrapor

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 08:24:05 PM

If you really want to compare those models as which is the most selling, I think it'd be best to draw an excel chart of sales per month, for each model. Would be interesting. Grin

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
nyana

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

14x Ztex....175W@wall, AMD E350 Board.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4642/img2594me.jpg < Quick & Dirty since Dec 26,2011
Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 09:47:42 PM

If you really want to compare those models as which is the most selling, I think it'd be best to draw an excel chart of sales per month, for each model. Would be interesting. Grin

Yeah, sales figures per month would be nice to have, but right now we don't have exact sales figures overall... We could start charting from now on if people contribute data. Add new models as they appear, remove deprecated models as they fade away etc.

@nyana: That's a nice setup you have there, looks like there's room for 20 pieces there Cheesy. It appears we have at least 74 confirmed ztex boards.
rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:43:58 AM

I think this might be as easy as to ask the sources directly no? I mean they all have companies that pay taxes, that can be viewed by anyone, so hiding this data is useless.

BTW: 5x ZTEX

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 12:47:02 AM

I think this might be as easy as to ask the sources directly no? I mean they all have companies that pay taxes, that can be viewed by anyone, so hiding this data is useless.

Companies may have good reasons to play their cards close to the chest, for various reasons such as not wanting to give their competitors any information into lot sizes and price breaks etc.

So, typically, such information will not be disclosed.

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
Glasswalker

Activity: 407

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 12:58:27 AM

I can say the Bitcoin Syndicate just bought 17x Icarus, which have been shipped on the 11th and are en route now, if that helps your tally.

BattleDrome: Blockchain based Gladiator Combat for fun and profit!
http://www.battledrome.io/
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2012, 03:42:02 AM

My BFL Single arrived last Thursday

Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2012, 08:15:18 AM

Companies may have good reasons to play their cards close to the chest, for various reasons such as not wanting to give their competitors any information into lot sizes and price breaks etc.

So, typically, such information will not be disclosed.

This. Asking people details about their business might make things awkward for them. If they wish to disclose their exact numbers they can do so freely, but I don't presume to think they have an obligation to do so. Therefore we'll just gather whatever sparse and barely accurate info we can from the clients Tongue.

Now, I know that the first two batches of Icarus boards were around the 60 mark. I bought 2 from the third batch, Glasswalker confirms 17. I saw people mentioning bulk orders on the thread, one of them said something about 30 boards. So we have around 100 confirmed shipped. Will update the numbers.

Any X6500 buyers care to pitch in?
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:12:35 AM

Why on earth would the manufacturers reveal sales data on an anonymous message board?

This topic is ridiculous and somewhat childish.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 01:42:46 AM

As mentioned before, nobody is asking the manufacturers to release sales numbers. I just want a general tally of popularity on currently shipping FPGA designs.

Updated figures for BFL Single.
fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 09:03:10 AM

I'm not opposed to letting you know our sales figures. We've sold 100 X6500s so far, and have another 100 produced that will start shipping very soon.

rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

I'm not opposed to letting you know our sales figures. We've sold 100 X6500s so far, and have another 100 produced that will start shipping very soon.
Thumbs up!

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 03:21:17 PM

<<== Eating words.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Dhomochevsky (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 03:56:31 PM

Hey, that's nice! Thanks for the info! Will update the first post.
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 11:12:53 PM

My BFL Single arrived last Thursday

When did you order it, and was it exactly 4 to 6 weeks or more?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: