Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:30:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you Accept Komodo ICO conversion vs Reject Komodo ICO conversion and fund new dev team?
Accept - 145 (68.7%)
Reject - 66 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 211

Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 547 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCD is no more  (Read 1328428 times)
digiguy

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:37:38 PM

jl777 great work man im a fan off all your projects we need more devs like u

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jl777
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1109

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 09:43:51 PM

I am writing very rough darkpaper for Teleport
Are there any technical writers or graphic artists that can help?

James

I can do the graphics. this paper will help me with the script for sure.
I PM'ed you draft darkpaper

http://www.digitalcatallaxy.com/report2015.html
100+ page annual report for SuperNET
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 09:44:56 PM

jl777 great work man im a fan off all your projects we need more devs like u
Thanks!
I keep looking for more devs like me, still looking
Might have to resort to using cloning tech from future Smiley

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 09:58:28 PM

It seems that copies of my darkpaper draft is maybe affecting the market
For competitive reasons, I dont want to publish yet, but if any BTCD regular wants to see current draft, just PM me
This way you can read it for yourself

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 10:07:21 PM

For competitive reasons, I dont want to publish yet, but if any BTCD regular wants to see current draft, just PM me
OK, got a professional tech writer to make my draft much better, also possible graphic artist for making it easier to understand.
Also reached out to a math professor to hopefully make some precise mathematical models

Now, to debug the basic Teleport function!

I got 95% code complete before exhaustion, but this is just the Teleport in isolation. telepods, transporter, etc.

So still long ways to go, however I still stick to my 2 week estimate

James

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:19:03 PM

OK, got a professional tech writer to make my draft much better, also possible graphic artist for making it easier to understand.
Also reached out to a math professor to hopefully make some precise mathematical models

I got 95% code complete before exhaustion, but this is just the Teleport in isolation. telepods, transporter, etc.

James

Nice updates and hard work you guys are doing. Looking forward to the up coming wallet and improvements.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 11:32:29 PM

James

Nice updates and hard work you guys are doing. Looking forward to the up coming wallet and improvements.
We need a QT GUI dev to add the Teleport buttons. Without QT dev, the first Teleport wallet will be command line.
Maybe we can have a localhost webpage though

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 11:54:42 PM

After writing draft darkpaper today, I realize that it is best to use standard tx amounts

To avoid pesky fractions, I am thinking to make 1 BTCD the smallest increment that can be Teleported
This can always be changed later as BTCD grows in value

To cover txfee erosion of telepods, we need to setup a faucet for special 0.1 BTC telepods, that will be good for quite a few tx

So, I think telepods of the following denominations would be enough:
1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000

Though a sequence like:
1, 3, 9, 27, 81, 243, 749 might allow for less telepods to match up to totals. Not sure and no time to run simulations to find the optimal spanning set.

These are just the individual denominations, any user started Teleport will automatically split things up, so I guess I am just talking to myself about this. At least it makes it clearer in my mind.

I will also default things to have approx 10 minute time to complete Teleport. Actual time will be randomized to reduce correlations. The reason is that the faster you go, the more information is leaked. Not much, but I think it is better to limit any leakage of info and 10 minutes is still one BTC block, so we lose nothing in speed. For people that are in no hurry and want the most privacy, they could set the timeframe higher like hourly or even daily. Allowing faster should only be allowed after overall Teleport activity is big enough. Maybe best is to have an overall monitoring of activity levels and only allow teleports after a threshold is achieved. Or simpler is to make updates to adapt to the existing activity levels.

Sorry to ramble, these are very esoteric but potentially critical issues and it helps me to think through when I write it

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:03:13 AM

By any chance, anybody able to do code review? It is in C and I think for any privacy solution it is important to get external honest feedback. This will allow to fix any weaknesses in the algos (if there are any)

Also, it would be good to have it verified that the C code matches the darkpaper

I want to be very thorough about all this as we are talking about big responsibility and while I am usually right, I do make occasional mistakes, so best to make sure I didnt make one in any place important! (or anywhere at all)

I think anybody to review the code should get compensated and in a currency other than BTCD. That way if they find a flaw, they wont care about disclosing, otherwise they might not tell what they find for fear of hurting their payment. All this will probably take longer than two weeks, but in my experience it takes a long time to arrange for things like this, so the sooner we start, the better.

James

P.S. Notice how open this process is? This is critical for any anon tech! Avoid any anon crypto (or any crypto) that is not open with how it actually works!!

paulthetafy

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:08:20 AM

By any chance, anybody able to do code review? It is in C and I think for any privacy solution it is important to get external honest feedback. This will allow to fix any weaknesses in the algos (if there are any)

Also, it would be good to have it verified that the C code matches the darkpaper

I want to be very thorough about all this as we are talking about big responsibility and while I am usually right, I do make occasional mistakes, so best to make sure I didnt make one in any place important! (or anywhere at all)

I think anybody to review the code should get compensated and in a currency other than BTCD. That way if they find a flaw, they wont care about disclosing, otherwise they might not tell what they find for fear of hurting their payment. All this will probably take longer than two weeks, but in my experience it takes a long time to arrange for things like this, so the sooner we start, the better.

James

P.S. Notice how open this process is? This is critical for any anon tech! Avoid any anon crypto (or any crypto) that is not open with how it actually works!!

I think it is important for potential code reviewers to disclose their credentials and justify why they are qualified to perform a code review of this nature.  I'm a C/C++ dev with 15 years experience but I doubt I am smart enough to understand the code that James is writing Smiley  So I won't apply. 
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 01:23:41 AM

James

I think it is important for potential code reviewers to disclose their credentials and justify why they are qualified to perform a code review of this nature.  I'm a C/C++ dev with 15 years experience but I doubt I am smart enough to understand the code that James is writing Smiley  So I won't apply. 
I try to write simple C code!
Please reconsider. Any one elses eyes on this is better than just me. I will send you draft dark paper and then once you understand what I am trying to implement, you can start looking at the code. the privacyServer stuff is already in the:
https://github.com/jl777/pNXT/blob/master/NXTservices/orders.h file, sendmessage is the key function and also the packets.h file that does most of the onion stuff.

If you cant understand my code, then maybe it is too complicated and that leads to bugs.
Any questions, you can just post here. We need this to be solid and the code is out there for the bad guys to look at (and they probably are!) so we need to do our best to find any flaws.

OK?

James

clovis A.
Legendary

Activity: 1206

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 01:43:28 AM

When do you plan on publishing?

|
|
s i a
|
|
|
|
|
Cloud storage is about to change
                          Are you ready?
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 02:05:08 AM

Darkpaper with nice graphics
Code review(s) to verify source code matches darkpaper
University professors to verify math in Darkpaper

->

Top 10 coinmarketcap and not just on pump, but as a long time resident!

This is most important thing we can do for BTCD

If anybody knows college professors we can hire, lets do it. We also need an easy to understand explanation so Teleport is not seen as mysterious magic, but as verified (multiple ways) method to achieve privacy. So I see a fully detailed black paper with university professor confirmation of important assumptions and an overview like https://cryptonote.org/inside/ that is accessible to a lot more people

I have spent last 6 months on this problem, for me that is a long time for one problem to stay unsolved. I believe Teleport solution is close to what is possible to be achieved, while also not bloating blockchain and much reduced risk of crypto algos being solved by Quantum Computers from the future. By combining practical precautions with state of the art encryption and rather clever (if I say so myself) approach to drastically minimize attack vectors, Teleport represents a real world solution available in the near term.

But that is just my rambling. Until we get independent unbiased smart guys to confirm this, maybe I have missed some things?

What bothers me is that due to massive rise in DRK, there are so many coins out there trying just catch a pump. Some have some very fancy marketing materials, maybe some actually have viable solutions against http://people.csail.mit.edu/spillai/data/papers/bitcoin-transaction-graph-analysis.pdf
I am not making fancy website but rather making practical solution to maximize privacy in a hostile environment.

Now those are some pretty sophisticated attacks. I spend many months thinking about privacy against such things. My feeling is that it is important not to have a permanent record. Remember the blockchain is forever, so if not this year, in 5 years when computers are much faster, new techniques become available to deanonymize. So any "solution" where everything is on the blockchain is forever exposed to the future attackers with future computers and future analysis techniques.

Any anon coin that is closed source for any reason is a danger. A danger to anybody that uses it and a danger to anybody's finances to anybody that buys it. It takes more than one day to properly assess anon tech. So, just because one day the source is revealed, that doesnt change much, until it is reviewed and approved by competent people.

https://github.com/jl777/pNXT is my work in progress, usually only a day or two behind the latest version.

Now, I dont want to say that coinjoin tech is worthless, it is certainly better than nothing, but lets all agree that anything that leaves a permanent trail is at best "personal level" privacy. Good for not letting Aunt Bertha know how much money you have, but certainly not "corporate level" privacy. Where millions of dollars are at stake and you cannot assume they wont just allocate a few supercomputers to unravel the mixing. Read the PDF file link if you doubt this.

Cryptonote tech is much better. It has been open source and the ring signatures is a method I approve of. I even based pNXTd on Boolberry. However, cryptonote tech is a fixed level of privacy. You cant really increase the number of signature in the ring dramatically. Maybe 10, but 100? 1000? Not practical, since the blockchain is already noticeably gigantic for XMR and after such a short time without that much use. What will happen if tens of thousands of people use it? Blockchain meltdown? Not sure, so I had to develop something without any blockchain bloat.

Then there is the rumored zerocash (improvement on zerocoin), but this is by academics and is the software field tested? Matt Green, a guy much smarter than me, but maybe I write more C code that he does? So, there are some issues of code stability for totally new code and then the zero knowlege proofs method is a brilliant way to solve the privacy and I cant wait to see the source code. Maybe I assimilate zerocash into BTCD? In any case, without privacyServers, the weakest link is not the anon algo, but simply IP correlation leakage. For those who jump up and say "Tor" http://www.macgasm.net/2014/07/30/tor-network-breached-ip-isnt-safe-may-think/
Tor is an automatic red flag, just using it and you attract attention. Not to mention the large effort being made to crack it. Also, I always thought of the zerocoin zeroknowledge technique as a way to teleport funds and in a way this has been one of my goals, to achieve this de-linkage of funds transfer, while still having a blockchain to verify funds and prevent double-spending.

Privacy is not just about the perfect anon algorithm, it needs to be an entire system designed from the ground up for privacy, like privacyServers! Also, think about this, Teleport is the only privacy solution that can be applied to other coins. If you still like DRK for some reason, you can simply Teleport it and gain the benefits of both. Or Teleport XMR or BBR, etc. Regardless of who "wins" the anon race, BTCD will be there, either as the outright winner or making other top coins more private. Can any other solution make bitcoin itself more private?

Not that I know of.

BTCD in Top 10 Coinmarketcap is what I predicted after $1 million marketcap

Now you know why. Free Teleporting for BTCD itself and revenue sharing from the fees charged for teleporting other coins (and also some revenue sharing from InstantDEX and also tradebots and also Privatebet and also ...)

James

jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 02:16:29 AM

When do you plan on publishing?
Probably in about a week will have decent draft, but not sure about the graphics or external analysis. Then again, maybe incremental release is the way to go?

I guess at the latest, when the software is released, regardless of the condition it is in. The sooner the info gets out there, the sooner it will be peer reviewed. Anybody that wants draft copies can obtain it by PM

James

nrg_wolf
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:03:54 AM

it would appear that BTCDpool has not payed out in several days..... since the 29th.... where the heck are my 2.5 days worth of mineing....
gitbknowsall

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:48:02 AM

it would appear that BTCDpool has not payed out in several days..... since the 29th.... where the heck are my 2.5 days worth of mineing....

Xpool is by far the best. Just switch there.
nrg_wolf
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 03:55:07 AM

i have, just pissed i wasted 2.5 days worth of time to get jack sh*t out of it.
gitbknowsall

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:05:39 AM

i have, just pissed i wasted 2.5 days worth of time to get jack sh*t out of it.

I know the feeling too well lol, I stopped mining in the multipool and just mine btc and buy btcd. But all my scrypt is on xpool super happy with the payments so far.
paulthetafy

Activity: 820

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 04:06:57 AM

James

Please reconsider. Any one elses eyes on this is better than just me. I will send you draft dark paper and then once you understand what I am trying to implement, you can start looking at the code. the privacyServer stuff is already in the:
https://github.com/jl777/pNXT/blob/master/NXTservices/orders.h file, sendmessage is the key function and also the packets.h file that does most of the onion stuff.

If you cant understand my code, then maybe it is too complicated and that leads to bugs.
Any questions, you can just post here. We need this to be solid and the code is out there for the bad guys to look at (and they probably are!) so we need to do our best to find any flaws.

OK?

James

Hi James,

At a macro level the (limited) code I've looked at so far is easy enough to understand.  What's difficult - and what I think is beyond my comprehension - is familiarizing myself enough with the entire codebase and overall design in order to relate it to the dark paper with any degree of certainty.  This will take time, and I have to be honest that I just don't have enough time to devote to it.  So I'll have to decline and hope that someone with more brain capacity and time than me can step up.

I did read the draft darkpaper though, and that reads well, good job.  Only thing you might consider is an executive summary, for the lazy/layman...

Paul
jl777
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 04:50:30 AM

James

OK?

James

Hi James,

At a macro level the (limited) code I've looked at so far is easy enough to understand.  What's difficult - and what I think is beyond my comprehension - is familiarizing myself enough with the entire codebase and overall design in order to relate it to the dark paper with any degree of certainty.  This will take time, and I have to be honest that I just don't have enough time to devote to it.  So I'll have to decline and hope that someone with more brain capacity and time than me can step up.

I did read the draft darkpaper though, and that reads well, good job.  Only thing you might consider is an executive summary, for the lazy/layman...

Paul
Its only 40000 lines of code Smiley

How about this for executive summary:

BTCD to 'da moon!

Did I do that right?

James

Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 547 »
  Print  

Jump to: