Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Marketing Agency Uses Homeless As Wi-Fi Hotspots  (Read 4779 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 02:36:06 AM

Homeless in America Solved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States
The United States government determined that somewhere between 200,000 and 500,000 Americans were then homeless.

http://hirr.hartsem.edu/research/fastfacts/fast_facts.html#numcong
Hartford Institute estimates there are roughly 335,000 religious congregations in the United States.

I've done the math so you don't have to. If every US religious organization took in only 2 (max) homeless people, this issue would be solved in a week.

I now ask: Who's working on this?

~Bruno~
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nim

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 03:05:18 AM

The Verge had a very good take on this:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2866786/homeless-hotspots-sxsw-bbh-smartest-dumbest-idea

And no, I don't think Bitcoin should be advertised with homeless people.
Chomp

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 03:06:27 AM

Why does this job need to be given only to homeless people? If they are paid less than a normal worker would be (and they are, since they aren't paid anything at all), I'd say this is profiteering off the poor.

Because they have the least chance to make money.

(Except the ones in Laguna Beach, CA which can make upwords of $100 a day just begging to tourists, which they throw away on alcohol nightly. The $100, not the tourists.)

Many moons ago, when I use to deliver pizza to a beach island resort on the east coast, I met a bum at a gas station an gave him some change. Months later I did a pizza run to beachfront home ($400-800k area) and met the same bum. He invited me in as he when to get money. All I see are piles of bags and rolls of change from the door to the kitchen and to the living room. He paid me in change.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 03:37:44 AM

The Verge had a very good take on this:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/13/2866786/homeless-hotspots-sxsw-bbh-smartest-dumbest-idea

And no, I don't think Bitcoin should be advertised with homeless people.

I just about 1,000% agree with you that Bitcoin should not be advertised via the homeless. That said, it's now a given that advertisers do recognize a POV by using (not a negative connotation) the homeless. I do advocate though that Bitcoin should somehow take part in this lucrative, previously untapped resource.

~Bruno~
hannna

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

This is really intriguing! About two years ago, a questionable test was run at Austin, Texas' South by Southwest festival last year, called “Homeless Hotspots.” A marketing business gave a number of homeless people mobile wireless hotspots, which people could use for a recommended donation and compensated them for doing it. It brought on controversy as people cried “exploitation,” but 11 of 13 participants were able to get off the roads with the money it made.Do you think it is a form of exploitation or are these people trying to help the homeless and increase awareness?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 10:24:51 AM

This is really intriguing! About two years ago, a questionable test was run at Austin, Texas' South by Southwest festival last year, called “Homeless Hotspots.” A marketing business gave a number of homeless people mobile wireless hotspots, which people could use for a recommended donation and compensated them for doing it. It brought on controversy as people cried “exploitation,” but 11 of 13 participants were able to get off the roads with the money it made.Do you think it is a form of exploitation or are these people trying to help the homeless and increase awareness?

Clever little bastard, aren't you, hanna?

I see you've done the same over here: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/off-topic/4630-who-lives-florida.html#post66095

Via Google, it looks like you travel East to West and West to East, jetsetting the globe one website at a time. Do you ever get tired?
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 12:57:22 PM

Just in case nobody noticed, this topic is 2 years old.

Time to make better the concept now. How about giving a homeless $5 for being a free WiFi hotspot for a day? He will just have to spend a day in a public place.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2014, 01:14:23 PM

Create a mobile Bitcoin wifi app that you can put on a cheap phone.

Charge bitcoins for wireless access and anyone, including the homeless can make money as a node.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: