Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:49:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032126 times)
zanzibar

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:13:15 PM

It would be a no-brainer to just wait a quarter or two for sidechains then commission Blockstream to help with design.  Alt's are history though I'm sure there will still be a few lingering dead-ender scams.  Any alt with at least semi-pure motives would be delighted to switch to a sidechain backing.

I can see all Alt's pegging to BTC via sidechains, allow x-chain transactions, could be a great thing (despite the downfalls which cypher has eluded to). 

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:20:06 PM

It would be a no-brainer to just wait a quarter or two for sidechains then commission Blockstream to help with design.  Alt's are history though I'm sure there will still be a few lingering dead-ender scams.  Any alt with at least semi-pure motives would be delighted to switch to a sidechain backing.

I can see all Alt's pegging to BTC via sidechains, allow x-chain transactions, could be a great thing (despite the downfalls which cypher has eluded to). 

the only great thing about it is that the alts will be allowed to siphon all the value out of the Bitcoin MC.  great for alt devs and investors, not for Bitcoin holders.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:22:38 PM

the great sucking sound of the huge black hole of shit continues apace:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:26:23 PM

i thought nat gas was the next great bull mkt putting the US on top of the energy pyramid?

zanzibar

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:28:03 PM

the only great thing about it is that the alts will be allowed to siphon all the value out of the Bitcoin MC.  great for alt devs and investors, not for Bitcoin holders.

I don't necessarily agree, I believe Bitcoin will remain king, people will treat Bitcoin as the "central bank", where they hold their savings and assets, plus it will bring incredible functionality to Bitcoin.  Think about a killer sidechain feature that brings in 1 million new users, that is a good thing.  We are far too small of a user base to think about limiting options, and I believe sidechains could bring in a lot of new people, which is what we need.  

I know it's a really tired argument and I agree with a lot of things you say, not trying to ignite another debate.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:28:17 PM

tbh, i think the new wave of alt coins wouldnt even want to be pegged to btc.. the new 2.0 ones see btc as an archaic relic in the crypto currency space. why tie a lambo to a horse? just doesnt make sense for the few(very few) that actually have a bright future.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
zanzibar

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:41:08 PM

tbh, i think the new wave of alt coins wouldnt even want to be pegged to btc.. the new 2.0 ones see btc as an archaic relic in the crypto currency space. why tie a lambo to a horse? just doesnt make sense for the few(very few) that actually have a bright future.

This way of thinking will lead to the end of Alts.  BTC is the entry for all new users, then they discover alts, etc..  BTC is attracting 99% of real world investment money.  If you pegged an Alt to BTC, you just increased your user base by several million.  People looks at Alts as a way to make more BTC, plain and simple.
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:44:28 PM

This way of thinking will lead to the end of Alts.  BTC is the entry for all new users, then they discover alts, etc..  BTC is attracting 99% of real world investment money.  If you pegged an Alt to BTC, you just increased your user base by several million.  People looks at Alts as a way to make more BTC, plain and simple.

thats how it is now. it may not be like that 5 years from now. its only a matter of time before more people start to see that bitcoin is outdated in terms of cryptocurrency technology. you and many other bitcoiners might not see that yet, but eventually more and more will. of course it wont happen over night but it will happen.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:50:47 PM

thats how it is now. it may not be like that 5 years from now. its only a matter of time before more people start to see that bitcoin is outdated in terms of cryptocurrency technology. you and many other bitcoiners might not see that yet, but eventually more and more will. of course it wont happen over night but it will happen.

outdated how exactly?

what crypto out there has proven to be better, not just on paper?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
zanzibar

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 04:52:29 PM

So why not Peg to the blockchain so people can easily transition to your alt?  Right now your on an island with a couple hundred other people. 
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 05:38:42 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 05:45:38 AM by Peter R

This way of thinking will lead to the end of Alts.  BTC is the entry for all new users, then they discover alts, etc..  BTC is attracting 99% of real world investment money.  If you pegged an Alt to BTC, you just increased your user base by several million.  People looks at Alts as a way to make more BTC, plain and simple.

Remember that "Bitcoin" is two things: it's a protocol (technology) and it's a ledger (distribution of wealth across a user base).  Even if you subscribe to the thesis that "bitcoin is outdated in terms of cryptocurrency technology" and will eventually be replaced (which I don't), you still haven't provided an argument that Bitcoin the ledger will be replaced at the same time.  Given the strong lock-in effects associated with networks, I think a stronger argument can be made that bitcoin holders would retain their wealth should a genuinely superior cryptocurrency technology become available.  This could be accomplished using sidechains or spinoffs.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 06:14:19 PM

This way of thinking will lead to the end of Alts.  BTC is the entry for all new users, then they discover alts, etc..  BTC is attracting 99% of real world investment money.  If you pegged an Alt to BTC, you just increased your user base by several million.  People looks at Alts as a way to make more BTC, plain and simple.

Remember that "Bitcoin" is two things: it's a protocol (technology) and it's a ledger (distribution of wealth across a user base).  Even if you subscribe to the thesis that "bitcoin is outdated in terms of cryptocurrency technology" and will eventually be replaced (which I don't), you still haven't provided an argument that Bitcoin the ledger will be replaced at the same time.  Given the strong lock-in effects associated with networks, I think a stronger argument can be made that bitcoin holders would retain their wealth should a genuinely superior cryptocurrency technology become available.  This could be accomplished using sidechains or spinoffs.  

Exactly.

It is my impression that the distribution of bitcoins over the years was such a unique, organic process that it cannot be replicated by whatever new crypto comes along.

The "fairness" of the distribution being such a key aspect to the establishement of any currency/money, the only chance for a new protocol to be adopted is if it recognizes Bitcoin's current ledger as the only equitable option and recognizes each owners' share of THE ledger

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:03:55 PM

So why not Peg to the blockchain so people can easily transition to your alt?  Right now your on an island with a couple hundred other people

you apparently seem to be on the same island Cheesy

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 07:38:15 PM

See. I told you they were going to start asking:

“What is the red line in Germany that nobody wants to see? The word ‘haircut.’ Nobody wants to see debt forgiveness.” 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-28/greece-wants-money-from-its-much-poorer-neighbors

Creditors are more than willing to extend debt to sovereigns in the belief that they will always tax their citizens if it comes down to i.  They will never forgive debt unless it's for themselves or are forced. 
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:06:11 PM

"most people investing in cryptocurrencies are going to lose money" -  cypherdoc

http://www.coindesk.com/research-11-million-lost-bitcoin-scams-since-2009/
kodtycoon
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:23:47 PM

"most people investing in cryptocurrencies are going to lose money" -  cypherdoc

http://www.coindesk.com/research-11-million-lost-bitcoin-scams-since-2009/

you know its a very self important thing to do, to quote yourself. Cheesy let alone quote the same lines multiple times. that line isnt even original.. its been said about the stock market for yonks.. changing one word doesnt make it original. Smiley

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:28:14 PM

i thought nat gas was the next great bull mkt putting the US on top of the energy pyramid?

Aren't these mutually exclusive?  US gets "on top of the energy pyramid" by supplying incredibly cheap nat gas, not by providing expensive product.
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 08:54:30 PM

its only a matter of time before more people start to see that bitcoin is outdated in terms of cryptocurrency technology.

you confuse money with gadgets. most of us would not be here if we thought for a moment bitcoin was some kind of tech fad.

zanzibar

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:08:33 PM

So why not Peg to the blockchain so people can easily transition to your alt?  Right now your on an island with a couple hundred other people
you apparently seem to be on the same island Cheesy

Good rebuttal.  Roll Eyes  I'll give you a little piece of advice since you are obviously jr.  If you want to attract users for NEM, don't go around talking about how other protocols are inferior. The people here have a lot more crypto knowledge than you.  They've seen hundreds of alts come and go.  Be more welcoming to the crypto community, ask people to try NEM beta, tell them it's advantages without talking about others' disadvantages.  It's easy for me to say the creator of NEM, UtopianFuture, had hundreds of sock puppets and thus the whole premise of "fair distribution" is bullshit.  You are going to hear that a lot. 
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 30, 2015, 09:46:14 PM

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/randomwalker/nine-awesome-bitcoin-projects-at-princeton/

the best and brightest are doing their final projects on bitcoin extensions, apps, overlay protocols (this reminds me exactly of stanford/cisco in 1990 and I wonder how long until we get bitcoin router blue-boxes ... explain to me again how the internet is just a fad?

Pages: « 1 ... 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 [1041] 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: