Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:48:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:24:37 PM

what's striking to me using the ignore is just how many pages and pages of posts TPTB-dick has been spamming to derail substantive and meaningful discussion.  there is no doubt he has an alternative motive which is anti-Bitcoin.

I don't share other people's commitment to unmoderated, uncensored discussions... they have their place, but allowing every thread to let in trolls as a principle of free speech is like letting strangers into your house (instead of invited guests) based on the right to free assembly.

Which is a long way of saying... cypherdoc, you should start a "Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP. [moderated]" thread. All of the intelligent people will migrate over, and then you can just kick out the trolls.

I personally make it a point to never comment on any moderated thread if I notice that status.

I use moderation as a gauge of credibility.  Very few people moderate 'their' thread, and it seems to be people who tend to be on an opposite side as me.  Sometimes it is the reverse though.  I am always disappointed to see this.  There are some people who are at least trolls and possibly shills who are on MY side of the 1MB argument.  I enjoy their work often enough, but don't find them very credible.  When they moderate a troll post it quashes whatever credibility is left.

Moderation of a thread is for weak-ass losers IMHO.  I might as well use reddit or some similar bullshit platform if censorship appealed to me.  I respect the degree of freedom that theymos employs in operating this platform and his mods very rarely censor except in the most extreme situations (and I think they are shit-caned when they are caught acting otherwise.)  I'm glad that theymos does offer the ability for people to moderate because it is one more tool to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

Actually, I may suggest on the meta board that more attention is called out to moderated threads.  Perhaps a more visible tag in the subject.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:24:51 PM

interesting quote from the Chinese mine:

"Their verdict was: "Absolutely nothing to see. The local Tibetans make sure everything is overpriced.""

point being, all the devs who look down on the masses as stupid & irrational as justification for authoritarian practices regarding decisions in Bitcoin are severely underestimating the power of money to motivate ppl to understand the economics of value transaction.  i see this everywhere in the Bitcoin community and it's an attitude that will cost those who employ that attitude in many ways more than just in their pocketbooks.

http://www.coindesk.com/my-life-inside-a-remote-chinese-bitcoin-mine/

Good. These things are not necessary for bitcoin proliferation: Education, economic or otherwise, gigabit internet, high end phones, savings. It is not those things that have kept the people of North Korea, Eritrea, Venezuela or Haiti back, it is nonfreedom, or governments. The only thing that is necessary for people to flourish, is hunger, or swung positively, lust for life.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:27:32 PM

sell in May and go away.

oops, it's June?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:40:10 PM

"Their verdict was: "Absolutely nothing to see. The local Tibetans make sure everything is overpriced.""

point being, all the devs who look down on the masses as stupid & irrational as justification for authoritarian practices regarding decisions in Bitcoin are severely underestimating the power of money to motivate ppl to understand the economics of value transaction.  i see this everywhere in the Bitcoin community and it's an attitude that will cost those who employ that attitude in many ways more than just in their pocketbooks.

Good. These things are not necessary for bitcoin proliferation: Education, economic or otherwise, gigabit internet, high end phones, savings. It is not those things that have kept the people of North Korea, Eritrea, Venezuela or Haiti back, it is nonfreedom, or governments. The only thing that is necessary for people to flourish, is hunger, or swung positively, lust for life.

and it will be those ppl who will most resist gvt censorship of Bitcoin.  but only if they are given a chance to use it reliably & cheaply.  we should all want to give it to them, not out of altruism, but out of our own greed; as in greater security of our coins and in creating digital gold.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 05:58:43 PM

I use moderation as a gauge of credibility.
- - 
Moderation of a thread is for weak-ass losers IMHO.
- -
censorship

Every reasonably advanced thread is indistinguishable from magic, and therefore attracts non-intelligence and trolls like a honeypot. Letting them destroy the vestiges of readable discussion that might once have existed, is your holy commission.  Huh

Bet you don't even have a thread as you seem not to care about your readers even that much  Embarrassed Tongue

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:04:42 PM

and it will be those ppl who will most resist gvt censorship of Bitcoin.  but only if they are given a chance to use it reliably & cheaply.  we should all want to give it to them, not out of altruism, but out of our own greed; as in greater security of our coins and in creating digital gold.

another way to look at this is that are we (meaning ALL of us in the community) really prepared to be the real resistance fighters in this war on USD hegemony?  i'll admit right here that i am not.  i live here in the US, have a family to take care of, and i provide a valuable service to my community.  i am not prepared to sacrifice this.  but dollars to donuts we'll have idiots like LukeJr, marcus, iCE, and MPEX stepping up and claiming they would gladly be those resistance fighters. c'mon, do you really think they would not roll over in an instant to give up Bitcoin if jail time threatened?  no way.  they are loud mouth bombastic blowhards.

the real resistance fighters are the ones mentioned above.  those desperate enough, hungry enough, willing to steal, hawk, crawl down holes, or fight just to get the next meal.  we need to get Bitcoin into their hands as quickly as possible.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:12:44 PM

- -  
- -
censorship

Every reasonably advanced thread is indistinguishable from magic, and therefore attracts non-intelligence and trolls like a honeypot. Letting them destroy the vestiges of readable discussion that might once have existed, is your holy commission.  Huh

Bet you don't even have a thread as you seem not to care about your readers even that much  Embarrassed Tongue

i have to agree with tvbcof on this one (whoa!).

we've had disagreement about info you published yourself in one of your moderated threads about me that was incorrect and that you weren't willing to correct at first.  watching others get info deleted by you on request was quite frustrating for me.  i definitely got the sense that there was an asymmetry of power that a moderator has when being able to censor the info only he deems necessary.  i don't think it's fair especially when it got down to me feeling as if i had to beg.  sure, someone is always posting incorrect info about me but i suck it up and try to debate for the truth.  

to be fair, even the moderators around here, like BadBear, are notorious for censoring what they don't like.  unlike you, those guys really piss me off b/c oftentimes it was out of retribution.  overall, i'd never create a moderated thread.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:13:29 PM

- - 
- -
censorship

Every reasonably advanced thread is indistinguishable from magic, and therefore attracts non-intelligence and trolls like a honeypot. Letting them destroy the vestiges of readable discussion that might once have existed, is your holy commission.  Huh

Bet you don't even have a thread as you seem not to care about your readers even that much  Embarrassed Tongue

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have much difficulty identifying bozos and simply ignoring their stuff in-line without the help of censorship or ignore lists.  Indeed, skimming their stuff sometimes to keep tabs on the various sides of an argument.  Certain people (e.g., justusranvier and cypherdoc) command a reasonably sized flock because they have chosen a particular angle and tuned their techniques appropriately.  Skimming some of their stuff can shed some light on the disposition of a reasonable number of followers in the ecosystem and it can be done with efficiency.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:16:48 PM

- - 
- -
censorship

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have much difficulty identifying bozos and simply ignoring their stuff in-line without the help of censorship or ignore lists.  Indeed, skimming their stuff sometimes to keep tabs on the various sides of an argument.  Certain people (e.g., justusranvier and cypherdoc) command a reasonably sized flock because they have chosen a particular angle and tuned their techniques appropriately.  Skimming some of their stuff can shed some light on the disposition of a reasonable number of followers in the ecosystem and it can be done with efficiency.

you know you're in that flock, you know. Kiss
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:20:08 PM

Certain people (e.g., justusranvier and cypherdoc) command a reasonably sized flock because they have chosen a particular angle and tuned their techniques appropriately. ...

I rarely discard a hypothesis and don't in this case.  I see very limited evidence for the assertion however.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:28:42 PM

Certain people (e.g., justusranvier and cypherdoc) command a reasonably sized flock because they have chosen a particular angle and tuned their techniques appropriately. ...

I rarely discard a hypothesis and don't in this case.  I see very limited evidence for the assertion however.

merely for the opportunity to troll me would be one reason.  but i suspect that doesn't explain it all.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:35:30 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2015, 07:00:16 PM by Erdogan

Here is what I think could be transaction pricing in bitcoin:

Scenario:
Current max transactions per day * 1000
Existing card companies integrating bitcoin as another currency.

In short, the existing card companies have a cost of about a dollar per transaction, a little less for country specific cards. Extra cost for single or double currency conversion. Clearing time is weeks to months.

Since some qualities of blockchain transactions are better, a price of 10 dollars per blockchain transaction could end up as a balance (but see below). We will have large transactions on the blockchain, plus smaller transactions where the payment providers can not supply a high quality service.

The interesting point is that this will change the payment providers also. It is noteworthy that the clearing of payment provider transactions are not done directly, but via the bank system which is a payment system by itself, that means it is a two tier clearing, involving a multitude of banks. So clearing of bitcoin transactions in the payment system can be more direct and therefore cheaper, pushing down the price of card transactions. If the payment providers can do it cheaper, they can take pressure away from the blockchain, thus reducing the cost of blockchain transactions also.

Finally, since clearing in the bitcoin payment provider realm can be done quickly and cheaply on the blockchain, the structure of those providers can change from being global payment providers to being national companies with less rigid agreements with overseas companies. This will increase competition and take down cost.

Summa summarum; even with blockchain constraints, we can have a large share of all payments denoted in bitcoin. That is not a reason to artificially constrain the blockchain, of course. The more transactions made possible on the blockchain, the better the overall system will be.

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:31:56 PM

- - 
- -
censorship

on reflection cyphor would have probably been band from may other threads,  Cheesy

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:35:11 PM

- -  
- -
censorship

Every reasonably advanced thread is indistinguishable from magic, and therefore attracts non-intelligence and trolls like a honeypot. Letting them destroy the vestiges of readable discussion that might once have existed, is your holy commission.  Huh

Bet you don't even have a thread as you seem not to care about your readers even that much  Embarrassed Tongue

on reflection cyphor would have probably been band from may other threads,  Cheesy

actually, no.  i'm very respectful for the most part in other threads.  it's here, where i have a platform that has become quite popular that encourages all the trolls who dislike my message to come in here and provoke me for a variety of reasons.  yes, provoke.  that's usually when i go off.  but that's my view of it though.
79b79aa8d5047da6d3XX

Activity: 660
Merit: 101

Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:37:32 PM

the real question is why that internal accounting wouldn't continue to be more efficient and even more secure using a traditional SQL database?  are they really having any internal accounting fraud to incentive them to set up an entirely foreign means of accounting that could be subject to unknown types of hacks from the outside or even inside?  what drives security of this model?  can't be POW.  w/o POW why couldn't it be gamed?

This is a good question.  I will ask around.  We need to first divide the problem into 2 systems:

1. Internal accounting for an external client.  Lawyers and many government sponsored projects need to carefully account for their time, for example.  The ability to track all the coins backwards lets you do that in a way that can't be retroactively "massaged"

2. Straight internal accounting.

I can make some guesses right now though... the point of keeping the actual $ away from the internal txns is to eliminate internal fraud.  However, there can be lots of other non-fraud issues -- like why is it always such a shocker when projects go over budget?  Examination of spending on an internal blockchain can show these trends before the annual monster audit.

In terms of security, there are lots of choices.  The most likely candidate would be where everyone runs SPV wallets, and the finance department runs a few trusted miner nodes.  We don't need to solve trustless consensus for this application -- the finance dept is not going to be 51%ing their own network because no mining reward, and blacklisting addresses is essentially a feature (if someone gets fired their CoCoin is automatically reaped for example).  What they really need is a database with immutable per-record signatures tied to company employees.    

Difficulty is "nice to have" because it makes it very hard in practice to rewrite the blockchain with a fake one starting from six months ago (say).  But even if the finance dept bought 100x its baseline mining capacity to do some massive 6 month ago fork of the blockchain to a completely fraudulent record, it would take massive company-wide participation in the fraud since everyone would have to surrender their private keys.

... or the finance department could outsource mining to the Bitcoin network . . .  internal and external accounting come for free ...

In other words, the advantage of having an in-house blockchain remains unclear  (beyond than what the article says, i.e., to get employees used to innovative open source software).

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:41:47 PM

oh please come back TPTB_need_war, please come back!  it's been almost 12h and you are nowhere to be seen?

was i right?  were you here just to troll little ol' cypherdoc with all your bullshit, obfuscation, hubris, and narcissism?  that would be quite flattering.  it couldn't be THAT easy to get rid of you by me putting you on Ignore?  could it?  i need you to keep pushing the thread to the top of the forum to get views.  you've contributed greatly to it's popularity and my message of Bitcoin UP!

you need to come back or else it will be very bad for all your fellow mini-trolls like marcus, iCE, tvbcof, kazuki, & the other Monero and 1MB pimps.  that's b/c my head will grow so big and my arrogance so large knowing i'm that important that it will be sufferably intolerable for them.  b/c they love this thread and can't stay away.  seriously:

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:48:39 PM

no late day pump.  that's not good.  c'mon Janet:

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:50:47 PM

oh please come back TPTB_need_war, please come back!  it's been almost 12h and you are nowhere to be seen?

was i right?  were you here just to troll little ol' cypherdoc with all your bullshit, obfuscation, hubris, and narcissism?  that would be quite flattering.  it couldn't be THAT easy to get rid of you by putting you on Ignore?  could it?  i need you to keep pushing the thread to the top of the forum to get views.  you've contributed greatly to it's popularity and my message of Bitcoin UP!

you need to come back or else it will be very bad for all your fellow mini-trolls like marcus, iCE, tvbcof, kazuki, & the other Monero and 1MB pimps.  that's b/c my head will grow so big and my arrogance so large knowing i'm that important that it will be sufferably intolerable for them.  b/c they love this thread and can't stay away.  seriously:

You are more spot-on than you might realize.  A good part of what draws me to this thread is indeed watching your head swell.  I bet you are as surprised as I am that there was sufficient pressure for your head to achieve the dimensions it has, and more than that, the native abilities which your mind has to draw in the following.

I strongly encourage lurkers who are not yet 'found out' to add to this pressure because the resulting display is very amusing.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:53:36 PM

oh please come back TPTB_need_war, please come back!  it's been almost 12h and you are nowhere to be seen?

was i right?  were you here just to troll little ol' cypherdoc with all your bullshit, obfuscation, hubris, and narcissism?  that would be quite flattering.  it couldn't be THAT easy to get rid of you by putting you on Ignore?  could it?  i need you to keep pushing the thread to the top of the forum to get views.  you've contributed greatly to it's popularity and my message of Bitcoin UP!

you need to come back or else it will be very bad for all your fellow mini-trolls like marcus, iCE, tvbcof, kazuki, & the other Monero and 1MB pimps.  that's b/c my head will grow so big and my arrogance so large knowing i'm that important that it will be sufferably intolerable for them.  b/c they love this thread and can't stay away.  seriously:

You are more spot-on than you might realize.  A good part of what draws me to this thread is indeed watching your head swell.  I bet you are as surprised as I am that there was sufficient pressure for your head to achieve the dimensions it has, and more than that, the native abilities which your mind has to draw in the following.

I strongly encourage lurkers who are not yet 'found out' to add to this pressure because the resulting display is very amusing.

thank you.

see, i told you, you can't stay away.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:59:14 PM

kazuki, & the other Monero and 1MB pimps.

I think this makes us about even: you were a few months before me in shifting from silver to BTC, and I was a little bit before you in the transition from BTC to Monero.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Pages: « 1 ... 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 [1303] 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: