Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:53:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 [1396] 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 09:58:52 PM

BitPay is not "accepted zero confirm transaction since 2013" until you are a US citizen and they know who is your grandma. -> So they know who you are and they know  how to apply law.

I just added credit to a NameCheap account using BitPay.  The credit arrived, and I was able to use it to buy hosting, before the transaction confirmed.  I also recently bought a Starbucks card using Gyft/BitPay and was able to use the card before the transaction confirmed.  

EDIT: And I'm not from the US nor registered with BitPay (does BitPay ever know who the buyer is?).

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:06:11 PM

rock and cypherdoc please publish your list of services with zero confirmation transaction you provide.
I'm getting mad ...... I WANT TO BUY !!!

actually, back in the day, i used to do it all_the_time with my newsletter.  never a problem.

I'm not interesting to buy your babbling  for 2 btc/month. I believe you had no problem if you received 2 btc. And I believe you had no problem if you received nothing.  -> I'll not get reach if I'll spend hours receiving your newsletter for free.

you are one of those devs who actually helped me realize that most of what some of you guys say is complete bullshit, aka fabricated armchair logic.

when i realized this, it was liberating.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:08:55 PM

here is a little tidbit as to why full nodes might be failing during this stress test.  it makes sense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3bmb5r/stress_test_in_full_effect/csnr4fi

We should have had more than one implementation/developer set/user group. Even a simple fork like XT could do, they could compete on timely bugfixing and other trivial usage related qualities.

If so, an incident could rebalance the weight of those implementation organically. It is like in darwinian evolution, a catastophy like a flood or a fire can instantly change the volume of genes of certain types, leaving the losing genes lurking, ready to take over if a new and different event takes place. They represent the antifragility. I like to compare the laisses fleur economy to nature.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:13:44 PM

rock and cypherdoc please publish your list of services with zero confirmation transaction you provide.

actually, back in the day, i used to do it all_the_time with my newsletter.  never a problem.

I'm not interesting to buy your babbling  for 2 btc/month. I believe you had no problem if you received 2 btc. And I believe you had no problem if you received nothing.  -> I'll not get reach if I'll spend hours receiving your newsletter for free.

you are one of those devs who actually helped me realize that most of what some of you guys say is complete bullshit, aka fabricated armchair logic.

actually, i have one last question.  if I simultaneous spending tx's how can I get rich by reading your newsletter for free?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:16:19 PM

actually, i have one last question.  if I simultaneous spending tx's how can I get rich by reading your newsletter for free?
Not sure you could, you need a little understanding in economics to do that, but you could be rich double spending on all those payment service providers who use 0 confirmations.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:18:41 PM

i used to think, surely this dev must be running optimized simulations in the background that gives him some verified data to make these assertions, right?  or, at the very least, he's gone thru this situation before and has a foundation of knowledge in this area.  i would go quiet contemplating deeply what he had to say.

eventually, i realized no, it's complete bullshit.  he's just going thru a logic process winging it that i am more than capable of doing as well.

epiphany!
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:32:46 PM

i used to think, surely this dev must be running optimized simulations in the background that gives him some verified data to make these assertions, right?  or, at the very least, he's gone thru this situation before and has a foundation of knowledge in this area.  i would go quiet contemplating deeply what he had to say.

eventually, i realized no, it's complete bullshit.  he's just going thru a logic process winging it that i am more than capable of doing as well.

epiphany!

I do not know what devs do. (a lot of them are "running optimized simulations in the background that gives him some verified data to make these assertions"). And maybe a lot of them "gone thru this situation before and has a foundation of knowledge in this area".

What about you "Is it complete bullshit?"
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 10:37:19 PM

epiphany!

I do not know what devs do. (a lot of them are "running optimized simulations in the background that gives him some verified data to make these assertions"). And maybe a lot of them "gone thru this situation before and has a foundation of knowledge in this area".

What about you "Is it complete bullshit?"

no, what i say is based on what i learn here and elsewhere.

btw, you never answered why you're not rich yet doing your simultaneous double spends?
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:05:04 PM

BitPay is not "accepted zero confirm transaction since 2013" until you are a US citizen and they know who is your grandma. -> So they know who you are and they know  how to apply law.

I just added credit to a NameCheap account using BitPay.  The credit arrived, and I was able to use it to buy hosting, before the transaction confirmed.  I also recently bought a Starbucks card using Gyft/BitPay and was able to use the card before the transaction confirmed.  

EDIT: And I'm not from the US nor registered with BitPay (does BitPay ever know who the buyer is?).

My pizza place uses BitPay, they accept blind pay-to address transactions with no registration or anything as zero confirm transactions, usually clears in 2-3 seconds, has since 2013. There is zero recourse for BitPay if I successfully cheat, but the network prevents that so BitPay works.

Odalv, you are so absolutely wrong here
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:05:20 PM

Zero-conf transactions did make some sense for worthless things like your newsletter, but those days are behind us after half a decade or working on trying to fill 1MB blocks so a market could develop.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:10:22 PM

here is a little tidbit as to why full nodes might be failing during this stress test.  it makes sense:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3bmb5r/stress_test_in_full_effect/csnr4fi

We should have had more than one implementation/developer set/user group. Even a simple fork like XT could do, they could compete on timely bugfixing and other trivial usage related qualities.

I think there is a lot beyond bugfixing and trivial usage qualities they could compete on. There are real optimizations that could be done with pruning and other enhancements. Today these are being ignored for RBF changes and focus on LN and SC development. A set of devs working on an alternative core implementation that dedicate their time to improving the user experience, would develop a better implementation that attracts people over time.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:10:46 PM

Zero-conf transactions did make some sense for worthless things like your newsletter, but those days are behind us after half a decade or working on trying to fill 1MB blocks so a market could develop.

during that time period, price went from $4 to $266.

guess if i was telling my subs to buy or sell?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:22:45 PM

I was making the augment that BTC might be a good long term bet and doing so free of charge from $5-ish down to $2-ish as you might recall (though I shut my mouth at the bottom because I don't want to be a perma-pumper who loses people money.  Especially those who cannot afford it.)

I don't know what you told your subs, and never cared much.  You seem to have told everyone else to buy with both hands all the while the price was going from $1100 -> $200 or whatever.  I made it a point (and still do) to not sell under $600 and got some up in the 4-figure range.  If you were telling your subs to do as I did, great.  Maybe you were telling them buy Hashfast or whatever?  I was totally outside the loop on that one and to this day I don't even know what that is/was or that you were pumping it (if indeed you were.)  Whatever it was it doesn't sound like it worked out all that great.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:23:58 PM

here is a little tidbit as to why full nodes might be failing during this stress test.  it makes sense:

I think there is a lot beyond bugfixing and trivial usage qualities they could compete on. There are real optimizations that could be done with pruning and other enhancements. Today these are being ignored for RBF changes and focus on LN and SC development. A set of devs working on an alternative core implementation that dedicate their time to improving the user experience, would develop a better implementation that attracts people over time.

Bad quoting, bad.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:29:55 PM

...since 9/11 was clearly not a attributable to handful of Muslims hiding out in caves half way around the world...

Seriously? Conspiracy theories are fun and all, but most require there to exist a level of perfection in coordination, execution, and secrecy in large organizations, or spanning far more individuals, than is rational to consider a real possibility.

No they don't.  That's why most of these false flags are about as clear as the nose on one's face when someone takes the time to look into them.  Thankfully we have an alternate media and interested individuals in society who, for whatever their set of reasons, will do just that.  We'll see how much longer that lasts now that the FCC has regulatory authority over the internet.  I'm guessing that they'll hold up about as well as Bitcoin when people attempt to use it in it's original P2P form.

Question: has anyone done a single interview with any of the workmen seen working in the elevator shafts of the twin towers in the weeks leading up to 9/11? Not that it would disprove the claims of truthers, but its non-existence is stark.

Before someone can conclude the impossible, I think they should at least refute those reports and/or produce an interview with one of those workmen.

I suppose Melbustus thinks the CIA doesn't have more than 1 or 2 agents sworn to lifetime secrecy under the threat of assassination should they violate the (perhaps unwritten) terms of their servitude. Just because we have a few cases of those who claim be ex-agents coming forward (not necessarily on the 9/11 issue), does not preclude the existence of different levels of secrecy clearances and ramifications for violating them.

I mean seriously grown men. We have a DEEP STATE with $trillions of funding taken from the unaccounted for DoD budget (per the former DoD secretary Donald Rumsfeld on the eve of 9/11 on national TV and other sources hence), and they can't secure the lifetime services a few good men  Huh

I wonder what sense of reality sheep like Melbustus and iCebreaker live in  Huh

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:32:47 PM

I was making the augment that BTC might be a good long term bet and doing so free of charge from $5-ish down to $2-ish as you might recall (though I shut my mouth at the bottom because I don't want to be a perma-pumper who loses people money.  Especially those who cannot afford it.)

it was free of charge from me at the time, too.  altho i don't remember you saying much of anything.

I don't know what you told your subs, and never cared much.  You seem to have told everyone else to buy with both hands all the while the price was going from $1100 -> $200 or whatever.  I made it a point (and still do) to not sell under $600 and got some up in the 4-figure range.  If you were telling your subs to do as I did, great.  Maybe you were telling them buy Hashfast or whatever?  I was totally outside the loop on that one and to this day I don't even know what that is/was or that you were pumping it (if indeed you were.)  Whatever it was it doesn't sound like it worked out all that great.

i told them BUY during the time of the newsletter.  for whomever listened, it worked out great.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:40:50 PM

absolutely.  look here.  guys reporting their bitcoind shut down from memory overload.  that sucks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3bmb5r/stress_test_in_full_effect/csniofb

A design which forces every consensus making node to approve every transaction is stoopid. Any half brained engineer could realize this if they spent some time thinking about the issues.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:42:09 PM

it was free of charge from me at the time, too.  altho i don't remember you saying much of anything.

I've never really been one to tell people what to do, but I was still doubling down at the late 2011 bottom and was prepared to do so one more time.  I was liberal with in describing my activities and rationals.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:45:33 PM

. In fact by not clearing transactions in blocks and causing the memory pool to increase beyond what it should, the 1MB limit is probably more stressful on nodes than simply letting larger blocks get processed....

This is a very valid point not many have talked about yet. I'd like to see what the 'nodemongers' have to say about this?

If you are referring to the set of transactions kept around waiting to put them in a block, full nodes could set a hard memory limit and flush those with the lowest transaction fee per kb forcing them to be resent to the network periodically.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:52:48 PM

I think replace by fee is good. It is a way to unstick a transaction that is stuck with too low fee, when you are in a hurry.  It does not change the protocol in any way, it is just the miner chooses the transaction with the higher fee, making the old one illegal. It does not fill up blocks, only the network.

Zero-confirmations don't work in a system that can't guarantee the mempool ends up in a block. Thus either Bitcoin has unlimited spam or it doesn't have zero-confirmations.

Yet another in a long list of reasons that PoW cryptocurrency is broken and can't be fixed without a radical redesign.

What is that again iCebreaker about my sanity?

Pages: « 1 ... 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 [1396] 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: