Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA crowdsourced "Data Center" Options and Ideas?  (Read 2828 times)
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 02:13:26 AM

So FPGA and ASIC seem to be the future of mining. With systems like the "Rig" from Butterly Labs, you have amazingly dense power per watt, however you still have a significant power draw.

Who would be interested in pooling resources to acquire BFL Singles, Rigs or other FPGA or ASIC devices, and pack them into a secure server room with plenty of power. I currently have 1 BFL Single and it's fantastic.

Along with a financial buy-in, I would be able to provide a secure server room with a minimum of 50AMPs @240V and dedicated cooling.

What ideas, options or interest is out there? Add to the thread and let's hear it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitbird

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 03:42:42 PM

That would be quite interesting if a Rig Box or ASIC based mining operation could be setup. I'm watching these kind of projects.

Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 04:04:00 PM

Quote from: 1l1l11ll1l
pack them into a secure server room

Interesting idea, what does secure mean though? Would each share holder have access to the "secure server room"?
Who is the keeper of the keys? You know why this is important.

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 08:54:00 PM

Quote from: 1l1l11ll1l
pack them into a secure server room

Interesting idea, what does secure mean though? Would each share holder have access to the "secure server room"?
Who is the keeper of the keys? You know why this is important.

Secure as in locked with limited access and security systems, cctv etc. 
I don't see why not if they'd like to come up to the Rocky Mountains for a visit.
Myself and my network admin only have access.

Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 09:11:48 PM

Where in the Rockies? I'm out in Boulder myself. The biggest thing I'd be interest in is a place to co-lo my growing HD 5970s farm.. I'm a lowly apartment dweller and don't have the ability to feed any more juice to my farm. However, I might also be interested in a share of a crowdsourced FPGA farm.
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 11:01:12 PM

Where in the Rockies? I'm out in Boulder myself. The biggest thing I'd be interest in is a place to co-lo my growing HD 5970s farm.. I'm a lowly apartment dweller and don't have the ability to feed any more juice to my farm. However, I might also be interested in a share of a crowdsourced FPGA farm.
Take a look at, which might help you scale more: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68634.0
and give feedback! Smiley

Actually it's somewhat same as on this thread but oversimplified and turn into a traditional hosting service.
(Sorry, not meaning to thread hijack, just saw my idea could be helpful!)

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 11:45:32 PM

My best offering I think would be my power costs. Currently at $0.00 KW/h.

I have a very nice lease agreement to be sure. 4 years remaining too :-D

PulsedMedia

Activity: 402

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 11:47:17 PM

Hahaha, that's a sweet deal! Smiley
Just don't tell me now that floor space is something like 20€/m2 XD

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:52:09 PM

Looking more interesting....
Kaos

Activity: 64

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 10:07:29 PM

I had a similar idea here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=73908.0).

Collocation of miners seems like a no-brainer to me...

PM me and we can discuss it in detail. I'm really interested....
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 10:21:29 PM

$0.00 Kw/h looks more enticing to GPU folks then FPGA folks I would imagine.

1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2012, 04:08:51 PM

$0.00 Kw/h looks more enticing to GPU folks then FPGA folks I would imagine.

depends on how many FPGAs you have :-D

JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 04:13:10 PM

True...  Grin

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 09:50:43 PM

Do you have an electric stove or Dryer?  Those outlets are pretty handy if your low on juice in an apt.
wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 10:08:02 PM

So FPGA and ASIC seem to be the future of mining. With systems like the "Rig" from Butterly Labs, you have amazingly dense power per watt, however you still have a significant power draw.

Who would be interested in pooling resources to acquire BFL Singles, Rigs or other FPGA or ASIC devices, and pack them into a secure server room with plenty of power. I currently have 1 BFL Single and it's fantastic.

Along with a financial buy-in, I would be able to provide a secure server room with a minimum of 50AMPs @240V and dedicated cooling.

What ideas, options or interest is out there? Add to the thread and let's hear it!

So I would fly out my precious rigbox *future speak* to the Rockies never to be seen anymore, or visit her it once or twice a year (in combo with a skiing trip)? Or better yet, have it shipped to you from BFL having never laid eyes on it?

That's a really tough thing to ask man, really tough. Even for 0$ electricity...  Undecided

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2012, 03:00:02 AM

Might I suggest you use GLBSE as a funding method for this project.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Kaos

Activity: 64

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:23:02 AM

So I would fly out my precious rigbox *future speak* to the Rockies never to be seen anymore, or visit her it once or twice a year (in combo with a skiing trip)? Or better yet, have it shipped to you from BFL having never laid eyes on it?

That's a really tough thing to ask man, really tough. Even for 0$ electricity...  Undecided

Never heard of Data Centers? Believe me, if you have a $15k-$30k worth of kit, you don't want it lying around home. You'll be stressed to hell and back when you leave home for any extended period of time.

On the other hand a Data Center, has improved security, CCTV, and so on. - I would find it tough having my rigs at home if they were over a certain value and power cost.

1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2012, 05:16:11 AM

Never heard of Data Centers? Believe me, if you have a $15k-$30k worth of kit, you don't want it lying around home. You'll be stressed to hell and back when you leave home for any extended period of time.

On the other hand a Data Center, has improved security, CCTV, and so on. - I would find it tough having my rigs at home if they were over a certain value and power cost.

We currently have $3 mil in insurance coverage, theft, fire, water, blizzard. All covered. 

wogaut
Donator

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 03:56:56 PM

We currently have $3 mil in insurance coverage, theft, fire, water, blizzard. All covered. 

Thanks for that answer, that was mostly point of my question, most impressive.

Another thing I was wondering about:

Usually such lease agreements assume 'reasonable' use of energy. So I would think that you are certain that this agreement can't be canceled just because you draw the full power possible?

And what about constant internet connection. Will you be ready to immediately act (like have someone on call each day of the week) if it goes down for any reason?

1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2012, 02:49:30 AM

Usually such lease agreements assume 'reasonable' use of energy. So I would think that you are certain that this agreement can't be canceled just because you draw the full power possible?

And what about constant internet connection. Will you be ready to immediately act (like have someone on call each day of the week) if it goes down for any reason?

It's my daily office, so I'm typically there, we also have "metro ethernet" since the office tower is down the street from some major backbones, plus we have redundant auto failover. Management systems are also connected to ethernet connected PDUs for remote power cycle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: