Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 02:25:16 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me get back into mining...5830's?  (Read 2649 times)
Acejam

Activity: 283

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 05:50:19 PM

Hey all,

I'm back!  Grin

I used to run (5) 6990's across 2 systems with an 890FXA-GD70, Corsair 1200w, etc. Since then, I've sold off all of my bitcoin parts and desktop computers, and I'm now rocking a MacBook Pro as my primary machine (which is awesome btw). The main reason for the switch is that I moved into a new apartment, and didn't think I would have room for the rigs.

Fast forward 6 months or so, and I'm fully settled in. I have a private garage, and there's a utilities closest in this garage. My initial thought was to build a small mining rig geared towards efficiency. To be completely honest money isn't a huge issue, but I'd like to try and get things as cheap as possible this time around, rather than going balls to the wall and balling out on 6990's again.

One concern I obviously have is heat. I'm not sure how this rig would run in a closest, but I guess it's worth trying. Worst case scenario, I could simply run the rig in the corner of the garage itself.

I've managed to find some factory refurbished Sapphire 5830 cards for about $105 each with free shipping. My thoughts are as follows:

(6) Sapphire 5830 GPU's
(1) MSI 890FXA-GD70
(6) PCI Cable extenders
(1) 1200-1500W PSU (Corsair, OCZ, or Kingwin)
Cheap AMD CPU
Cheap RAM
USB Stick for OS

Thoughts? I will be running this completely caseless ontop of the MOBO box, or I might build a custom mini-rack out of wood. I've had great success with the 890FXA board and the (6) PCI-E slots are awesome. I'm mostly concerned about the 5830's, simply because I want to make mining worth my time/money this time around. The 6990's I had before generated crazy amounts of heat.

I realize the cards are factory refurbished, but if anything, I would imagine that means they are all tested prior to being re-sold. What type of output could I expect from this system? 2 GH/s? Would I be better off with trying to find 5870's instead? It seems I could pick up 2 5830's for the price of one 5870 almost.

Thanks,
Ace
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 06:37:27 PM

5830s are good bang for the buck, I run 7 of them that I bought for about 100 each. 
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 10:36:56 PM

5830s are good bang for the buck, I run 7 of them that I bought for about 100 each. 

They are, but for heat, the 5870 or 5970 undervolted is best.  Or FPGA of course. 

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 11:24:01 PM

They are, but for heat, the 5870 or 5970 undervolted is best.  Or FPGA of course. 

I use the waste heat to heat a couple rooms in my house, I don't mind, come summer to the garage they go!!
m0w3r

Activity: 132

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 03:23:30 AM

I bought an acrylic myopenpc open case because of your old pictures with your 6990s.  What a bendable piece of junk that acrylic open case turned out to be.
Acejam

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 03:50:09 AM

I bought an acrylic myopenpc open case because of your old pictures with your 6990s.  What a bendable piece of junk that acrylic open case turned out to be.

I still have mine lying around in my apartment. I've been trying to sell it - if I can't by this weekend, I'm going to throw it out.  Cheesy  Grin
Acejam

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 05:54:49 AM

I was going to hit up MicroCenter today for a bunch of parts, but I'm having second thoughts now. Part of the issue is that I don't have a good space to run this rig. My initial thought was to put it in my utilities closet, but after remembering the amount of heat my 6990's produced, I'm not so sure. Granted, the 5xxx cards run much cooler, but still. I did manage to pick up a Sapphire 5830 for $90 today though. Smiley

If the utilities closet doesn't work out, perhaps I could just run it in my garage somewhere. I'd rather not have any elaborate cooling fans of setups though, i just want something simple. (maybe some 120mm fans though)

My list is/was:

GigabyteGA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366425

OCZ TechnologyZX Series 1250 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0356882

AMDSempron 145 2.8GHz Boxed Processor
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373195

Samsung4GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 UDIMM Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 2GB Memory Modules)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380718

ASUSWireless N USB 2.0 Adapter
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355572

silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 03:22:01 PM

Why such a big expensive power supply?

I have a corsair 850watt running 4 5830s, MB, SSD, 1 HD, 2 core Athlon CPU without any trouble.  Its not in the sweet spot for the efficiency curve, but its only a few percent lower then the sweet spot..
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 08:53:22 PM

I have a corsair 850watt running 4 5830s, MB, SSD, 1 HD, 2 core Athlon CPU without any trouble.  Its not in the sweet spot for the efficiency curve, but its only a few percent lower then the sweet spot..

Yah, really.

When I had 5830's I used to use a 750W Seasonic for 3, didn't break a sweat.

OCZ sucks

oh, wts 1x 5830 sapphire bought off newegg when they had that $100 + shogun deal or whatever last april. 

Dacentec, best deals for US dedicated servers. They regularly restock $20-$25 Opterons with 8-16GB RAM & 2x1-2TB HDD's (ofc, usually lots of other good stuff to choose from).  I did a Serverbear benchmark of one of my $20/mo Opteron (June last year), it's here.  Have had about a half dozen different servers with Dacentec, & none have failed to sustain at least 40MB/s (burst higher). My favorite is a 12-month rent-to-own ZT Systems 2XL5520 16GB 2x2TB SATA for $40/month (got lucky with the 'off-brand', haven't seen a RTO 2xL5520 for under $50/mo since -- at least for monthly contracts).  wholesaleinternet.com has some ancient 2-core intel CPUs @ $10/mo sometimes (I got an Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1.86GHz, with a 250GB HDD with 46000 hours on it, LOL. $20 @ Dacentec is much better, if you can grab one). joesdatacenter.com (same location as Wholesale Internet) also occasionally has specials (or if you don't want to wait, it has an AMD Opteron 170 @ $16/mo).
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 09:08:45 PM

Are you in the US? I'm in the UK and will be disposing of custom built rigs with 5850s and 5830s in the next four weeks or so.

Won't be economical to sell to the USA though.

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
Acejam

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 09:40:40 PM

I have a corsair 850watt running 4 5830s, MB, SSD, 1 HD, 2 core Athlon CPU without any trouble.  Its not in the sweet spot for the efficiency curve, but its only a few percent lower then the sweet spot..

My plan is/was to run (6) or more 5830's off 1 board. I'd need more than 850W to do that.

OCZ sucks

Do you have any personal negative experiences with their 1250W PSU? Every PSU has negative reviews - it's just the nature of the best. If I don't pick up an OCZ one, it'll be an Corsair AX1200, like I had before with m 6990 rig.
Acejam

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 09:42:05 PM

PS: I don't need any cards - I have plenty of sources to buy them locally. I put up an ad on craigslist and received a ton of emails for cards that people are trying to sell.

The question remains - would running a rig such as this in a utilities closest be a bad idea?
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 10:53:44 PM

PS: I don't need any cards - I have plenty of sources to buy them locally. I put up an ad on craigslist and received a ton of emails for cards that people are trying to sell.

The question remains - would running a rig such as this in a utilities closest be a bad idea?
Around 4 Ghash will eat over 2 kW. And it all gets turned into pure heat. That's your main consideration.

One of my rigs is a 12-card contraption with three logic boards, four GPUs per board, each board has its CPU underclocked to the minimum, running off USB sticks, each GPU is tweaked to my personal specs for max hashpower and minimum electrical consumption.

A recent (these things evolve as I make them more efficient) pic - this one currently averages 4.2-4.5 Ghash/sec:

This thing sits in one of the spare bedrooms of my Victorian 3-floor end-terrace townhouse in England. We haven't used the gas central heating since I started bitcoin mining. It eats 2.3 kW constantly and that is all, very efficiently, converted into heat.

OK, there are newer, more efficient, graphics cards - and I could have spent more on more efficient PSUs. But even spending a fortune swapping the 58xx cards for 7990s or whatever wouldn't give an order of magnitude difference in electrical consumption.

I'd say two things:

1. If you don't have to factor the power cost into your equations (because it's free, cheap or you're not paying it), make sure you are aware of the ramifications of turning your planned mining rig's power consumption into pure heat 24/7. If you're putting a 5 Ghash rig into your utilities closet (entirely possible) then you'll need a serious heat management solution. My entire mining capacity is tiny - between 9-10 Ghash - but it's got the to the point where both my girlfriend and I are overheating in any room in the house. It's not a tiny apartment either. It would be manageable with air conditioning, but the additional cost would be very high risk regarding pay-off and future block-reward reduction;

2. I think we've gone too far now for clever home-brew water-cooled rigs to give positive return on invested capital - not unless you take an exceptionally bullish position on (a) how long Bitcoin will continue to operate in a substantially similar paradigm (ie miners provide money supply and get paid for it), and (b) how long Bitcoin will be ignored by first-world Keynesian-economy governments, and the banks that are their masters. Unless you aren't building dedicated rigs, and can *really* use the power of the machines you build for applications *other* than mining, I'd be careful about spending money on cool water-cooled custom rigs that don't pay for themselves before the majority of the 'serious' mining types have switched technologies away from PCs and multiple GPUs.

Basically, any investment in BTC mining needs to stand a chance of paying itself off in the time *you* consider the BTC economy status quo to continue. Yes, it's volatile, but the big kickers would be *any* interference by the global banks and their puppet politicians, or the wholesale switch of 'serious miners' to FPGA or ASIC technologies. The entire BTC economy is small enough for any self-respecting hedge fund to buy up completely... look at the silver market (paper, as in the COMEX) and the manipulation by certain big bullion banks as an example.

If you've got free energy and plenty of hardware... the big issue is the heat management problem. My home is uncomfortably hot and all I'm doing is 9-10 Ghash. However, a lot of the serious miners are moving heavily into FPGAs and the BFL product (which I won't call an 'FPGA' because they claim it's not 'just' FPGA hardware), which will allow those with more capital to control larger proportions of hashrate regardless of industrial server-room capacity. This is interesting, since those with real money have always been able to have the highest hashrate (and income) - but have had to run big rigs in industrial-sized air-conditioned datacentre type facilities. My planned FPGA cluster would be perfectly reasonable to run in my own home (without boiling myself and my girlfriend alive) all the way up to 100 Ghash. I don't have the capital to build a cluster this big (sadly) but it brings wealthy enthusiasts without the datacentre ownership (pools, ISPs, etc.) into the big-hashpower league.

The enthusiasts with the big money to spend will, I'm sure, be beating down the doors of the most credible and proven FPGA solution providers. The real believers with real money will be commissioning custom silicon (though that's such a black swan for the rest of us miners that I'm cutting it out of my business plan, otherwise we'd all give up)... Wink

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 11:00:55 PM

It'll be fine as long as you leave the door open 6 inches or more.  Might run a lil hot. 
silverbox
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 11:03:47 PM

My plan is/was to run (6) or more 5830's off 1 board. I'd need more than 850W to do that.

Gotcha, seems alot of peeps have problems when they try to run more then 4-5 gpu's on a single Mboard, I never have personally tried it,  I just run 4 per mboard and don't worry about it. 
Gomeler

Activity: 635

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 11:30:30 PM

Running 7 HD 5830s on an ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer w/ PCIe ribbon cables. Works like a champ although the ATI drivers flipped out when I expanded it from 4 cards to 7 and added cables. Had to use driver cleaner and nuke the system and start from scratch.

amazingrando

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 02:34:09 AM

I have somewhere around 30-40 5830's but I probably won't buy more.  They are cheap on a $/hash basis, which is awesome, but they come with some caveats.

Dead fans
For me, after running many months I get a fair number of dead fans.  Finding a replacement fan can be a real pain (if even possible) on non-reference 5830's, whereas there is good availability of reference coolers on ebay for $15 if you're using a ref card (5870, 5970, 6990, etc.).

Harder to cool
When you have more cards I find it harder to give them all good airflow, whereas with my 5970's and 6990s there are fewer per rig and thus easier to direct fresh air into them.

More rigs to manage
Let's say I want 3.5GH of hashing power.  With 5830's I'll need three rigs, whereas you could get by with one or two if you had more powerful cards.  Fewer systems = less hassle.

Physical space
I use 5 x 5830's on MSI 890FXA-GD65's, which works well. I've tried higher number of cards, but the sweet spot economically and in terms of reliability seems to be 5 or fewer cards per mobo.  For my 6990 rigs, I have 3 x 6990's in one 890FXA-GD70.  I started with two in each and then added another.  That gives me ~2.4GH in less space as 1.5GH of 5830's.

Bitbond - 105% PPS mining bond - mining payouts without buying hardware
zerokwel

Activity: 466

View Profile
March 24, 2012, 11:40:12 AM

Sorry to hijack.

Catfish I am from the uk and might be interested in 5830's. when you decide to sell
nolo200

Activity: 99

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 04:05:39 PM

I have a corsair 850watt running 4 5830s, MB, SSD, 1 HD, 2 core Athlon CPU without any trouble.  Its not in the sweet spot for the efficiency curve, but its only a few percent lower then the sweet spot..

Yea, you're pushing it.  Each 5830 uses 155W and that's without overclocking accounted for. http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1261&page=15
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.