Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:30:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop Posting "Subscribing..."  (Read 2167 times)
splatster (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 09:14:31 PM

I find that all these "watching" or "subscribing" or "witnessed" posts might as well just be spam.  It seems as though people are either deliberately trying to raise their post count or are somehow oblivious to the notify button on the top right of each page of a thread.

Am I the only one who feels that such posts are useless and annoying?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2012, 09:42:11 PM

<stupid gif>
gifs still allowed?
This is another subset of spammy posts. It adds no value to this thread nor could it add any value to any thread outside of the totally off topic thread. I would like to keep this thread serious, do please keep that shit out of here. Besides that, you have also earned yourself an ignore.

Actually you are not the only one who finds them annoying, I do too.
However I'm using this method of getting updates to threads too (always add something nice to say but probably the same as 'subscribing').

If you know a better way to get updates for a specific thread into your 'Show new replies to your posts' box, please let me hear it!

I hate the 'Notify' link, as it sends out email notes. The next morning I log into my mail account I have several dozen of emails from active threads in my inbox, this is _much_ more annoying to me than seeing the frequence "subscribing" messages in between.

But given that being a simple option to follow a thread, I prefer people writing "Subscribing" rather than making up some bullsh*t statement to sound like they actually like to contribute (but really just want to keep reading); "Subscribing" is easier to skip. I know, it puts that thread on top, although there's no new info in it, that's still annoying.

So unless you tell me about a way to get a list of the threads I'm interested in one place similar to that 'Show new replies to your posts' tab (no email updates please, my inbox is already too full), your request has no merit. If  there's no other way currently, this might be a good feature request.

BTW, very mature, Agent_Provocateur, very mature indeed.

These are all very valid points. This is almost my asking for a feature that would allow subscribing in the desired way without spamming the thread or sending you emails.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2012, 10:20:30 PM

I also used "subbed" sometimes.

My intentions were two:
1) subscribing to the topic
2) notify to the OP that I was interested his topic

I think that the second is the most important, because it gives a reward to the OP.
He/She will know that there are some people interested on what he/she is saying / is going to say.

I think that a good way to limit/stop all these "subbed" post is adding a counter ( or showing all their names at the bottom ) somewhere near/in the topic that show how many people are subscribed to it.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:21:31 AM

"witnessed", too, is important, but like "subbed", it is also due to technological reasons. You see, in SMF, not even an Administrator can view/restore the original version of a post after it has been edited unless someone quoted it or a copy was otherwise saved (i.e. backups, web caches like Google, screenshots, direct copy/pastes saved by someone, etc.)

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:24:16 AM

I'm very annoyed by them, but I feel bad about deleting them because the people who post them are just trying to get some extra functionality out of the board. I do delete them on the most serious of threads, and you can ban them with local rules.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:26:51 AM

I completely understand the use for theses types of messages.  What I am saying is that these should be replaced by features in the new forum software if/when it gets done.

A quick fix to the subbed problem would be to have a specific format for such a message, but when a thread is displayed, such messages would be kept hidden in some way.  For example, if my entire message on a thread was "Subscribing." then it shouldn't be displayed, but should there be a reply to the thread, the thread should still show up on the new replies page.
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:29:47 AM

I'm very annoyed by them, but I feel bad about deleting them because the people who post them are just trying to get some extra functionality out of the board. I do delete them on the most serious of threads, and you can ban them with local rules.
in SMF, not even an Administrator can view/restore the original version of a post after it has been edited

wow, i didn't know that. i just assume 'delete' on the internet means 'save forever'.

This just further supports that there is a certain lack of functionality on the forum.  I have offered to participate in the new forum software, and if I got the chance I would definitely take the time to implement some alternative way to do these functions without actually posting on a thread.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:43:38 AM

Is it really that disruptive? Seriously...do you get pissed when people say hello to you, as well?
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:48:45 AM

Is it really that disruptive? Seriously...do you get pissed when people say hello to you, as well?
It's either due to the lack of any alternative to posting in a thread to subscribe in such a manner or it is people just trying to raise their post count.  Why not kill two birds with one stone on this one?  We can make an alternative and also prevent the undeserving increase in post count that people who make such posts receive.

Also, when did I say I was pissed? I am trying to address an issue that I see, and clearly I am not the only one who feels there is a better way.
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:50:07 AM

It's either due to the lack of any alternative to posting in a thread to subscribe in such a manner or it is people just trying to raise their post count.
Or to bump a decent thread.
*cough*

splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 12:52:32 AM

It's either due to the lack of any alternative to posting in a thread to subscribe in such a manner or it is people just trying to raise their post count.
*cough*
The key word there is decent.  People bumping posts of them selling something completely useless need to stop bumping there threads and get over the fact that no one wants what they're selling.
RandyFolds

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 01:45:55 AM

*cough*
The key word there is decent.  People bumping posts of them selling something completely useless need to stop bumping there threads and get over the fact that no one wants what they're selling.

There are about a million threads discussing undue bumping. This is just contributing to the problem.

You'll realize very soon that post counts are meaningless, particularly here. Padding it isn't going to impress anyone but newbs that just showed up.
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 02:41:46 AM

Postan 4 teh lawlz
spam
Neither of these two posts add anything to the thread.  I am really trying to keep this thread clean.

*cough*

There are about a million threads discussing undue bumping. This is just contributing to the problem.

You'll realize very soon that post counts are meaningless, particularly here. Padding it isn't going to impress anyone but newbs that just showed up.
First off, I applaud you for actually posting something useful in the midst of every one else's crap.
I understand that, so I don't care if someone with 1000 posts does some stupid shit to increase his post count.  When someone with very few posts does that, it seems that they are trying to build up rep quickly.
NothinG

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:05:05 AM

Postan 4 teh lawlz
spam
Neither of these two posts add anything to the thread.  I am really trying to keep this thread clean.

*cough*

First off, I applaud you for actually posting something useful in the midst of every one else's crap.
I understand that, so I don't care if someone with 1000 posts does some stupid shit to increase his post count.  When someone with very few posts does that, it seems that they are trying to build up rep quickly.
I'm not sure if you've noticed, but you're fairly low on that "post count" scale of yours. Wink

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:05:59 AM

Postan 4 teh lawlz
spam
It's something called "irony". Google it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
NothinG

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:16:04 AM

This is turning into another useless thread, and unless someone actually invents the "unsubscribe" feature (which has been requested on many boards using SMF for years), I have to delete my posts from this thread to stop getting my "Show new replies to your posts" spammed with it. ANOTHER useful feature, btw.

So would someone here please quote this message to have it on future record before I delete it; not because I withdraw my opinion, but I refuse to get flooded with reminders.

RandyFolds

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 07:56:41 AM

This is turning into another useless thread, and unless someone actually invents the "unsubscribe" feature (which has been requested on many boards using SMF for years), I have to delete my posts from this thread to stop getting my "Show new replies to your posts" spammed with it. ANOTHER useful feature, btw.

So would someone here please quote this message to have it on future record before I delete it; not because I withdraw my opinion, but I refuse to get flooded with reminders.

First world problems...

My twitter feed it too tweety, goddamnit!
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 09:12:39 AM

+1

...falls in the same category imho and could be replaced by thread/post/user +1
splatster (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 11:15:57 PM

Postan 4 teh lawlz
spam

*cough*

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but you're fairly low on that "post count" scale of yours. Wink
Yes, I understand that, but you'll notice that my posts have actual content to them rather than than 100 "Subcribing!" posts.
RandyFolds

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 03:41:04 PM

Bitching about fixing something that is far from broken is hardly productive or full of content.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: