Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:44:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin wallets be trusted?  (Read 3788 times)
Anders (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:06:15 AM

I wonder if Bitcoin could be updated to use public user IDs on the block chain. For example Twitter usernames. Then the need for private Bitcoin addresses is removed and the bitcoins always securely stored on the block chain with the unencrypted usernames.

As for anonymity, simply choose a Twitter username like @AnonBitcoinUser.
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:07:27 AM

Yes. It depends more on if you make rational decesions or not.
meowdea

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 04:10:18 PM

Yes. It depends more on if you make rational decesions or not.
What rational decision is? Because I can't imagine one if we are talking about bitcoins.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:47:22 PM

I wonder if Bitcoin could be updated to use public user IDs on the block chain. For example Twitter usernames. Then the need for private Bitcoin addresses is removed and the bitcoins always securely stored on the block chain with the unencrypted usernames.

A)  not going to happen.
B)  would be bad for anonymity because now you have 1 username for many addresses
C)  for what purpose/benefit?

DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 05:52:56 PM

A)  not going to happen.
B)  would be bad for anonymity because now you have 1 username for many addresses
I agree that this would make no sense. It would also make it so that the block chain would not be secured cryptographically but rather with some central authority that houses all of the passwords.

This spot for rent.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 06:33:20 PM

If your wallet.dat is password protected, the software would have to wait until you typed in your password before it can do anything.

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2014, 06:42:24 PM

A)  not going to happen.
I agree that this would make no sense. It would also make it so that the block chain would not be secured cryptographically but rather with some central authority that houses all of the passwords.

If you want to be public, register at http://keybase.io and add your face to the BTC address.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 18, 2014, 12:58:37 AM

A)  not going to happen.

Yeah, one of the main aspects of Bitcoin is, after all, that there are effectively no accounts. The addresses are one part of a crypto pair and that's it. Extending the whole system with changeable names or something is another application and may or may not be implemented on top of the system we're currently employing. Namecoin?

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: