Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:25:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So, apparently I can't work more than 40 hours a week...  (Read 5654 times)
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:18:21 PM

It's because that working too much lower the value of the work you create. Only stupid/short-term/badly managed business are happy to overwork their employees regularly.

Having free time to think, study, discover and experiment helps you grow as a person. The more you are developed physically and mentally, the better you can add value to your work. If your persona stay small and undeveloped, yeah, you can work more hours, but these hours have less value for you over time.

A business owner who works its employees for 60 hours every week will make his profit with the difference between the output of his employees work, and the value as a human being of those employees. If your t-shirt is made in China, it's because the human being there have less value than the human being here. So, they're paid accordingly, and business owners profit from the difference.

A great business owner will let his employees grow their persona, so he can profit from the high value work those employees produce. Sure, those guys cost more, but they output more value in return.

The dogma of "you need to work hard" is half-crap created by factory managers who want to get the more juice they can from employees until they're dried enough to get fired. It's missing the part where you need to think before you work. Think, envision, plan and when you're ready, you go work hard. You stop, evaluate your work, rethink it, try something new, and you start working hard again. If somebody is doing the thinking part for you, you're not better than a slave with good living conditions.

Don't forget where "Arbeit Macht Frei" was written and for who.

Who defines a great business?

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:48:37 PM

Who defines a great business?

The people in the business, of course.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2012, 07:11:24 PM

* many dying people regret their decision to work so much
That tells you nothing useful about any individual person.

* many programmers, despite being smart and in quite high demand, succumb to lifestyle that severely hurts their families, without getting anything tangible in return (so much for rationality, eh?).
That, again, tells you nothing about any individual person.

You did not say a word whether you agree with these facts, or what do you think about them...
I think that making the decision person by person, and making the decision by the person whose interests are being protected, is always going to be superior to having disinterested people making one decision for everyone.

But in any event, society has no right to say to people, "We know better than you what's good for you, so we're going to force you to act the way we think is best."

Plus, I don't believe you. You may say you care about preventing people from being exploited, but it seems much more likely, and much more sensible, that you're really trying to prevent competition. That is, you are trying to prevent people who *do* benefit from working lots of hours from doing so in the mistaken belief that this makes things easier for people who don't want to work lots of hours. That attitude is not only morally repugnant but it's logically wrong.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
BenRayfield

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 01:20:59 AM

If most employers were rational, they wouldn't require I work exactly 40 hours per week, because I've offered to work for less money per hour in exchange for less hours and they refuse.

As long as we're on the subject of forcing people to do things in connection with business, I don't like how governments force me to do all kinds of paperwork, get licenses, and many kinds of complexities that require hiring multiple experts, to sell my services without going through any other business. That's much worse than the 40 hours thing.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:04:05 PM

It's very easy to think that you know what's good for someone better than they do, but you're almost always wrong.

You say a lot of insightful and knowledgeable things on this forum which I'm sure many enjoy, but this one, JoelKatz, should be posted in big letters somewhere everyone can read it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 09:06:11 AM

But in any event, society has no right to say to people, "We know better than you what's good for you, so we're going to force you to act the way we think is best."
This sounds agreeable,except that it doesn't match reality at all. Every day new demands and rules are created by society, ranging from anti-discrimination laws through work regulations to smoking bans. Those who ignore this reality, and its underlying irrational part of human psychology, do so at their own peril.
Plus, I don't believe you. You may say you care about preventing people from being exploited, but it seems much more likely, and much more sensible, that you're really trying to prevent competition. That is, you are trying to prevent people who *do* benefit from working lots of hours from doing so in the mistaken belief that this makes things easier for people who don't want to work lots of hours. That attitude is not only morally repugnant but it's logically wrong.
To me, you seem like saying "LALALALA, humans are fully rational beings that are able fully self-regulate and I don't want to hear anything else because it's not logical, LALALALALA". Maybe I am immoral, but I feel that acknowledging and questioning reality as it stands is better that maintaining feeling of moral supremacy and illusion of knowledge. Still, yes, there are basic human rights and I believe in them and I believe that to violate them is immoral. But also, man is a social animal that needs stable and working society with clear rules to support him/her. There was, is and will be strife for any foreseeable future.  I see the worktime regulations being in the gray area somewhere between, and I am trying to think where they came from.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
Jon (OP)
Donator

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

No Gods; No Masters; Only You

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 09:22:17 AM

Haha, this guy still believes in "basic human rights". He still believes in an objective morality.

We're dealing with a faith-based zealot here.

The Communists say, equal labour entitles man to equal enjoyment. No, equal labour does not entitle you to it, but equal enjoyment alone entitles you to equal enjoyment. Enjoy, then you are entitled to enjoyment. But, if you have laboured and let the enjoyment be taken from you, then – ‘it serves you right.’ If you take the enjoyment, it is your right.
Electricbees

Activity: 322

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 10:06:09 AM

I remember when I couldn't get more than 20 hours a week at my job...
I also distinctly remember going out and getting TWO more jobs, and started working 60-70 hours a week.
I found two more unlucky souls who thought they wanted to purchase my labor for the low, low price of minimum wage.  Wink

Working is fun.

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 11:54:19 AM

Haha, this guy still believes in "basic human rights". He still believes in an objective morality.

We're dealing with a faith-based zealot here.

Have you taken my suggestion of pretending to be an illegal alien and working 90 hours a week for less than the minimum wage?  Or was it all bluster on your part?
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 12:12:55 AM

Hes working too hard to answer.
Electricbees

Activity: 322

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 09:33:41 AM

If one desires to work for sub-standard pay, for as many hours as they like, look no further than being a
Cha-Cha guide... You can earn up to an ENTIRE PENNY per question you answer with a canned shit response and make up to ONE HUNDRED PENNIES before you are fired for incompetence...

You are also required to work at least 28 hours a day before they will consider you worthy enough of a paycheck and will hold your grandparents for ransom if you spell anything wrong. (I hate ChaCha)

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2012, 01:00:46 AM

When I was a few years younger I had a job where I worked 14 hrs/day, 7 days a week for 6 months straight. That's over 2500 hours. I was also a 1099 employee so I didn't get any benefits or overtime. That portion of my life is gone forever Sad

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2012, 07:06:27 AM

Unions are great. Thanks for my weekends Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: