Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:16:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt, bitcoind version 0.5.3 released  (Read 5070 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:15:41 PM

Bitcoin version 0.5.3 is now available for download at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.5.3/

This is a bugfix-only release based on 0.5.1.
It also includes a few protocol updates.

Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

Stable source code is hosted at Gitorious:
  http://gitorious.org/bitcoin/bitcoind-stable/archive-tarball/v0.5.3#.tar.gz

PROTOCOL UPDATES

• BIP 30: Introduce a new network rule: "a block is not valid if it contains a transaction whose hash already exists in the block chain, unless all that transaction's outputs were already spent before said block" beginning on March 15, 2012, 00:00 UTC.
  • On testnet, allow mining of min-difficulty blocks if 20 minutes have gone by without mining a regular-difficulty block. This is to make testing Bitcoin easier, and will not affect normal mode.

BUG FIXES

• Limit the number of orphan transactions stored in memory, to prevent a potential denial-of-service attack by flooding orphan transactions. Also never store invalid transactions at all.
  • Fix possible buffer overflow on systems with very long application data paths. This is not exploitable.
  • Resolved multiple bugs preventing long-term unlocking of encrypted wallets
    (issue #922).
  • Only send local IP in "version" messages if it is globally routable (ie, not private), and try to get such an IP from UPnP if applicable.
  • Reannounce UPnP port forwards every 20 minutes, to workaround routers expiring old entries, and allow the -upnp option to override any stored setting.
  • Skip splash screen when -min is used, and fix Minimize to Tray function.
  • Do not blank "label" in Bitcoin-Qt "Send" tab, if the user has already entered something.
  • Correct various labels and messages.
  • Various memory leaks and potential null pointer deferences have been fixed.
  • Handle invalid Bitcoin URIs using "bitcoin://" instead of "bitcoin:".
  • Several shutdown issues have been fixed.
  • Revert to "global progress indication", as starting from zero every time was considered too confusing for many users.
  • Check that keys stored in the wallet are valid at startup, and if not, report corruption.
  • Enable accessible widgets on Windows, so that people with screen readers such as NVDA can make sense of it.
  • Various build fixes.
  • If no password is specified to bitcoind, recommend a secure password.
  • Automatically focus and scroll to new "Send coins" entries in Bitcoin-Qt.
  • Show a message box for --help on Windows, for Bitcoin-Qt.
  • Add missing "About Qt" menu option to show built-in Qt About dialog.
  • Don't show "-daemon" as an option for Bitcoin-Qt, since it isn't available.
  • Update hard-coded fallback seed nodes, choosing recent ones with long uptime and versions at least 0.4.0.
  • Add checkpoint at block 168,000.

Thanks to everybody who contributed code or helped test this release:

Pieter Wuille
Luke Dashjr
Wladimir J. van der Laan
Gavin Andresen
Matt Corallo
Lars Rasmusson
Janne Pulkkinen
Gregory Maxwell
Daniel Folkinshteyn
Chris Moore

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

why does the Sourceforge link say 0.5.2 for win 32?

the choices below don't indicate a 0.5.3 win 64 bit version as far as i can see.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 06:34:21 PM

why does the Sourceforge link say 0.5.2 for win 32?
Fixed.

the choices below don't indicate a 0.5.3 win 64 bit version as far as i can see.
Win64 is not, never has been, and is not planned to ever be, supported... Win32 builds should run fine, since Win64 isn't really pure 64-bit (it's hybrid; both 32-bit and 64-bit)

triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 09:20:52 PM

Win64 is not, never has been, and is not planned to ever be, supported... Win32 builds should run fine, since Win64 isn't really pure 64-bit (it's hybrid; both 32-bit and 64-bit)
[/quote]

why?  isn't bitcoin something that could really benefit from the jump to 64-bit?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 09:23:12 PM

why?  isn't bitcoin something that could really benefit from the jump to 64-bit?
In short, no. The only benefit to 64-bit userspace is large virtual machines (over 2-4 GB RAM) and applications where a small boost in performance matters more than memory usage (64-bit uses ~twice as much memory). Also, no Bitcoin developers actually use Windows, and I don't think Ubuntu supports targeting Win64.

Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:03:39 AM

File this one under "you can't win."

I fired up the new client after several days, the progress bar immediately went to 99%, and stayed there for the next ten minutes. I guess some people found the old behavior confusing, but of what use is this behavior?

Hal Finney
chungy

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:57:43 AM

In short, no. The only benefit to 64-bit userspace is large virtual machines (over 2-4 GB RAM) and applications where a small boost in performance matters more than memory usage (64-bit uses ~twice as much memory). Also, no Bitcoin developers actually use Windows, and I don't think Ubuntu supports targeting Win64.

mingw64 should work fine on Ubuntu, but whether the Bitcoin client/daemon actually build for 64-bit Windows is another matter... and as you've already explained, a 64-bit Windows build is fairly pointless at this time, and it'd remain pointless until Microsoft drops 32-bit support (maybe in 10 years Tongue)
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 05:59:04 AM

I fired up the new client after several days, the progress bar immediately went to 99%, and stayed there for the next ten minutes. I guess some people found the old behavior confusing, but of what use is this behavior?
I should call you "Lazarus".

Welcome back.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 06:07:31 AM

I should call you "Lazarus".

Welcome back.

Isn't lazarus the pizza guy?
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:00:54 AM

Great work guys!

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 01:31:45 PM

The progress bar behavior was changed again? I personally found the older behavior more useful, since it actually showed progress elsewhere besides the initial download.

Maybe the progress bar could be hidden entirely/set to busy instead of showing a percentage of 99% if it only needs to download less than 1% of blocks?

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 05:29:41 PM

I would like the old progress bar back. This one is just useless.
ThePok

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:40:29 PM

Make the Progressbar show more details: not only 99%  but 99.67% That number would climb visible Smiley
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:49:02 PM

I would like the old progress bar back. This one is just useless.

Yeah definitely a regression.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 08:57:19 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2012, 09:20:58 PM by Luke-Jr

There's a bug in the new testnet mining code, so I'm running 0.5.4 now with that and a few other fixes. (Sorry guys, the progress bar is not reverted in 0.5.4.)

Edit: Nevermind, Gavin wants to hold off on 0.5.4 until BIP16 is ready, so it'll probably be another week or so. Also, both Wladimir and Gavin disagree with reverting the progress bar fix, sorry.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 10:18:30 PM

both Wladimir and Gavin disagree with reverting the progress bar fix, sorry.
Why? What sense does it make? A 99% bar is simply useless.

If most of the users do not like it (as is my impression), then I see no reason why it should not be reverted. Maybe vote?
slothbag

Activity: 369

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 10:37:51 PM

I agree, the 99% bar is silly. Everytime I load the app it shows 99% for a minute and then disappears.. Makes me think something's broken.

Bring back the useful progress bar!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 10:39:40 PM

I agree, the 99% bar is silly. Everytime I load the app it shows 99% for a minute and then disappears.. Makes me think something's broken.

Next thing we hear will be a call for "democracy" and compromise by including both progress bars. Submit a pull request.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2012, 11:02:02 PM

+1 agree with this

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
triplehelix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:20:52 PM

i'm new to bitcoin so still learning.  how are things like the progress bar usually addressed?  is it community driven or does gavin get to decide whatever he wants?
slothbag

Activity: 369

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:22:27 PM

rjk is onto something.. Include both progress bars, with a option to switch. Default can be absolute for noobs downloading block chain from scratch.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
March 16, 2012, 11:31:09 PM

rjk is onto something.. Include both progress bars, with a option to switch. Default can be absolute for noobs downloading block chain from scratch.

Or integrate the two... The global as it is, with a thinner one showing progress since startup laid over the bottom of the existing one in a color that is easy for our color-impaired friends to differentiate.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:01:53 AM

i'm new to bitcoin so still learning.  how are things like the progress bar usually addressed?  is it community driven or does gavin get to decide whatever he wants?
In practice, Gavin does what he wants, usually with all other developers in agreement or at least neutral. The recent P2SH argument was the rare exception, and neither side really had more developer support than the other.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2012, 12:55:07 AM

In practice, Gavin does what he wants, usually with all other developers in agreement or at least neutral. The recent P2SH argument was the rare exception, and neither side really had more developer support than the other.

thats not how i read it.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 01:47:08 AM

+1   

I hadn't started the client up in a week and when I did it just showed 99% which didn't give me any useful information at all
about how long it was going to take to finish downloading the blockchain.  New progress bar is fail! 
dlb76

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 10:52:12 PM

updated to 0.5.3.1-beta
Thanks for fixing that potential security vulnerability!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 02:49:25 AM

+1 agree with this

+1

Show the percentage based on blocks missing at the client startup. This makes sense both for initial download and later for catching up.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: