Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:57:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Petition Avaaz to Accept Bitcoin  (Read 2511 times)
Tusk (OP)

Activity: 444
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 01:43:03 PM

Avaaz is a great voice and movement for change, I'm surprised they don't accept Bitcoin?

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Avaazorg_Avaaz_should_accept_Bitcoin_donations/?oLobecb

Bitcoin and crypto currencies are the only neutral transparently auditable currencies and are not controlled by governments or corporate banking interests, transaction fees are lower so more funds go to the causes the get donated for. In fact Avaaz should be looking into creating its own Coin.

Bitcoin is the most effective way of gaining back power to the people and stopping oppressive governments or subversive corporate interests. See: - Bitcoin vs. Political Power: The Cryptocurrency Revolution - Stefan Molyneux at TNW Conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joITmEr4SjY

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." - George Orwell.

The Blockchain will record history going forward and in so doing it will free society from its "chains". Viva the blockchain Viva! From the ashes rises the Phoenix.

From the ashes rises the Phoenix. Viva the block chain, Viva BitCoin!
Tusk (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:34:54 PM

I  have for some time now been a supporter of Avaaz.org, it has 37,540,562 subscribers, Avaaz is only five years old, but has exploded to become the globe's largest and most powerful online activist network. — The Guardian

I also make small donations from time to time but am surprised to see they do not as yet support BTC donations. A week ago I started a petition to request Avaaz begin accepting them. So far I only have 6 supporters, who I must thank for sharing my sentiments and taking the time to vote  Smiley.

The challenge with all networks is the initial building of the snowball, the same is true for campaigns. I think Avaaz could be so much more powerful if they merge their platform with the blockchain, this will allow for many interesting features as well as provide a powerful environment for both the crypto community and the lobby environment, i.e. strong symbiosis.

to gain critical mass one has to bang a drum but to attract attention without becoming annoying or coming across as a spammer while do so. To try generate some spark and traction I thought of offering some LTBCoin to those who sign the petition, the idea is to reward empathy and incentivise activism and in this way ramp up critical mass.

The reasons why I am willing to donate towards the campaign is because it has multiple benefits: -

Early signatories get some LTBCoin for their efforts, this also expands the ecosystem and use of LTBCoin making the ones I retain more valuable

As the campaign grows we will attract a new audience of socially proactive community members from Avaaz to LTB and BTC, this is a good thing for both Crypto and AVaaz

We hopeful are successful in getting Avaaz to accept BTC (perhaps with time we will convince them to drop fiat all together)

Avaaz will hopefully start looking at what LTB is doing and further explore symbiosis (placing 37.5 Million activists on the Blockchains should be a very powerful combination)

To Start with I want to put 10 000 LTBCoin into the campaign, how much LTBCoin should I offer per Vote? I would like to hear others input (it must be attractive enough to get signatories but want as big a spread as possible). I was thinking of using the LTB Forum, Share Distributor feature to disseminate the LTBCoins at the end of each week. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions

PS don't forget to sign the petition ;-)

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Avaazorg_Avaaz_should_accept_Bitcoin_donations/?nLobecb

Tnx

jump4ever

Activity: 257
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:49:22 PM

signed the petition.
would be great if they started accepting Bitcoin
Tusk (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 07:59:42 PM

Thanks Jump, If you have a counterparty wallet I would like to send you some LTBCoin  Post your address below

Much appreciated

jump4ever

Activity: 257
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 08:34:58 PM

1J6Jt86LUobJBJSE6CKei1u8qF3siU1Sgc here is my wallet.
thanks for the coins
Tusk (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 11:12:34 PM

Hi Jump, I just sent you 100LTB Coins. I just got a confirmation "You sent 100 LTBCOIN from My Address #1 to address 1J6Jt86LUobJBJSE6CKei1u8qF3siU1Sgc"

I have set aside 10 000 coins for this, so 99 more signatories to go (please post your counterwallet addresses below like Jump did). to minimise my transaction fees, the rest I will do weekly posts on Saturday starting next weekend  Smiley.

Thanks

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:27:02 AM

Is there any truth to the following. I don't think an activist org. should pay $180,000 to its founder annually.
Code:
Avaaz received over $6.7 million in 2010, and paid its President over $180,000 as a salary
http://urwreview.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/xxxx-posted-12.html

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Tusk (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:59:13 AM

Hi Goxed,

A great article that raises some very important questions about Avaaz.

1) why if they are a grass roots activism organisation do they not already support BTC donations?
2) their sight is not that interactive and does not allow campaigners a platform to see all other campaigns
3) Their Facebook page only publishes campaigns they chose to promote
4) There is a disconnect between the issues that reach high visibility on Internet forums and the campaigns that Avaaz promotes

It could well be that Avaaz is a subterfuge for true activism, a way to sanitize and manage public outcry by getting them to focus on populist issues and draw attention away from the root cases that need to be addressed.

For these reasons I thought it a good test to use their own platform to request they accept Bitcoin donations. If we are successful in drawing enough attention it will bring Avaaz into direct conflict with VISA Paypal  etc. this will be interesting. It will give a way to monitor how much is donated via the BTC Address.

It will bring us into contact with a proactive audience of 37.5 million many of whom will not be familiar with BTC and its disruptive capabilities,  they will also see the merits of its neutrality and frictionless nature of BTC and the implications of coupling blockchain technology with campaign signatories a true public ledger for historical record.

If I'm wrong and Avaaz is a well intentioned neutral organisation then this will just make them that much more effective.

cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2014, 04:57:46 PM

Think it's a great idea, already signed up to quite a few Avaaz petitions in the past. Crypto-currencies are perfect for making donations to charities / capaigns.
Tusk (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 06:29:33 PM

Thanks cryptasm,

Please post you countewallet address so I can pay you out some LTBCoin on Saturday.
you can post here or preferably on The LTBsite

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/forum/post/avaaz-should-accept-bitcoin-donations

Where if you have a profile and you participate you can earn even more LTBCoins, for more info about how the coins are issued here is a link http://ltbcoin.com/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: