Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:27:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiction novels  (Read 3466 times)
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 02:40:50 AM

Reamde by Neal Stephenson is pretty great.

Good enough that I read it once, then read it again about 2 weeks later, which I don't think I've ever done before.

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:33:44 AM

Bernard Cornwell: superb historical fiction
- The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, Book 1)
- Vagabond (The Grail Quest, Book 2)
- Heretic (The Grail Quest, Book 3)
- Agincourt
- Gallows Thief

I fear that some of the books in my list are not getting the attention they deserve. Consider Bernard Cornwell. He does an extraordinary amount of research and really puts you into the past. You can't go wrong with these if you like medieval battles, highway robbery, blood and mud, sieges, pillage, running out of rations, deserting the army, and in general, taking a tour of the Hundred Years War.

Of course, the above doesn't really apply to Gallows Thief. That's another story entirely. And a good one too.

It's on my list. Can't wait.
stochastic (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:59:21 AM

Bernard Cornwell: superb historical fiction
- The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, Book 1)
- Vagabond (The Grail Quest, Book 2)
- Heretic (The Grail Quest, Book 3)
- Agincourt
- Gallows Thief

I fear that some of the books in my list are not getting the attention they deserve. Consider Bernard Cornwell. He does an extraordinary amount of research and really puts you into the past. You can't go wrong with these if you like medieval battles, highway robbery, blood and mud, sieges, pillage, running out of rations, deserting the army, and in general, taking a tour of the Hundred Years War.

Of course, the above doesn't really apply to Gallows Thief. That's another story entirely. And a good one too.

It's on my list. Can't wait.

This sounds like good reads.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 03:23:47 PM

Anyone read any good contemporary fiction lately?  Any genre will do.  I finally finished my bookshelf and need some recommendations.

As promised (to stochastic), here's the link to the over 150 mostly fiction books I have to offer for free, albeit paying actual shipping (no handling fee) cost via Bitcoin. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/sets/72157629246635790/

There's 20 images that you'll be able to view the actual books and their titles. The images are large enough where you can blow them up to read them quite clearly. Two of the images is below.

Please allow stochastic to pick first, for it's his thread and I promised him this opportunity first. Simply put your request in this thread or PM me. If you PM and want to keep your selection private, I may still go ahead and post that your selection, e.g., Sex With Turtles, is no longer avaiable, albeit I will allows know what you're into.

There's no limit on how many books you desire--one or all (rest).

Happy hunting! Happy reading!

~Bruno~

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 04:33:26 PM

Jeff Long: thrillers with a haunted feeling
- The Wall
- The Reckoning
- The Descent
- Year Zero

Here's some info about another author on my list. Jeff Long is rather underrated. He writes good stuff and has a certain style. The Wall was the fourth book I read by him. I bought it one evening, took it home, climbed into bed, and didn't stop reading it until about 3:00 AM when I finished it. The Reckoning follows a journalist accompanying a small team into the Cambodian Jungle. It was haunting and creepy. In fact, all his stuff is haunting and creepy. He used to be a Himalayan climber, and has spent a lot of time in the stranger parts of the World.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:20:53 PM

Peter F Hamilton is definitely missing in the list above. I'd definitely recommend him.  Otherwise: nice list Smiley

I actually have some of his books. What would be the first one to read?

Also, have you read any on my list?

The first book I read by him was Fallen Dragon, which I loved, following this I read his Night's Dawn Trilogy and Commonwealth Saga (including the misspent youth "prequal") and I am currently reading the first book of the Void Trilogy (which takes place in the same universe as the CommonWealth Saga 1200 years in the future.

I'd recommend reading all these books, but maybe start with Fallen Dragon because it's a one book story so it comes to the point quicker. All the different series have a tremendous amount of story arcs so the first couple of hundred of pages just introduces the new story arcs which come together so beautifully during the course of the book/series.

From your list I have read:

Jack Vance - Planet of adventure
Larry Niven - The Mote in God's Eye and Lucifer's Hammer
Vernor Vinge -  A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky [Deepness in the sky has the best aliens I have ever read about, also in October a direct sequel came out "The Children of the Sky" which I am certainly going to read]

But many of these are on my to read list and I recognize many authors names from other books I have read. Larry Niven's Ringworld series and Farmer's to your broken bodies go are already on my Kindle waiting to be read following the void Trilogy. I need more time to read Smiley [I'm in my mid-twenties btw so plenty of time]
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:39:39 PM

Jack Vance - Planet of adventure

Did you like Planet of Adventure?

If you did not, read it again. If you enjoyed it, read it again. The first time you read it, you may just be focusing on the story, and missing the underlying ambiance which is so pervasive in his work. The book is just amazing. For example: the flight in the stolen Dirdir aircar across the steppes, the voyage across the ocean in the sailing vessel, Aila Woudiver's shenanigans, and so on.

Vance isn't just adventure. His worlds are filled with charletans, scoundrels, knaves, cutthroats, pickpockets, blackmailers, scam artists, liars, thieves, popinjays (yes, popinjays), bufoons, braggarts, dandies, unctuous and uppity store clerks, snobs, haughty women, and so on.

And the best part, no matter the station or education of the above, they are quite eloquent and articulate while engaging in their dastardly shenanigans.

And definitely read Demon Princes. You're in for a treat.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 07:49:58 PM

I read it a long time ago when I was about 14 I think. I remember liking it, but I can't even recall the exact storyline (I think I recall the story starting out with a crash on an unknown planet). So I'm in for a re-read.

I have never read Demon Princes at all (I actually don't recall reading anything by Jack Vance other than Planet of Adventure which I found on my dad's book shelve).
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:01:31 PM

I read it a long time ago when I was about 14 I think. I remember liking it, but I can't even recall the exact storyline (I think I recall the story starting out with a crash on an unknown planet). So I'm in for a re-read.

Ok - that's the thing. To a fourteen year old, it reads like classic adventure. To an experienced adult reader, it reads like literature, with lots of ironies and satire to indulge oneself in. You definitely need to reread it. The great thing is that it's enjoyable at both levels.

I have never read Demon Princes at all (I actually don't recall reading anything by Jack Vance other than Planet of Adventure which I found on my dad's book shelve).

Read Demon Princes. But I'd suggest giving Planet of Adventure a reread first, with the intent on studying his use of language, and the way his characters speak, and the overall ambiance he creates.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:33:19 PM

Again +1 to all said here. Vance is the absolute master of atmospheres.

Yes. And it's not just us saying it. Dan Simmons (on my list) loves him. So does George R. R. Martin (author of A Game of Thrones). There are books on Jack Vance which simply discuss his use of words.
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:41:12 PM

Jack Vance: Lord of Language, Emperor of Dreams.
frograven

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 09:38:31 PM

Good enough that I read it once, then read it again about 2 weeks later, which I don't think I've ever done before.

Neal Stephenson is a great author, but I found REAMDE annoying.. I did finish it though. It starts off great, but then the whole plot goes off into action movie territory after the ludicrous coincidence when the protagonists run into Jones.

The rest of the book then proceeds like an action movie relentlessly over an incredible volume of pages - I wonder if they will cast Daniel Craig as Sokolev.

other books worth checking out: AMERICAN TABLOID, James Ellroy. 

stochastic (OP)

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 06:14:22 AM

Anyone read any good contemporary fiction lately?  Any genre will do.  I finally finished my bookshelf and need some recommendations.

As promised (to stochastic), here's the link to the over 150 mostly fiction books I have to offer for free, albeit paying actual shipping (no handling fee) cost via Bitcoin. http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/sets/72157629246635790/

There's 20 images that you'll be able to view the actual books and their titles. The images are large enough where you can blow them up to read them quite clearly. Two of the images is below.

Please allow stochastic to pick first, for it's his thread and I promised him this opportunity first. Simply put your request in this thread or PM me. If you PM and want to keep your selection private, I may still go ahead and post that your selection, e.g., Sex With Turtles, is no longer avaiable, albeit I will allows know what you're into.

There's no limit on how many books you desire--one or all (rest).

Happy hunting! Happy reading!

~Bruno~

It is ok, other people can pick first.  It may take me too long to decide.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 12:01:58 PM

Free, mostly novels! Titles can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/sets/72157629246635790/
Just pay actual shipping cost with BTC.

~Bruno~
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 19, 2012, 04:32:33 PM

Free, mostly novels! Titles can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151463@N04/sets/72157629246635790/

You do know that those are the type of books that can be found at the 'buck a bag' sales at the Friends of the Library bookstores? Fill a bag with as many books as you can and pay a buck.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2012, 10:05:45 PM

You do know that those are the type of books that can be found at the 'buck a bag' sales at the Friends of the Library bookstores? Fill a bag with as many books as you can and pay a buck.

You are correct. I paid $20 for over 2,000 books a couple years ago, keeping some, sold most, gave a bunch away, etc. I figure the worse case scenario was perhaps a couple titles would tickle somebody's fancy here, hence the posting. I wasn't trying to make a killing of this for, in fact, I lose money if you take into consideration the time, packaging, trip to the PO, etc.

Thank you for your post, FA, thus allowing me the opportunity to set the record straight.

~Bruno~
FirstAscent

View Profile
March 20, 2012, 08:19:29 PM

Robert Harris: historical and conteporary thrillers
- Fatherland
- Pompeii
- Enigma
- Archangel

Robert Harris deserves a second mention. He's another author who meticulously researches the time period his stories take place in. The above four are historical thrillers. Topics include code breaking the Enigma machines using computers known as bombes, Roman engineers and landlords, the Third Reich, and Stalin.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 02:45:24 PM

Neal Stephenson is a great author, but I found REAMDE annoying.. I did finish it though. It starts off great, but then the whole plot goes off into action movie territory after the ludicrous coincidence when the protagonists run into Jones.

The rest of the book then proceeds like an action movie relentlessly over an incredible volume of pages - I wonder if they will cast Daniel Craig as Sokolev.

I can see where you're coming from with that statement. The lead up is so worth it though.

It might also help that I read it on my iphone, so I don't really notice much as far as page counts go.

FirstAscent

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 04:28:40 PM

Robert Holdstock: contemporary haunted horror fantasy
- Mythago Wood

I just read this one for the second time. It was a World Fantasy Award winner. Two brothers return from WWII and discover the old growth forest on their father's estate is a zone where the legends and myths within one's memories slowly become reality within the wood. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: