Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:34:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does ping to pool matter?  (Read 1746 times)
btcxyzzz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2012, 07:46:53 AM

I see people at eclipsemc.com mining pool are saying something like "mining pool address for US residents is http://..." . I'm asking if this does matter at all, what's the response time of pool you want to join?

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Otomakan Ishotas

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 08:45:12 AM

Does ping to pool matter?

Yes.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 09:11:40 AM

it matters, but not much.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 09:15:14 AM

Not to a groundbreaking extent, but it would result in more stales and rejects. Unless your ping is outrageous, it wouldn't matter. I connect over the continents to ABC and BTCGuild, and I can't really say the extra 0.01% is caused by my ping.
atsoat

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 11:49:25 AM

I came to the conclusion that is was adversely affecting me when using p2pool - but that works slightly differently to most pools and is more latency sensitive.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 02:45:04 PM

I came to the conclusion that is was adversely affecting me when using p2pool - but that works slightly differently to most pools and is more latency sensitive.
But you're connecting to a local p2pool node, so there's essentially 0 ping.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
atsoat

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 04:13:08 PM

But you're connecting to a local p2pool node, so there's essentially 0 ping.

Yes p2pool is running locally, but approximately every 10 secs the work you are doing is invalidated by long polling (which is delayed by your latency). So, my miner spends my latency time, working on invalid work.

Likewise, every time you get a share that p2pool reports to the rest of the network, it is delayed by your latency. So high latency increases the chances someone elses share will turn yours into an orphan/stale.

Someone with better connectivity and latency on p2pool can achieve better efficiency than me.
Xmufa23X

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 18, 2012, 06:07:28 PM

I don't think it does. Or at least, I haven't noticed a difference. Eclipse is awesome! Inaba is a cool guy as well
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: